Cutting with HST

I don't believe there is a factual basis for that. 500 grams of potatoes digests drastically faster than 500 grams of really any meat.

Actually Jester. For me the 500g of potatoes would leave me fuller for longer. Thanks for the info gblifter.

I'm going for a slightly higher carb and lower fat approach this time to see if I can maintain strength.

On my last cut I was at 150g carbs and 80g fat. This time i'm going for 200g carbs and 50 - 60g fats.

500gms of protein via steak at ~ 25gms of protein per 100ghavems of steak means you're eating around 2kg of meat to get that 500gms ... protein sources come with better satiety; for two reasons;

1. Protein takes longer to digest than carbohydrates
2. The source itself generally takes longer to digest than the carbohydrate source

Damn, this potato talk is making me hungry ...

I don't know much about how the food selection affects a diet but I figured here are the stats:

White Potatoes 20cals, 0.0g Fat, 4g Carbs, .5g Protein
Steak 55cals, 3.3g Fat, 0g Carbs, 6g Protein

It seems you will get a lot more volume eating potatoes. That being said, I haven't been able to find an always-full-caloric-deficit-diet and found more value in just learning to be hungry.

Question for @adpowah - what's your ketone/low carb diet looking like atm? Ignore that if I'm confusing your diet remarks with someone else's, but pretty sure it's you?

500gms of protein via steak at ~ 25gms of protein per 100ghavems of steak means you're eating around 2kg of meat to get that 500gms ... protein sources come with better satiety; for two reasons;

1. Protein takes longer to digest than carbohydrates
2. The source itself generally takes longer to digest than the carbohydrate source

Damn, this potato talk is making me hungry ...

I don't know much about how the food selection affects a diet but I figured here are the stats:

White Potatoes 20cals, 0.0g Fat, 4g Carbs, .5g Protein
Steak 55cals, 3.3g Fat, 0g Carbs, 6g Protein

It seems you will get a lot more volume eating potatoes. That being said, I haven't been able to find an always-full-caloric-deficit-diet and found more value in just learning to be hungry.

Steak may not be the best example as caloric wise you could eat 3-4 times the weight in potato than you could steak (spuds are approx 70 calories per 100g whereas steak is approx 200 - 280 calories per 100g depending on the cut) - chicken is only around 110 -120 calories per 100g (depend on where you get info from). I believe 200g of chicken (approx 46g of protein = 220 - 240kcal) will have better satiety than between 314 and 342g of potato (approx 50 - 55g of carbs = 220 - 240kcal)!

Last edited:
Wtf... I opened my tapatalk app and in brought me to the wrong post...
I was referencing the comment about 28% daily protein intake.

@Jester @Totentnanz. Fair enough.

Mick. It's usually around 1200 cals first meal and 800 cals second meal. I am taking another 100 cals on weight training days. Usually just a round of wholemeal toast before I train.

Question for @adpowah - what's your ketone/low carb diet looking like atm? Ignore that if I'm confusing your diet remarks with someone else's, but pretty sure it's you?
Thanks for asking. I am still trying to read Lyle's book on it, I am probably lacking motivation since I have been able to lose weight without doing the ketosis route. Right now I am just eating a calorically restricted diet. I am not counting calories, I am just eating to minimum satisfaction 3 times a day and avoiding unnecessary calories like beer and snacks. Some days it doesn't work out for a meal or two (vacation, friends, etc) but then I just get back to it. So far it has been pretty effective. My goal weight is 180 (8lbs to go), if this method stops being effective I will consider Ketosis or one of Lyle's other diets to acheive this.

I've lost about 6 - 7lb so far. The problem is I haven't gained any muscle over these 3 cycles of HST. How can I make HST effective and build thick full muscles? I want to find something that works after training for so long.

I'm also losing strength now. I only managed 8 reps on Bench press on my first session of 10's which was 87.5 kg. My 10 rep max a few weeks ago was 100kg.

I've lost about 6 - 7lb so far. The problem is I haven't gained any muscle over these 3 cycles of HST. How can I make HST effective and build thick full muscles? I want to find something that works after training for so long.

I'm also losing strength now. I only managed 8 reps on Bench press on my first session of 10's which was 87.5 kg. My 10 rep max a few weeks ago was 100kg.

The cut is not for building muscle. If you are losing strenght that is a bad sign. But don't worry.

Do a bulk cycle, try to regain your strength or increase it. Then figure out what to do after that.

I also suggest measuring your BF% so you can see how you are progressing. Remember that both cutting and bulking are for progress, but in different ways.

Congrats on the weight loss, have you got used to the calipers yet to see what is fat etc.

To be honest with you if you could bench 100kgs for 10 reps (projected 1rm of 133) then you must have gained muscle as not many low muscled people can do that, I feel you should up your protein intake to at least 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and decrease carbs by corresponding amount,

Charr, you haven't posted your body fat levels. Are you doing measurements?

I agree with mickc regarding your bench. I'm getting a nice body and I still can't lift 100 even for five reps. You gotta have some muscle to do that.

It seems that you are resistant to talk about fat levels. What's the problem?

Which is more important? Building muscle, or cutting fat?

You aren't accomplishing both at the same time. If you want to get shredded, ask Rihad for help. If you actually want to get bigger muscles and accept that cutting the fat that comes with that (minimal ideally, but still there) will follow later, then ask for that.

But pick one to do right now.

Leonardo. I have some calipers but I find it difficult to use them. From them I estimate by body fat percentage to be 18 - 22% @ 200lb

Jester. I am focusing on one at a time. I went through a bulk and used 3 cycles of HST over 4 months. I gained alot of fat. I've now gone on a cut. But I can see that I haven't gained any muscle during the 3 cycles of HST. I want to build muscle how can I make it more effective?

Back