Toolman's Log

The only way I can eat enough is drinking four 500kCal shakes each day with solid meal in between. The nice thing about the shakes is they digest quickly and take care of 2000 of the roughly 3000kCal a day I need while working out to grow. My pre and post workout nutrition account for another 500kCal so I only need to find another 500 or so to round out the day which makes it much easier than trying to count 3000kCal a day. Ok most people would find that boring but then I’m use to military food anyway. ;) Until I started HST I never realized how much I was under eating for growth. Consequently here at 50 years old I’ve put on more lean body mass in 8 weeks than I did in almost 8 months when I was power lifting at age 35. I know we are all different but if you’re doing the work and not seeing the gains take another look at your nutrition.

If my experience is anything I don’t believe there anything wrong with your abs. I was shocked during my first cycle I just finished to wake up the next morning after a heavy workout to find my abs hurt more than any other part of my body even though they were getting no direct work, only indirect from compound lifts especially when they got heavy.

BTW congratulations on the PB on the bench. Reaching new heights is a great motivator.

Last edited:
Thanks Grunt. What mix do you use for the shakes? I've got protein powder that I use on training days, but it doesn't have that many calories. Most of the weight gainer powders are too expensive for what you get IMO, and I'm trying to keep my food bill under ten bucks a day. Most of those gainers are around 2-3 bucks a serving. Still, eating a pound of pasta (before cooking) or a half dozen potatoes every day (plus oats, veggies, eight eggs, 2 pounds of ground turkey, and a couple protein bars) isn't getting me where I need to be. Not fast enough, anyway.

Sunday's Workout - End of cycle five, week five.

Deadlifts (warm up) 3@45x15, 95x5, 115x3, 135x1 (work sets) 3@160x5!↑
Low Row 2@150x5↑ 1@155x5!!
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x5, (work sets) 3@97x5! (1lb collars added)
Nautilus Laterals (warm up) 3@50x10 (work sets) 3@80x5!
Tricep Extensions 3@155x5↑
Dumbbell Curl 3@40x5!!

Cruising right along with another good workout. I've decided that my warm-ups may be too long. Typically I'll start with light weights and high reps, around fifteen, then add weight and drop reps as I warm up. This could be six or seven sets before getting to the work sets. For now I'll just do three sets of light weight, then just a couple of test reps at higher weights, then get on to the heart of the matter. Added an extra 5lbs on deadlifts over what was predicted for this session. Same with the last set of low rows, so maybe I'm right about warm-ups. Shoulders felt great so I went to town on presses and laterals as well.

On triceps, I had to change machines because I'm using the whole stack on the other one. I had to guestimate what the weight should be on the new machine since they are different designs and the resistance is different. I did this during my last workout by completing three sets on the old machine, then immediately going to the new one. It feels about ten pounds heavier so I dropped my goal weight by ten pounds. I'm happy to say that I expect to max out this machine as well by the end of this cycle. I've been doing tricep extensions since May so it's time to try something different next time anyway. It blows me away that I'm curling 40 pound dumbbells too!

Now a couple days off and back Wednesday for the last week of Five's. I think I'll go right into RM tests for a week after that then begin SD.

Due to price or at least what I perceived as to high a price I’ve been using my own concoction. So far Whey protein seem to be cost effective/gram, I‘m just buying what they sell at Walmart, though maybe Amazon might be a little cheaper depending on price. I agree that most of the designer mixes I’ve seen jack up the price. Though I haven’t used it this might be helpful in conjunction with Amazon to find the most cost effective mix.

I’ve found that protein is the highest price factor but I’ve been lazy about searching for the best buy so I’ve been using a mix of the following:

Whey protein (fast absorbed protein)
Liquid egg protein (medium absorbed protein)
Cottage Cheese (both fast and long absorbed protein)
Olive Oil (mono-saturated fat for testosterone building and heart healthy fats)
Walnuts (for heart healthy fats)
Oat meal (for slow digesting carbs, fiber, heart health)
Broccoli (for general health and anti-estrogen effects)
Coco (for mood elevation and flavour)
Cinnamon (for lowering insulin response and flavour. Not used just post workout.)

