Toolman's Log

Nice work!

I read at the beginning of your log that you’ve already done several cycles, I’m curious if you continue the arm work like triceps extensions and curls all the way through the cycle? I’m just about to finish my 2nd week of tens and am wondering if the extra arm work is hurting my compound lifts. Just wondered how you feel about it?

I do arms all the way through. I don't think training arms hurts at all, unless you're overtraining them. Two to four sets per week for biceps as I do, for example, is probably not overtraining. You should know by the end of the ten's if your compound lifts are suffering. If you use 5-10% more weight this cycle than the last one, or over your 10RM as the case may be, then I wouldn't worry.

I've had a similar problem with T-shirts. I suspect they've been shrinking up in the laundry...
Unfortunately, I have not had a similar problem with my jeans being too big in the waist. *sigh*

Nice deads. I think deadlifts are the best remedy for a bad back. Not much point in going to the gym if you can't do deads.

Thanks bro!

Try washing in cold water, btw.

Squats (Warmup) 2@BWx15, 45x10, 95x2, 115x2 (Work sets) 120x15!
Leg Extension 2@205x10↑
Calf Press 2@330x12↑
Bench (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x5, 115x5 (Work sets) 135x10!
Cable Crossover 2@55x10,8 I'm going to be dropping these.
Abs - Oblique crunches on the floor and Incline situps (third rung)

Great workout all around. Legs felt great on, and after, squats and extensions. Really happy with my bench press today. Two perfect sets of 135, which is what I did on my last workout of the ten's last cycle. 150 at the end of next week would be amazing! Not happy with cable crossovers any more however. I can do them with no problem, except getting the handles in and out of position. I'm afraid to tear up my shoulders. I think I'll go back to butterflies next week.

Can't wait till tomorrow!

Today's workout:

Deadlifts (warm up) 2@BWx15, 2@45x10, 95x5,115x3, (work sets) 2@125x10!↑
Nautilus Low Row 2@130x10!↑ Good control on these. Really focused on eccentric motion.
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x5, 75x1 (work set) 80x10!
Nautilus Laterals (warm up) 2@25x10, 50x5, (work set) 60x10!
Rear Delt on cable machine 2@10x10 (just screwing around but may include these for a while)
Tricep Extensions 2@140x10↑ (can't go up much more on these. Only one plate left in the stack!)
EZ Curl (warm up) 2@40x12, 2@50x5, 60x2, 80x1, (work set) 70x12
Concentration curl 20x12 (more screwing around)

So I like that I can increase the volume a bit on this split and have been doing extra sets and/or exercises just to see if my recovery ability can handle it. Not a lot of soreness so far, so that's a good sign. Started getting a number of comments from friends about my appearance, which is very motivating! Now it's two days off and rest up for the last week of the ten's. I'm hoping to get some photos taken next week so we'll see how things are going.

Tuesday:
Squats (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x10, 115x5 (Work set) 135x10!
Leg Extension 225x10!
Calf Press 2@340x12↑
Bench (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x1 (Work sets) 145x10, 145x9!
Butterflies 50x10↑ (Replacing cable crossovers)
Abs - Incline situps (third rung)

So after reading some of the posts on warmups, on some exercises I started adding a single rep set with a weight above my goal for that day's work set (see Bench Press for example). Today on squats, however, I was supposed to do a work set with 125 so I put 135 on the bar. I then totally forgot I was only supposed to do one or two reps and did a full set! I guess it just goes to show how much physical performance is mental. Great workout, again! Back, shoulders, and arms today. Probably won't be able to get to the gym until this evening which means that's all I'll be able to think about all day.

