Does Anyone Let The Weights Dictate The Reps?

Clayton

or, "Myo making me crazy!"

I know I'm trying to over complicate it, but I'm hooked on the myo-reps concept, and would prefer to keep my workouts under 30 minutes. I've always done HST by doing 2x15, 2x10, 2x5. I wonder if I left something on the table by not doing more volume on the 5s. So, I'm wanting to somewhat pattern it on 2x15, 3x10, 4x5, but without the added time.

Initially shoot for 30 reps each lift, but let it taper down naturally as it takes more myo-reps. At some point around 15 reps, add one normal set, then by the 5s, it's two sets of activation/myo. Exercises are grouped by two for quicker rest breaks (shoulder press/deadlift, bench/rows, etc).

Starting with 30 reps with an estimate weight of what I think I should be able to easily do. Then increase deadlifts/squats by 20 lbs and bench/rows by 10 lbs each workout.

If the weight is the same as the previous workout (some lifts will progress faster/slower), add at least a few more effective reps. That way I'm not doing sets of 5 on some lifts, but 10 on others.

So, the progression (obviously not completely linear) would hypothetically look something like:
  1. 1x30
  2. 1x30 (tougher)
  3. 1x30 (guessing it's close to RM)
  4. 1x20 + myo (5)
  5. 1x20 + myo (4, 4)
  6. 1x20 + myo (3, 3, 3)
  7. 1x18 + myo (5, 4, 3)
  8. 1x18, + myo (4, 4, 3) (does this equal 2x15?)
  9. 1x15 + myo (etc)
  10. 1x15 + myo
  11. 1x15 + myo
  12. 1x12, 1x12+ myo (does this equal 3 sets?)
  13. 1x12, 1x10+ myo
  14. 1x10, 1x10+ myo
  15. 1x8, 1x5+ myo
  16. 1x8, 1x5 + myo
  17. 1x5+myo, 1x5 + myo (does this equal 4x5?)
  18. 1x5+myo, 1x5 + myo
  19. 1x5+myo, 1x5 + myo

Worth trying for the sake of an experiment?

Yes, you are over thinking it. Yes, (almost) anything is worth trying for the sake of an experiment. :)

On a side note, if the question of volume is bothering you, just stick with the same weekly volume from beginning to end and stop worrying about it... If after doing an entire cycle you decide that it is too little or too much, make the adjustment and do it again. Over time you'll find your sweet spot.

Thank you Bryan!

Ah, after thinking about it some more, the progression has a good chance of being off. I always have a mental block ("more is better" or "do as much today" when it should be "a little more than the previous workout") on wanting to go close to failure every time.

So, with letting the weights "dictate," the reps could actually be decreasing each workout to pattern the weights/workload, and not actually progressing/increasing the workload workout to workout. So, the rep phases (with weight increases) are better.

Dang it, simple wins out.

Hi Clayton. Not only simplicity, but consistency is probably the greatest factor in people's success. It is unrealistic to think that every workout is going to go perfectly. But imperfect workouts done consistently, will always give better gains than supposedly perfect workouts done inconsistently.

If you want more 'volume' and keep things fast, and use myo rest pause why not...
2x15
2x15
2x10 with one myo after the last set
2x10 with two myo after the last set
2x5 with two myo after the last set
2x5 with 3 myo after the last set
end
SD

I'm a big fan of auto-regulation. Basically, if you are having a crap day and you just aren't feeling it, do a little less volume. If you are having a day where you feel great, then do a little more. There is a fine line there. You have to know your body well to properly judge when you need to take it easy and when you can go harder. You also need to know your psychology and whether you are the type to slack if you have excuse to slack, or push too hard all the time. If you can't make those decisions for yourself (and be honest about it with yourself) then either find someone else who can do it for you (coach, etc) or stick to keeping volume consistent.

What Bryan said is important. Consistency is one of the most important things in this game. So whatever you decide to do, stick with it for the cycle (or a few even) and then adjust for the next cycle when you need to. Too many people get into the habit of changing things mid-cycle which makes it very hard to tell what worked and what didn't. Think of it like troubleshooting theory - only change one thing at a time, so you can evaluate whether that made a difference or not. In my experience, it takes at minimum at least one full cycle to know if something is working for you.

I'm a big fan of auto-regulation. Basically, if you are having a crap day and you just aren't feeling it, do a little less volume. If you are having a day where you feel great, then do a little more. There is a fine line there. You have to know your body well to properly judge when you need to take it easy and when you can go harder. You also need to know your psychology and whether you are the type to slack if you have excuse to slack, or push too hard all the time. If you can't make those decisions for yourself (and be honest about it with yourself) then either find someone else who can do it for you (coach, etc) or stick to keeping volume consistent.

What Bryan said is important. Consistency is one of the most important things in this game. So whatever you decide to do, stick with it for the cycle (or a few even) and then adjust for the next cycle when you need to. Too many people get into the habit of changing things mid-cycle which makes it very hard to tell what worked and what didn't. Think of it like troubleshooting theory - only change one thing at a time, so you can evaluate whether that made a difference or not. In my experience, it takes at minimum at least one full cycle to know if something is working for you.

Yep well said :)

Back