Dumbbell Complex with workout routine? Thanks for any help and insight.

Discussion in 'General Training' started by sam617, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sam617

sam617 New Member

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading and taking your time to answer and give advice.

I honestly do not have time during Mondays - Thursdays to workout. Got work in the AM then school at night. If I had time to exercise, trust me I would do it.

So to my idea; Do my workouts on Friday/Sat/Sun (3 consecutive days) and then on Tues/Thurs I will do dumbbell complex routines for cardio and to help keep my body in that workout mode throughout the week so I do not lose any muscles gained.

The Dumbbell Complex routines consists of (which I will do on Tues & Thurs)

DUMBBELL COMPLEX 1
    Exercise 1: Close-Hands Pushup
    Exercise 2: Dumbbell Skiier Swing
    Exercise 3: Overhead Split Squat

DUMBBELL COMPLEX 2
    Exercise 1: Twisting Curls
    Exercise 2: Overhead Triceps Extension
    Exercise 3: Single-Arm Deadlift

The idea is to do Dumbbell Complex 1(DC1) in a circuit fashion. Meaning, 30secs each exercise without breaks in-between. After I finish all 3, I take a 90sec break then do Dumbbell Complex 2 (DC2) in the same way. That would two sets done. (Finishing DC1 would be the first set).

I would do this for about 5-6 sets.

On Fri/Sat/Sun I will do this workout routine
    Day 1 – Push
    1. abs workout
    2. dumbbell press 3sets, 10-12 reps
    3. dumbbell flys 3sets, 10-12 reps
    4. alternating dumbell press 3sets, 10-12 reps
    5. side raise 3sets, 10-12 reps
    6. dumbbell french press 3sets, 10-12 reps

Day 2 – Pull
    1. overhand pullups 3sets, 10-12 reps
    2. barbell row 3sets, 10-12 reps
    3. underhand pullups 3sets, 10-12 reps
    4. dumbbell curls 3sets, 10-12 reps
    5. hammer curls 3sets, 10-12 reps

Day 3 – Legs
    1. abs
    2. lunges 3sets, 10-12 reps
    3. SDL 3sets, 10-12 reps
    4. calf raises 3sets, 10-12 reps
    5. goblet chair squats 3sets, 10-12 reps

Thank you for any and all advice. If this is a stupid idea, I would love to hear of other alternatives to my situation. Also, I am currently working out at home with dumbbells and a pull-up bar.

2. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

Why are you doing 10-12 reps for everything. In HST, you want to steadily increase the load. So you can do that for a couple of weeks, and then increase the loads and do sets of 6-8, and then do that for a couple of weeks, and then do sets of 4-6 reps. Then do negatives, and the SD.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

3. sam617

sam617 New Member

Thanks Sci for responding. The reason why I am doing 10-12 per reps for everything is because I am not following the HST principles. I posted this on the General part of the forum because of that and I do understand this is an HST forum but I thought I would get some insight from you and other knowledgeable people here regarding my time schedule and situation.

Again, thanks. I do know what HST is designed to do and how to go about it. I have done it for 2 years before but due to my work/school schedule, I only have Fri-Sun to workout as stated in the original post above :)

4. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

Well, honestly, I think that program is pretty crappy. But since all you have is dumbells, and a very limited schedule, I suppose it is better than nothing.

5. sam617

sam617 New Member

Haha yea, I agree but I am at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions besides doing HST Fri/Sun every week?

6. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

That is my suggestion, just do a twice/week HST program. Or if you don't like HST, then do a strength program, and work more with your 8rm-5rm loads. Doing that twice/week will work fine.

7. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Look for tangodown's early posts. He did a fairly successful cycle with only 1 single dumbbell.

8. sam617

sam617 New Member

Thanks Totentanz and Sci, I will look for Tangodown's early posts. Is there a specific title I should be looking for? THanks again. Or I should ask how early? Sorry for the bother.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013