I haven’t researched the available protein mixes though I was planning to do it over the holidays. I would like to find something that pre mixes the various proteins that costs less than buying them at “Wally World” the way I’m doing now. Just one less thing to mess with. This site might help though I haven't don't any research yet:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/proteinfinder.htm

I mix 4 identical shakes for each day which takes care of 2000kCal.

I also buy my Creatine at Walmart though I imagine I could get it cheaper from Amazon.

So far the most cost effective protein I’ve found it the whey protein if compared by price/gram of protein provided.

Deadlifts (warm up) 3@45x15, 95x5, 115x3, 135x1 (work sets) 3@160x5!↑

Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x5, (work sets) 3@97x5! (1lb collars added)

I've decided that my warm-ups may be too long. Typically I'll start with light weights and high reps, around fifteen, then add weight and drop reps as I warm up. This could be six or seven sets before getting to the work sets.
Warm-ups are important -- all the more so as the work sets start to get heavy, and particularly if you're shooting for a 1RM. However, I agree that a long warm-up may begin to tax your strength before you get to the work sets. What you have recorded looks okay, though you might want to limit your 10s and 15s to one set, rather than two or three.

I've had a lot of luck with doing a few triples for a weight higher than my work set. It sort of gets all the muscle fibers engaged and makes the work sets seem (a very little bit) lighter.

Warm-ups are important -- all the more so as the work sets start to get heavy, and particularly if you're shooting for a 1RM. However, I agree that a long warm-up may begin to tax your strength before you get to the work sets. What you have recorded looks okay, though you might want to limit your 10s and 15s to one set, rather than two or three.

I've had a lot of luck with doing a few triples for a weight higher than my work set. It sort of gets all the muscle fibers engaged and makes the work sets seem (a very little bit) lighter.

I find that I have a lot less joint pain if I start with some higher rep sets, with a lot of stretching in between. It usually takes two to three sets at the beginning of each bodypart before I feel ready. I had then been doing more medium weight sets as I work my way up to the work sets, and there is where I think I'm limiting myself. I've tried that trick of using a heavier-than-scheduled weight for a couple reps before lowering it to the work set, but haven't made it a habit. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to try it again this week.

Due to price or at least what I perceived as to high a price I’ve been using my own concoction. So far Whey protein seem to be cost effective/gram, I‘m just buying what they sell at Walmart, though maybe Amazon might be a little cheaper depending on price. I agree that most of the designer mixes I’ve seen jack up the price. Though I haven’t used it this might be helpful in conjunction with Amazon to find the most cost effective mix.

I’ve found that protein is the highest price factor but I’ve been lazy about searching for the best buy so I’ve been using a mix of the following:

Whey protein (fast absorbed protein)
Liquid egg protein (medium absorbed protein)
Cottage Cheese (both fast and long absorbed protein)
Olive Oil (mono-saturated fat for testosterone building and heart healthy fats)
Walnuts (for heart healthy fats)
Oat meal (for slow digesting carbs, fiber, heart health)
Broccoli (for general health and anti-estrogen effects)
Coco (for mood elevation and flavour)
Cinnamon (for lowering insulin response and flavour. Not used just post workout.)

I haven’t researched the available protein mixes though I was planning to do it over the holidays. I would like to find something that pre mixes the various proteins that costs less than buying them at “Wally World” the way I’m doing now. Just one less thing to mess with. This site might help though I haven't don't any research yet:

Wow. Looks pretty tasty, actually. Ever use liquid egg whites instead of the egg protein? Might be a cheaper alternative. I too have been using a lot of cottage cheese, since I found out it was a great source for Leucine. Not sure about putting broccoli in the shake. I eat plenty of it already.

You may want to check out trueprotein.com. You can "build" your own mix by picking and choosing from the different types of proteins, carbs, flavors, etc. Most proteins are about ten bucks a pound.

