Deadlift/Squat Mid - Lower Back Pain

TheSeeker07

I'm currently having mid - lower back pain during deadlifts, I don't know if this is due to form issue or something else. I had this issue during the squat thus I stopped doing it. It seems to be on the left side of my spine somewhat, it's like a sharp pain kinda. Please help, if you need a video of my form and what not I'll provide one....

I'm trying to follow Mark Rippetoes videos/training on form but it seems to have only hurt me, not help haha.

Hi TheSeeker07
If you are able to provide a side-view video of your deadlift, that would be great.. In the mean time, you should leave the deadlift alone. Except for the vid of course but use low weight. If form turns out the issue, I think you should consider letting us have a look at your Squat technique also.

Since you describe it as kind of like a sharp pain I would see a sports medicine doctor if you can or perhaps a good chiropractor. If it’s already stopping you from doing Squats and may be stopping you from Doing Deadlifts soon I wouldn’t screw around. Make sure to rule out any problems that you may be causing further damage. Note that I’m not saying to push the panic button but you are way to young to be messing around with causing lifelong back problems.

Without knowing the cause of your pain I am hesitant to recommend any remedies.

Your technique looks fine to me.
Asuming you required this injury durring Squats.. Are you sure you left enough time, to let it heal sufficiently, before hitting the deads?
Might just be aggrevated (and not caused) by deadlifting.

Also, do you feel this to be muscle pain?
If the pain stems from a sore muscle, i'd just go with time off. If not, i'd definitely consider Grunts advice.

In any case, you should lay of any exercises, that aggrevates the pain.

Your technique looks fine to me.
Asuming you required this injury durring Squats.. Are you sure you left enough time, to let it heal sufficiently, before hitting the deads?
Might just be aggrevated (and not caused) by deadlifting.

Also, do you feel this to be muscle pain?
If the pain stems from a sore muscle, i'd just go with time off. If not, i'd definitely consider Grunts advice.

In any case, you should lay of any exercises, that aggrevates the pain.
I'm going to go to a chiropractor soon. If anythings wrong he should be able to tell me. It might have came from the squats because that's where it originally started form then i decided to stop doing it entirely.

The pain starts once I lift my chest/back during the deadlift and based on Mark Rippetoe's remarks you are mainly supposed to use your back to lift the weight off the ground not your legs. Correct? I have the AM Squat then PM Deadlift. I struggled figuring out how to properly do the squat based on the information from Starting Strength and his youtube videos. Maybe I should have another video to show you my squat form? It has also hurt when I try to curl my back for the bench. Could that be the problem as well?

If your back hurts when you bench you need to see a qualified doctor. Your problem might not be serious but before you really screw something up find out what is really happening.

I agree with Grunt. If just arching your back aggrevates the pain, you should lay of lifting and see your doctor.
When all is well, we can have a look at your Squat first thing, to keep this from happening again.

Could my lower back pain be the result of excessive arching in some exercises or can it be a result of not taking a deep breath, holding it in thus putting pressure on the spine?

Not sure about excessive arching. I think your spine would be able to handle it, anyway. But if some muscles are overstretched in specifict excersizes, I don't know.. The latter might very well be an/the issue though. Weak core musculature would of course, add to that problem.

Not sure about excessive arching. I think your spine would be able to handle it, anyway. But if some muscles are overstretched in specifict excersizes, I don't know.. The latter might very well be an/the issue though. Weak core musculature would of course, add to that problem.
I figured the spine could handle it as well. I was thinking that maybe I'm not taking a deep breath in before I lift which you're supposed to do otherwise as Mark Rippetoe says it will affect your lower back. I'm still going to see a chiropractor but when I start working out I'll definitely keep a watch on breathing in deep and holding it.

I would go see a sports doctor instead of a chiropractor. I know there are some decent chiros out there but the basis of chiropractic is quack science and it is basically a crap shoot whether you get one who has some knowledge or will just charge you to keep coming back for twenty years. A good sports doctor will be more familiar with weightlifting, athletics, etc and how the body may be effected.

