What is your career?

I went to work before finishing the 11th grade. I've been working ever since. I qualify, after 20 years of doing remodeling work as a supervisor for the big constructions firms, or consultant, or designer. I could make good money if I were to get on with one.
That would happen if I only had a degree. Instead, I struggle paycheck to paycheck, doing the actual work most of the time, and only managing our larger jobs when we have them.

If there's any way you can go to college, do it. You will thank yourself later.

You will probably be better off with college if it's a possiblity for you.  Simply because it gives you more options.

I had the choice to go or not go.  I left HS after grade 11 and went on to college, I earned a degree in electronics engineering and computer engineering, then went on to get a degree in theology.  Decided in the end to go back to community college and get a paramedic certificate.  

I actually would have made much more money had I not went to college and stayed on to take over my family's construction, heavy equipment, and trucking companies instead of them having to be sold when my father and grandfather decided to retire.  However, I'm much happier and satisfied with the work I do, which has left me as a low paid county employee and the poor relative of the rest of the family.  Happiness in what you do is important, that is more likely if you have more options.  If college is at all possible, even part time at a community college - you should do it.  I was the only one at my community college as old as I was who already had a PhD, and am probably the poorest guy with this much education in the world.  However, I'm  probably the happiest, most satisfied guy I know.

Vagrant...that is a unique situation.

But I respect that...well said.
biggrin.gif

Ahhh, back in '87 the electronics and computer degrees meant go to Japan for more school then come back to the US to be a drone, designing stuff that didn't work well (that was the state of things back then).  A doctor of divinity is pretty much useless in the work world unless you want to start a cult, write useless books, or have a Sunday morning TV show, and I'd had it with the hyprocracy of organized religion by that time and felt called to serve in a different way.

Next thing I know, I'm in community college becoming a paramedic.  17 years later, I'm still loving it and very satisfied with my life's choices.  

If I had chosen differently, I could have much more money but still - I had the choice because I went to school.  That's the important thing, have the ability to choose what you will do because more than one option is open to you.  

That's why I say, even if you end up working digging ditches - go to school, even if it's just night school, if it is at all possible.  Then you will have options available.

I worked as an agricultural equipment mechanic for 10 years on a kibbutz in Israel. I came back to the US and worked as a mechanic for a year, but after I was laid off (the work was seasonal), I decided to go back to school. I looked into nursing and medicine, and decided to try to get into med school. To apply, I first had to take all the basic science courses I didn't take in college- and did very well in them (unlike my previous college experience!). The important thing is that you can do anything you want, but you have to get the right education, even if you do it at a later time.
I guess I lost the connection with bodybuilding somewhere along the way here, except that I started that late in life also!
rock.gif

Paul

The good thing about Bodybuilding...is that bodybuilders=dedication.

And Dedication will get you far in life if applied properly.

I have found money is not everything and happiness is best!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have found money is not everything and happiness is best!
biggrin.gif
</div>

Yes, but money buys you a home gym!
laugh.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Dec. 06 2006,10:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have found money is not everything and happiness is best!
biggrin.gif
</div>

Yes, but money buys you a home gym!
laugh.gif
</div>
Damn straight. Mine took forever to put together because I had none.

<div>
(Scruff @ Dec. 04 2006,00:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">maybe your guys experience can enlighten me. Do you guys think I can get a good career without going to college?....</div>
Hello Scruff,
Well, I would say yes you can, BUT ( this is a big but too) college isn't just knowledge, its also about relationships with others that are like minded. Many that go to college retain some connection with people they have met that later turn into opportunities. For me, this is what happened. I was going to school for electronics where I met a person that was take some classes as a refresher to newer technologies (was the GM of a large company). They wanted to hire someone &amp; that I might be a good fit. I was a VERY good fit. Within a couple of year I was the manager of my dept making $$$!
So, there is more to college than what you learn. I FEEL so strongly about it, that when my 2 children were born, we did a 4 yr pre-paid college &amp; dorms program to be sure they would have this tremendous advantage.

So, YES I would fully advise you to get your education...it will pay off in the end many times over.

GOOD LUCK!

O

Computer Programmer. Contracting at investment banks for last couple of years. Pays for over-priced city gyms and over-priced supplements.

I am a .NET Developer for a Non Profit Org.

Seriously thinking about going back to school with a change of career to follow soon. This sitting at a desk is killing me...

<div>
(Omega_man @ Dec. 06 2006,04:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Scruff @ Dec. 04 2006,00:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">maybe your guys experience can enlighten me.  Do you guys think I can get a good career without going to college?....</div>
Hello Scruff,
Well, I would say yes you can, BUT ( this is a big but too) college isn't just knowledge, its also about relationships with others that are like minded. Many that go to college retain some connection with people they have met that later turn into opportunities. For me, this is what happened. I was going to school for electronics where I met a person that was take some classes as a refresher to newer technologies (was the GM of a large company). They wanted to hire someone &amp; that I might be a good fit. I was a VERY good fit. Within a couple of year I was the manager of my dept making $$$!
So, there is more to college than what you learn. I FEEL so strongly about it, that when my 2 children were born, we did a 4 yr pre-paid college &amp; dorms program to be sure they would have this tremendous advantage.

So, YES I would fully advise you to get your education...it will pay off in the end many times over.

GOOD LUCK!

O</div>
Well said Omega!

I am a plumber. I have been plumbing for 9 years and recently specializing in service and repair. Very soon I will be starting my own business... entrepreneurship is very exciting.

I work as cabin crew for a british airline, flight attendant as you say in the states. I have done so for 6 years after leaving my job as a transport manager for a removal company. The pay is decent and travel is excellent, getting to visit many countries I would of never had it not been for the job. (with lots of pretty party loving girls too
smile.gif
I get to stay in Orlando alot and train at golds for free
biggrin.gif
, but have travelled alot over rest of the states too. I aslo get to visit some not so nice places in the world too, but I like the variety.
Being overseas alot does interfere a bit with training though, being jet lagged and not always having a kitchen close by can be a pain.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 04 2007,16:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am a plumber.  I have been plumbing for 9 years and recently specializing in service and repair.  Very soon I will be starting my own business... entrepreneurship is very exciting.</div>
Sci,

I started my own business 8 months ago...best thing I ever did...go for it...if you are properly planning!

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Apr. 05 2007,09:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 04 2007,16:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am a plumber.  I have been plumbing for 9 years and recently specializing in service and repair.  Very soon I will be starting my own business... entrepreneurship is very exciting.</div>
Sci,

I started my own business 8 months ago...best thing I ever did...go for it...if you are properly planning!</div>
Yeah, my problem is setting everything up secretly so my current boss doesn't fire me when he finds outs out I'll soon be competition! I already have the plan rolling, just want to keep my current job as long as possible until I am ready to jump!
cool.gif

I am currently a Paramedic. I was formerly a Police officer for 11 years. I am looking to get myself qualified as a PT and maybe striking out in my own business at some time in the future.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 06 2007,20:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My wife &amp; I are both self employed court stenographers
smile.gif
</div>
Thats a first for us!
biggrin.gif

Cool deal

Back