At first I was separating egg white’s from the yokes to make my shakes but between the cost and the trouble I found the liquid egg whites was a better deal.

Right now I can’t find a better source of slow release protein than for the price then cottage cheese. If I find one I will let you know. For quick release whey protein isolates seem to be the most cost effective.

Is put broccoli in the shake only because when I started I didn’t have accesses to DIM which has the same chemical composition and purpose. I’m also a believer that natural sources of nutrients are generally better than artificial[ ones, only because of the unknown factors.

Squats (Warmup) 3@45x10, 95x3, 115x3, 135x2, (Work sets) 3@150x5-
Leg Extension 3@250x5!
Bench (Warmup) 3@45x10, 95x3, 115x3, 135x2 (Work sets) 165x1,5,5,4
Butterflies 3@190x5!
Calf Press 3@540x5

Not what I would call a great workout. My muscles felt flat and joints were tight the whole time. I did manage to improve form and range of motion on squats, but will keep this weight for my next workout. I was also able to increase weights on all exercises, but bench press still wasn't great. I let an idiot in the gym blow my concentration on the first set, hence only one rep. I then decided to do a fourth set to make up for it. Still, I'm wondering if three sets of five is too much this late in the cycle. Also, in regards to bench, I adopted some advice I got from someone who said you shouldn't lower the weight bringing your arms below 90 degrees. I think now this is not great advice and will go back to my old style of bringing the weight down to my chest. I also forgot I was going to add incline dumbbell press as a warmup, so that may also be why my bench was suffering a little bit.

I also have to admit that my nutrition the night before and yesterday was not exemplary. OK, I was baking Christmas cookies and ate too many. Too many simple carbs and fat and I'm sure my workout suffered for it. I'll have to be more concientious today and see how it goes. Two days off after today then the last two workouts of the cycle. Time to start thinking about my next cycle.

Deadlifts (warm up) 2@45x10, 95x5, 135x2, 155x1, (work sets) 3@170x5!↑
Low Row 3@160x5!!
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x3, 85x2, (work sets) 2@100x5!
Nautilus Laterals (warm up) 2@50x10 (work sets) 2@85x5!
Tricep Extensions 2@160x5↑ Superset with:
EZBar Curl 2@90x5!!
Concentration Curl 2@25x5
Seated Tricep Press 2@100x5

Well that's more like it. Didn't feel nearly as flat as yesterday, but still flatter than during the Ten's. I cut back on some of the work sets. I think two sets are better for me. Diet was better but still enjoying the cookies. Now two days of little else but eating and back to the gym on Sunday.

Have a great holiday!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Back at it Sunday morning:

Squats (Warmup) 2@45x10, 95x5, 135x2, (Work sets) 3@155x5!
Leg Extension 3@255x5!
Calf Press 3@565x5!
Incline DB Press (Warmup) 20x15, 2@30x10
Bench (Warmup) 2@45x10, 95x3, 135x2, 165x1 (Work sets) 3@170x5!!
Butterflies 2@190x5
Abs

Pretty amazing workout, especially considering how much eating, drinking, and carrying-on I did over the last two days! Squats felt great so I went ahead and added some weight over last workout, which at the time I thought I should keep it the same. Was pushing the stack on the leg extension machine, a new feat of strength for me! Same with calf presses and bench press. New PB's on all of these, which is always my goal of the last workout of the cycle. I kind of stalled out on Pec Deck, but I think I still worked my chest pretty well. I can tell as I can still feel it in my pecs, and quads, as I write this some 18 hours later. One workout left in this cycle then I'll do a couple days of RM testing and start my next SD period.

Took measurements last evening and everything is up at least a quarter inch from the end of October, with the most growth in quads (1.5 inches) and neck (of all things, 1 inch). Arms are only creeping along at a quarter inch, to a whopping 15.25 inches. Very frustrating. I don't know whether I should at the very least change my exercises, increase volume, or drop direct arm work completely for a cycle. I think the latter is a scary idea, but have a feeling it might be the best choice.