Last edited:
Wednesday:

Deadlifts (warm up) 2@45x15, 95x5, 125x3, (work sets) 135x12, 135x10!↑
Nautilus Low Row 2@135x10!↑
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x5, 75x1 (work set) 85x10! *
Nautilus Laterals (warm up) 2@25x10, 50x5, (work set) 65x10!
Tricep Extensions [email protected]↑*
EZ Curl 75x10*
Overhead tricep extensions/Concentration curl 25x12 (superset)

Deadlifts are coming along. I feel like my form is just right on these, but I think I'll find someone to look at it and correct me if I'm wrong. Started including additional warmups on Nautilus Laterals which is helping. Much less pain in my shoulders on the work set. Got an intense pump throughout the workout and beyond! Lots of new veins popping out in my arms during concentration curls especially! Awesome! Only two workouts left in the ten's then I'll try and take some pictures and see what happens. Weight is creeping up slowly, only about a pound in the last week, but it's creeping up. I've always been a hardgainer and with my job being pretty physical getting enough calories is not easy, and expensive. My goal was to put on about five pounds of lean bodyweight from the beginning of this log until March, so I'm not dissatisfied. It's never enough though, is it?

*Edit: Just checked my log for the last cycle and I've met or beat all of the weights for the same exercises with one workout to go in this microcycle.

Last edited:
"Deadlifts are coming along. I feel like my form is just right on these, but I think I'll find someone to look at it and correct me if I'm wrong. "

1. Start with the bar on the floor.
2. Pick it up.
3. Put it back down.
4. Do it again

You might want to keep your back straight...

"Weight is creeping up slowly, only about a pound in the last week, but it's creeping up. "

A pound per week is nice.

Toolman said:
*Edit: Just checked my log for the last cycle and I've met or beat all of the weights for the same exercises with one workout to go in this microcycle.

That’s great! Looks like you had things planned out well and did it right.

For many, Dead Lifts are and acquired taste but once you acquire it they become addicting.

Last edited:
"Deadlifts are coming along. I feel like my form is just right on these, but I think I'll find someone to look at it and correct me if I'm wrong. "

1. Start with the bar on the floor.
2. Pick it up.
3. Put it back down.
4. Do it again

You might want to keep your back straight...

"Weight is creeping up slowly, only about a pound in the last week, but it's creeping up. "

A pound per week is nice.

Actually, I never let the weight touch the floor. I stand on a platform and at this point the largest plate on the bar is 25lbs giving me more range of motion. It's the keeping the back straight part I'm not sure of.

Saturday:

Squats (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x10, 115x5, 135x3, 150x1, (Work sets) 140x10, 140x7!
Leg Extension 235x10, 235x8
Calf Press 360x15, 360x12↑
Bench (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x5, 115x5, 135x3, 155x1 (Work sets) 2@150x10! (Had to use rest/pause on the second set)
Chest fly machine 2@80x10
Abs

I'm out of town for the weekend and able to train at my favorite gym. This one has a much bigger selection of equipment than I'm used to, and some very competitive members working out there. Very motivating! The chest machine I used is like a butterfly machine, or "pec deck", but you grip handles more like cable crossovers. It's much easier on my shoulder joints, especially mounting and dismounting, and I was able to get all those little fibers firing after what was for me some heavy bench presses. Had to get serious strip down to my string tank on that one! Also, the leg extension machine I used seemed much harder than the Nautilus model I like at my regular gym, but I used the scheduled weight anyway. My quads and pecs are feeling pretty good this morning!

This was the first of my last two workouts of the Ten's, which is my favorite part of the HST cycle. It seems I get the most growth during this time, and my muscles are hard and pumped most of the time during this phase. A good time to take some pics:

View attachment 199703fdb01.jpg04FL01.jpg05sc01.jpg

Nice pics and thanks for mentioning you did screen caps. I’d been trying to take my own picture but flexing and pushing the button at the same time just wasn’t working out. Seems video is the key. :)

Thanks. It was hard finding frames where everything is posed, especially legs and glutes, and I had a decent facial expression. Lot's of grimacing and puffed up cheeks. It's much easier to find good shots at 15 frames per second than four or five a minute.

This is the last of the pics, I swear:

Legs:
11Legs02.jpg10Legs01.jpg

Last edited:
It's never enough though, is it?

Great work, Toolman - lookin' good! And, you're right, it's never enough.