Sounds good.
Just remember, that holding your breath alone, wont create much abdominal cavity pressure.
If you want to get a feel for it, you could try wearing a weightlifting belt. Then hold your breath, while pressing against the belt.
Once you know how it works and feels, you can loose the belt.

I would go see a sports doctor instead of a chiropractor. I know there are some decent chiros out there but the basis of chiropractic is quack science and it is basically a crap shoot whether you get one who has some knowledge or will just charge you to keep coming back for twenty years. A good sports doctor will be more familiar with weightlifting, athletics, etc and how the body may be effected.
Problem would be money to see a sports doctor, I'm assuming they are expensive. The back pain doesn't render me incapable of doing the exercise, I'm just a pre-cautionary type person. I've been trying to figure out why it hurts and specifically why it hurts only on the right side... I'm gonna first test out the breathing before I schedule anything and if that aids or cures the problem then it's obviously easy answer. If not then chiropractor and if he doesn't heal it then I know what I'll have to do.
Sounds good.
Just remember, that holding your breath alone, wont create much abdominal cavity pressure.
If you want to get a feel for it, you could try wearing a weightlifting belt. Then hold your breath, while pressing against the belt.
Once you know how it works and feels, you can loose the belt.
So, do I have to use my abdomonal muscles to balance the weight and create pressure from going to my lower back?

EDIT: I would describe the pain as tight and achy than a sharp. I just tried to do the breathe in method and it didn't really affect it.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you’ve look at this yet but it might help.
http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-lower-back-pain-injury-technique/

As he says start the lift by pushing through you heels not lifting with your back.

Sorry I didn’t comment on it when you posted your video but here is something I thought. It seemed to me that you were arching your back (up) to much like you were trying to over compensate so that you wouldn’t round your back. You should strive to keep your back straight throughout the lift, even when you lock out at the top.

In the video it looked like you were lifting 135 lbs. Does your back hurt at that weight or only when it gets heavier. I ask because at heavier weights your form could really be breaking down in a way that doesn’t show at lower weights.

When do you feel the pain, is it throughout the lift or only during a certain portion of it?

I would advocate that you try lifting sumo style since it lessens the strain on the lower back while increasing leg involvement. However, even if you do lift primarily sumo style you would be wise to still include conventional deadlifts since they will help strengthen your lower back and are actually probably better for overall hypertrophy. But consider that conventional deadlifts done properly shouldn’t cause lower/middle back pain so switching styles could just mask an underlying problem.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you’ve look at this yet but it might help.
http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-lower-back-pain-injury-technique/

As he says start the lift by pushing through you heels not lifting with your back.

Sorry I didn’t comment on it when you posted your video but here is something I thought. It seemed to me that you were arching your back (up) to much like you were trying to over compensate so that you wouldn’t round your back. You should strive to keep your back straight throughout the lift, even when you lock out at the top.

In the video it looked like you were lifting 135 lbs. Does your back hurt at that weight or only when it gets heavier. I ask because at heavier weights your form could really be breaking down in a way that doesn’t show at lower weights.

When do you feel the pain, is it throughout the lift or only during a certain portion of it?

I would advocate that you try lifting sumo style since it lessens the strain on the lower back while increasing leg involvement. However, even if you do lift primarily sumo style you would be wise to still include conventional deadlifts since they will help strengthen your lower back and are actually probably better for overall hypertrophy. But consider that conventional deadlifts done properly shouldn’t cause lower/middle back pain so switching styles could just mask an underlying problem.
Okay, see I was under the impression you lift with your back not your legs. Yes, I'm trying to ensure my back isn't rounded since I've heard that's a major issue in deadlifting.

It was actually 125 because the bar I own is only 35lbs for whatever reason. It hurts when I start lifting it with my back, it feels as if pressure if being loaded on that area and that it's not natural. (I used to lift by pushing the weight with my legs first and I had none of these problems....) It hurt at that weight as well, the dull/achy pain.

I was reading the deadlift topic on clutch fitness's form and it really helped me grasp the type of abdomin flex/breathing that you're supposed to perform. I wasn't doing anything like that prior to the lift.

Back