Whey Protein Only

Tom Treutlein

I eat every 4 hours. I use 8 oz. of milk, 100g oats (2.25 servings), and a scoop of whey protein in every shake. Three of them have fats. Either 11 fish oil caps (taken on the side) or a tbsp of flax or safflower oil thrown in.

I figure the fiber from the oats and the fats in the other three shakes would allow the whey protein to digest slowly, but I don't know if it will be sufficient over a four hour fasting period.

The duration between meals is due to school and conveinence. I also tend to get hungry every four hours only, and it fits into my schedule perfectly.

So, since fiber and fats cause foods to digest slower, would this be possible for bulking? For hyptertrophy?

It's a pain to bring steak into school, and I'm trying to make my diet as simple as possible (no cooking, minor prep work).

Don't see any reason why you couldn't get some casein. Just get a protein mix that has it in there already.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Oct. 24 2004,8:42)]So, since fiber and fats cause foods to digest slower, would this be possible for bulking? For hyptertrophy?
It's a pain to bring steak into school, and I'm trying to make my diet as simple as possible (no cooking, minor prep work).
Yes, as long as your total calories are high enough to support weight gain, it should work just fine.

Bryan, should I possibly use Milk Protein Isolate before bed and during the day along with some whey at other times, just to make sure? Or it won't really matter?

Just less conveinent, and I'm satisfied with shakes. Blenders work wonders, so I try to use mine as much as possible. It allows me to bring my meals in a thermos to class and work so I can still follow a diet.

I just hope it works.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Oct. 28 2004,4:29)]jeez, so many powders! what's up with your aversion to real food?
haha yeah

and a chicken breast is THE easiest thing to cook.. and haven't you seen that canned flavoured tuna?

Here is a nice easy recipe I got off the internet:

3 cups brown rice, cooked
1 Granny Smith Apple, diced
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice with all other ingredients. Toss mixture lightly. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

I make a big batch on Sunday and it's 3-4 days lunches. (I taylor it a bit tho).

Since Bryan won't self-promote this way, allow me to suggest his Driver protein powder. Its specifically designed for slow absorption and, it turns out, is quite tasty mixed with milk. :)

I found it interesting, but it still didn't give me any clear cut answer. It seems that fiber still helps to slow digestion, even if fats don't.

I guess I can go 8 weeks using whey protein as my only protein source (with some slight casein coming from milk) and then see what happens.

I trust Bryan most of the time, and he claims that so long as there is an excess of calories, I'll be fine.

wow.

didn't you read the other post about how it's necessary to eat real food?

I don't understand how anyone would choose to eat nothing but shakes thats kinda sad. They are supposed to supplement your diet, not BE your diet.

What post said it's necessary to eat real food?

Oats are my source of carbs. That's real food. They're just blended.

Whey protein comes from milk. Milk is food.

The oils are healthy. They provide fats. Nothing wrong with them.

Just because something is blended into a shake doesn't mean it's not food.

Are you talking about phytonutrients? I can throw in 2-3 pieces of fruits and servings of veggies a day to get those. No where does it speak of protein consumption from powder being worse than from steak, chicken, or tuna. Those special nutrients are found in grains, fruits and veggies. So, there still hasn't been a real reason that whole foods are better. More expensive, less conveinent.

Tom, not disagreeing with your Shake Idea, but here is one thing no one has brought up. What about mandible and tooth health? Many of the harder substances we chew help remove built up plaque on our teeth, not to mention that chewing promotes healthy mandible development and maintenance.

I drink a shake in the morning to get a quick start on replenishing my energy quicker, then again pre and post workout. But I do love to eat and I know I personally couldn't live on shakes. But, if you can more power to you.
thumbs-up.gif

BoSox, if that works for you, then fine. I'd just prefer to drink them down quicker. It's more conveinent. I plan to have tuna with some mayo (a bit of sat. fat is good for test levels anyway) before bed, since that will help to keep me anti-catabolic.

Dkm, I hear ya' on that, but I figure eating something rather solid at night will be fine. I also plan to add in 2-3 fruits a day and some veggies in order to obtain phytonutrients.

I don't think the mandible health thing will become an issue anyway. I've never heard of that being a huge problem. I may throw in a bit of steak every day (3 oz. or so) and some rice or bread, just to ensure that problem is taken care of. You know, cover my rear in all aspects possible.

If my financial situation improves (unlikely for some time) and I get more free time, then I'll most definitely add in some more solid foods, slowly but surely. Whey has a plethora of health benefits anyway, and is the most biologically available protein out there. I love this stuff.

By the by, remove plaque? That's what brushing is for. If you brush 3x a day (upon awakening [assuming eight hours of rest] halfway through the day [about eight hours] and again before bed [on your 15-16th hour of being awake]) you'll be set anyway. Plaque will start to reform in 6-8 hours, so brushing 3x a day would be optimal, and not out of the question. I think one has more to worry about if they don't brush. Plaque won't rot your teeth if you brush, even if you're eating no solids.

Back