Dumbbell Complex with workout routine? Thanks for any help and insight.

sam617

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading and taking your time to answer and give advice.

I honestly do not have time during Mondays - Thursdays to workout. Got work in the AM then school at night. If I had time to exercise, trust me I would do it.

So to my idea; Do my workouts on Friday/Sat/Sun (3 consecutive days) and then on Tues/Thurs I will do dumbbell complex routines for cardio and to help keep my body in that workout mode throughout the week so I do not lose any muscles gained.

The Dumbbell Complex routines consists of (which I will do on Tues & Thurs)

DUMBBELL COMPLEX 1
Exercise 1: Close-Hands Pushup
Exercise 2: Dumbbell Skiier Swing
Exercise 3: Overhead Split Squat

DUMBBELL COMPLEX 2
Exercise 1: Twisting Curls
Exercise 2: Overhead Triceps Extension
Exercise 3: Single-Arm Deadlift

The idea is to do Dumbbell Complex 1(DC1) in a circuit fashion. Meaning, 30secs each exercise without breaks in-between. After I finish all 3, I take a 90sec break then do Dumbbell Complex 2 (DC2) in the same way. That would two sets done. (Finishing DC1 would be the first set).

I would do this for about 5-6 sets.

On Fri/Sat/Sun I will do this workout routine
Day 1 – Push
1. abs workout
2. dumbbell press 3sets, 10-12 reps
3. dumbbell flys 3sets, 10-12 reps
4. alternating dumbell press 3sets, 10-12 reps
5. side raise 3sets, 10-12 reps
6. dumbbell french press 3sets, 10-12 reps

Day 2 – Pull
1. overhand pullups 3sets, 10-12 reps
2. barbell row 3sets, 10-12 reps
3. underhand pullups 3sets, 10-12 reps
4. dumbbell curls 3sets, 10-12 reps
5. hammer curls 3sets, 10-12 reps

Day 3 – Legs
1. abs
2. lunges 3sets, 10-12 reps
3. SDL 3sets, 10-12 reps
4. calf raises 3sets, 10-12 reps
5. goblet chair squats 3sets, 10-12 reps

Thank you for any and all advice. If this is a stupid idea, I would love to hear of other alternatives to my situation. Also, I am currently working out at home with dumbbells and a pull-up bar.

Why are you doing 10-12 reps for everything. In HST, you want to steadily increase the load. So you can do that for a couple of weeks, and then increase the loads and do sets of 6-8, and then do that for a couple of weeks, and then do sets of 4-6 reps. Then do negatives, and the SD.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Thanks Sci for responding. The reason why I am doing 10-12 per reps for everything is because I am not following the HST principles. I posted this on the General part of the forum because of that and I do understand this is an HST forum but I thought I would get some insight from you and other knowledgeable people here regarding my time schedule and situation.

Again, thanks. I do know what HST is designed to do and how to go about it. I have done it for 2 years before but due to my work/school schedule, I only have Fri-Sun to workout as stated in the original post above :)

Well, honestly, I think that program is pretty crappy. But since all you have is dumbells, and a very limited schedule, I suppose it is better than nothing.

Well, honestly, I think that program is pretty crappy. But since all you have is dumbells, and a very limited schedule, I suppose it is better than nothing.

Haha yea, I agree but I am at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions besides doing HST Fri/Sun every week?

Haha yea, I agree but I am at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions besides doing HST Fri/Sun every week?

That is my suggestion, just do a twice/week HST program. Or if you don't like HST, then do a strength program, and work more with your 8rm-5rm loads. Doing that twice/week will work fine.

Look for tangodown's early posts. He did a fairly successful cycle with only 1 single dumbbell.

Thanks Totentanz and Sci, I will look for Tangodown's early posts. Is there a specific title I should be looking for? THanks again. Or I should ask how early? Sorry for the bother.

Last edited:
Back