Back, shoulders, and arms today.

Deadlifts (warm up) 2@45x10, 95x5, 145x2, 165x1, (work sets) 3@180x5!↑
Low Row 3@165x5!!
Barbell Press (warm up) 2@45x10, 65x3, 85x2, (work sets) 105x3, x3, x4
Tricep Extensions 3@170x5!
Dumbbell Curl 45x3, 2@40x5
Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extensions 25x10, 30x10 Superset with:
Concentration Curl 25x10, 30x10

OMG! Something about the last workout of a cycle where something kicks in and you work a little harder on each set knowing you'll have plenty of time to recover. It felt like I was totally focused during each movement and on the two back movements especially getting all muscles involved and fully contracted. I heard a great expression recently and thought about it during my sets, "Work the muscle, not the movement." This was especially effective during the little superset I tossed in at the end. I was able to keep triceps and biceps contracted during eccentric and concentric movement. I have to say I was looking comparatively freaky once the pump kicked in! Lot's of veins!

During posing practice later, I thought I could see more lower lat development and a more pronounced V shape, so I'm definitely keeping deadlifts for the next cycle. I don't think I hit my max at 180 so I'll keep doing them next week during my RM tests.

Now it is time to decide on what that next cycle will be. I need to put on as much lean bodyweight as I can during this next cycle as it may be the last one before I begin contest prep. I still need to put on about five more pounds of muscle to come in at the top of the middle-weight class. If I can do that in the next ten weeks, I'll enter the show in June.

Some things I'm considering for this cycle:

Focus on basic movements. Cut out things like direct arm work, single-joint shoulder exercises. Or, as arms are lacking IMO, do some sort of specialization on them such as putting them first in the lineup, or even giving them their own day.

Stick with the two-day split, or go back to the full-body three workouts per week routine, perhaps with an A-B-A, B-A-B arrangement. I've done five consecutive HST cycles now, and this was my first on the two-day split so I'm not really sure if I like it or not. I like the idea of only going to the gym three days instead of four, however, so I'm leaning in this direction.

Here is my first draft of the next cycle. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'll be starting RM tests on Thursday.

A Workout (Heavier on legs and chest)

Squats
Leg Curls
Nautilus Pullover
Incline Dumbbell Press
Barbell Shoulder Press
Overhead triceps extension (Dumbbell, barbell, or machine)
Some sort of curls

B Workout (Heavier on back)

Leg Extensions
Deadlifts
Pulldowns
Incline Flyes
Dumbbell Press
Overhead triceps extension (Dumbbell, barbell, or machine)
Some sort of curls

Sounds like you really got into the zone. I love that feeling, in some ways it’s almost like meditating you can get so focused. Nice work on the Dead Lifts.

I think if your body can handle it the three full-body workouts will give each body part more work in the shortest time.

I’m not sure how compounds work for you but I’m finding at low weights my arms don’t get much of a workout so I’m including arm work early on with the option of dropping it later as the weights get heavy if I feel it’s holding back my compound lifts.

So I started doing RM testing yesterday. Don't really have much of a plan except I'm only testing on exercises I haven't done recently, and I'm not going to test all three rep ranges for every exercise, so I'm testing 15RM on smaller muscle groups (shoulders and arms); 5RM on Back; and 10RM on quads, hams, and chest. I haven't yet picked all the exercises for the next cycle and have been playing around with equipment I haven't used in a while, or ever. It's been fun going in to the gym and randomly playing around on the equipment. I know I'm going to keep deadlifts and squats, but drop bench presses for a while. I've been doing those in each of the last five cycles, so I'm doing incline dumbbell presses instead. I'm also adding a couple different Hammer Strength machines to the repertoire as well.

Had a few surprises during the last couple days. The first was that I was able to blast out five reps of 200 lbs on deadlifts, 20 lbs more than two days ago. And this after doing a 10RM test on pulldowns! The second was when, still pumped from my workout, I put on a workshirt I hadn't worn in about a month and had trouble getting my arms in the sleeves! It looked like I had my little brother's shirt on. I was actually a little embarrased to go to work like that and wore a sweatshirt over it.

