Why a beginners forum

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by Bryan Haycock, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

Over the last several months, I have gotten a lot of mail from people just starting a lifting program for the very first time. When asked how they liked the forum they would respond, "A lot of it is just over my head."

If people don't understand something, it isn't of any value to them. So here is a forum where there are no stupid questions. There is no question too basic, too simple, or too common.

Please feel free to ask about anything you don't understand, no matter how basic it may seem. Don't be shy, just ask and you'll get a simple answer, in easy to understand language. Before you know it, you'll be answering questions as often as you ask them!

Enjoy,

-bryan

2. Calkid

Calkid New Member

Don't forget to mention the FAQ Section! There's a lot of technical jargon in there, but there's also a lot of stuff geared towards beginners, such as "Sets/Reps," "How do I set up the HST cycle?" and other such gems of wisdom.

-Calkid

3. Fausto

Fausto HST Expert

Bryan, Blade

I must take "my hat off" for youguys, this is an excellent idea :D

This way the begginner's do not have to search for what they are looking for or read stuff that is just too technical.

And...we are all ready to help...whatever the question may be.

Fausto

4. Dood

Dood New Member

Suggestions:
    1. Put a sticky link to the FAQ's as the first topic.

2. Maybe move the link to the Beginners forum to the top of the Forum page, just under FYI. People tend to post in the first forum they see, especially enthusiastic beginners.

5. Blade

Blade Super Moderator Staff Member

I can't take credit for this idea, unfortunately. [​IMG]

But it is an excellent idea, I can certainly see how the discussion in the other forums (and the FAQ) can get too technical at times.

6. Singleton

Singleton New Member

Is this for HST beginners or training beginners?

7. Aaron_F

Aaron_F New Member

Both really, but predominantly for "people just starting a lifting program for the very first time"

from what Bryan origonally said when he first got this particular forum up.

8. schurt

schurt New Member

ok here goes :)

i want to do bench press but i am to afraid to do it alone even with lighter weights it can get considerably hard to get that bar back up on the rack after the 9th or 10th time .. aside from asking someone to break their workout to spot you how would i go about doing flat bench press on say a power rack?

9. Bryan Haycock

Look in the "Basic Training" forum for an answer. I'll quote you there. Here's the link.
    Benching without spotter

10. totalnatal

totalnatal New Member

Is HST a nice routine for a beginner in weight training ?Some ppl told me that to do HST I need a good strength base.

11. Gladiator

Gladiator New Member

edit: b/c this is in a sticky i don't think it will be answered, so i created a new thread.

delete this post if you wish

12. Tcup

Tcup New Member

Starting your weight training with HST maybe isn`t very good idea. First of all the intensity of training can cause too much fatigue. It would be always wise to start easy. If you get too tired right from the beginning it will affect ones motivation. Start with long reps and gradually adapt to shorter reps. In my opinion 2 weeks are way too soon. Also start your training with finding your maxes? Hell no!

Second reason is that you should never start your training with techniques like deadlift. If you don`t get guidance you can really hurt yourself...

13. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand why HST would be too intense for a beginner. It's based on your own RMs after all. As long as you don't use too high of a volume at first, you should be fine.

14. Bryan Haycock

You are absolutely correct there. HST has nothing to do with whether you are a beginner or not. Its about lifting in a certain way as too emphasize the impact your training has on muscle growth.

If you are a beginner the only thing that would be different is the volume (number of sets per workout) and how much weight you would be using.

15. oswa

oswa New Member

Hello everybody,

I'm new to HST and would like to try it, however, my weakness is my strength.

If I could only do 5RM on a 10lb DB doing side lateral raise, how would I manage
    to increase the weight during 5s since the next available DB is 20lbs and I could
    not even do a single repetition on 20lbs DB. Is it okay if the weight is keep constant during 5s? (straight 10lb DB) Or, if the weight is not
    incrementing, (i.e. DIPS using bodyweight), could I just drop it on my
    training list?

Looking forward for your valuable advise.
    Regards

16. style

style New Member

You could change to an other shoulder exercise that lets you lift more weight e.g overhead shoulder press or you could just stick with the 10lb dumbell, knocking out 20 reps as fast as you can without feeling any significant burn or approaching failure. You may have to pause after each rep to start with but gradually your strength will improve until you can progress onto the 20lb dumbell.

Good luck

17. Keystone

Keystone New Member

What style said, substitute the lateral raises for some type of military press. [​IMG]

Keystone

18. sniffanylickets

sniffanylickets New Member

i don't get it