Deadlifts (warm up) 2@45x15 (On Smith machine waiting for a power rack), 95x5, 115x3, 135x3, 145x1 (work sets) 2@140x10!↑
Low Row 140x10, 140x8!↑
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x5, 85x3 (work sets) 2@90x10 (Rest/pause after sixth rep on second set)
Rear Delt Machine 2@80x10 (Wish we had this at my regular gym!)
Dumbbell Laterals 30x10, 30x7
Dumbbell Curl 2@35x10↑
Tricep Extensions 2@155x10↑

Good workout except I was weak on the second set of shoulders. I think this is probably due to all the pumping and posing I did for photos the night before, so I'm not concerned especially since the delt's feel great this morning! I plan to up all my weights anyway even though I didn't hit my goal for this workout. A little DOMS in my chest today from Saturday's workout as well, which I'll take as a sign that growth is occurring.

One more day off and I start on the Five's. Time to start using the big-boy weights. Well bigger-boy anyway.

Last edited:
Wednesday 12/15 Cycle 5, Week 5, Workout 1 - three sets of five

Squats (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x10, 115x5, 135x3, (Work sets) 3@145x5↑
Leg Extension 3@240x5
Calf Press 3@450x5!
Bench (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x5, 115x5, 135x3, 2@145x5 (Work sets) 2@155x5
Incline Dumbbell Press (While waiting for the butterfly machine) 30x10, 2@35x10
Butteflies 2@80x5
Inclines 4th rung.
Abs

Another good workout. Felt very strong on all exercises and having increased all weights feel like I'm putting in a lot more effort, not struggling but getting stronger contractions of the working muscles. I like that. I've been focusing on being a bit more explosive on concentric movements and slowing down on eccentric, and this may be helping. Bench felt very good, until I realized I only had two fives on the end of the bar instead of two tens. It was actually five pounds less than my last workout before I realized it and added the extra ten pounds. Still was able to get two good sets at 155, which is big for me. My goal of 170 by the end of the cycle (the end of next week) seems inevitable.

I've been thinking of doing incline dumbbell presses on my next cycle, so I've decided to include them in my workout now as a warm up so I start getting used to the movement. This way I think I'll get a better test of my RM's on these at the end of this cycle.

Deadlifts (warm up) 2@45x15, 95x5, 115x3, 135x3 (work sets) 3@150x5!↑
Low Row 3#145x5!↑
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x5, (work sets) 90x5,4,5!
Nautilus Laterals (warm up) 2@50x10, 65x5, (work sets) 3@75x5
Tricep Extensions 3@160x5↑
Dumbbell Curl 3@35x5↑

Great workout! Very satisfied with my performance on back and shoulders. Really beginning to love doing deadlifts, and surprised myself with what I'm able to do with barbell presses and the Nautilus lateral machine. Saw some new bumps in my shoulders and lots of stuff squirming around under the skin during some of the movements that I haven't seen in a while. Very cool!

Will enjoy a day off today and looking forward to training both days this weekend. I love weekend training because I can go when I'm ready and not when time allows, and not be rushed during.

Saturday:

Squats (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x10, 115x5, 135x3, (Work sets) 3@150x5-
Leg Extension 3@240x5
Calf Press 3@470x10
Incline Dumbbell Press 3@35x10 (warm up for bench press)
Bench (Warmup) 2@45x15, 95x5, 115x5, 135x3 (Work sets) 3@160x5!
Butterflies 3@185x5
Abs

Excellent workout! Was able to go ATG on squats during warmups, though not quite deep enough on the work sets. I'll keep the weight the same for the next workout and work on going deeper. Pushing 160 on the bench press was a personal best and felt great! Got a little too much lactic acid buildup during abs and couldn't get all the reps I wanted. Not sure what that was about. Might be diet, or maybe I'm just going too fast. Everything feels good today and ready to go back this morning for some back, shoulders, and arms.

I've been concerned that I'm not gaining like I want, though I still have eleven weeks before I start cutting (if I decide to enter a show in June). However, I'm constantly getting stronger in my lifts, my muscles are harder, and I'm seeing more muscularity so maybe I needn't worry. Don't know how I can eat any more than I do already, if that's the problem.

Back