Finally, I don't think I could have timed my cycle any better. I'm in the heaviest portion of it during a time when, because of the holidays, food is abundant and I'm just eating whatever comes my way. Caviar, prime rib, and tiramisu for desert last night. I can tell I'm adding some fat, but my strength is up so I feel great about that. Next week I'll be starting SD just when the gym is packed with new members soon to break their New Year's Resolutions. Amateurs! Glad I'll be missing most of that.

Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe New Year!

"Had a few surprises during the last couple days. The first was that I was able to blast out five reps of 200 lbs on deadlifts, 20 lbs more than two days ago. "

Yeah, deadlifts will do that. You take it easy for a couple of days and your strength goes through the roof.

Nice deads.

Thanks TR! Apparently that's true with leg presses as well. I had dropped these in favor of squats for the last cycle, but when I tested my RM on them yesterday found that I could press significantly more weight than before. I had gone over my logs and figured my 10RM would be somewhere around 300lbs. Imagine my shock when I ended up doing 380 for over 15 reps! Twice!

Now I think I have my workout set for the next cycle. It goes something like this:

Workout A
Deadlift
Hammer Strength Pulldown
Leg Press
Hamflexor (Standing leg curl machine)
Hammer Strength Chest
DB Shoulder Press
DB Curls

Workout B
Squats
Hammer Strength Leg Extensions
Hammer Strength Pullover
Wide Grip Pulldown
Incline Dumbbell Press
Rear Delt
Overhead Tricep Extension

SD begins today. Ten days of forcing myself to stay out of the gym. Won't be easy!

Great job on the strength gains, very impressive. Good luck on your SD, I was shooting for 9 days but couldn’t take it any more after 7.

I can't stand it any more! Today is the tenth day of SD and I'm chomping at the bit! This not working out stuff is making me crazy. I'd planned on starting my next cycle tomorrow, but I really want to go work out today. Looking at my schedule I may not have time, unless I go after dinner tonight.

Checking myself on my cheesy bodycomp scale last night, I'm at the same weight and BF% as a month ago which was during the 10's. I'm happy about that because that is the phase of my HST program where I experience the most growth, so I haven't lost any muscle or gained any fat during SD.

Last edited:
For the next cycle, I'm implementing a few new ideas I've had and some that I've picked up from listening to Superhuman Radio.

I've decided that not all muscle groups are alike and will be using slightly different rep ranges for different bodyparts. I plan to use higher reps for shoulders and biceps than others, for example. I also plan to start with a week or two of reps in the 15-30 range (depending on bodypart), just to see how my body responds to this type of training. I am also planning on an extra week of sets in the 8-15 rep range since that is when I experience the most growth. Taking chest as an example, my microcycles will look like this:

Weeks One and Two: 20
Week Three: 12-15
Week Four: 10-12
Week Five: 8-10
Weeks Six and Seven: 5
Week Eight: Negatives and drop sets

I'm also going to include some pre-exhaust techniques for arms and traps since these are lagging, putting them earlier in the workout, ie shrugs before deadlifts.

For those unfamiliar, Superhuman Radio is a live daily podcast whose main topics are bodybuilding and life extension. The host, Carl Lanore, is very knowledgable and as quick-minded as any talk show host I've ever heard. Great interviewer. Check out the shows with NPC competitor PJ Braun who has extensive knowledge of kinesiology and without visuals can describe in detail the proper way to do exercises, especially if you are trying to work around injuries, or avoid them completely.

Superhuman Radio

Last edited:
Today is the tenth day of SD and I'm chomping at the bit! This not working out stuff is making me crazy.

Forgive my ignorance, but is SD short for strategic deconditioning, and is this phase basically resting? Im still new to HST and still getting to grips with all the terminology and lingo.

Thanks

Back