Healing the Heart

quadancer

I just had another VA checkup this week, and wanted to discuss the replacement of my pacemaker, since the batteries only last about ten years...and I'm on year eight.
The doc checked my last echocardiogram results and was wondering if they were right - where I had been pumping at 25% (55% is full function) I am now pumping at 55%...and I had been running the atrial part of the heartbeats from the pacer, and now it's just sitting mostly dormant. I'd had an ablation procedure to stop the arrythmias, but he said that wouldn't return the heart to full strength, and what was I doing otherwise...
Bodybuilding and Prayer!
So not only are they not going to replace the pacer, they might take me off the rest of my meds! Iron is good for the heart!

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 28 2007,04:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just had another VA checkup this week, and wanted to discuss the replacement of my pacemaker, since the batteries only last about ten years...and I'm on year eight.
The doc checked my last echocardiogram results and was wondering if they were right - where I had been pumping at 25% (55% is full function) I am now pumping at 55%...and I had been running the atrial part of the heartbeats from the pacer, and now it's just sitting mostly dormant. I'd had an ablation procedure to stop the arrythmias, but he said that wouldn't return the heart to full strength, and what was I doing otherwise...
Bodybuilding and Prayer!
So not only are they not going to replace the pacer, they might take me off the rest of my meds! Iron is good for the heart!</div>
Congratulations man, that is really good news

Right on, brother!
smile.gif

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Jan. 28 2007,05:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That is absolutely great news Quad!

Any possibility of just having it taken out?</div>
I could have it taken out, but it doesn't bother anything (just a lump on my chest) and I'd lose about 2 months training, so NO WAY BABY!

Keep it on man! NO use going overboar with things like this!
biggrin.gif

Great news to hear
cool.gif

Keep Pumping dude!

Isn´t the body wonderful.......when you treat it right!

Hats off Quad!

I'm really pleased for you Quad. Great result.

My pop has atrial fibrillation and is on all sorts of drugs to control his heart rate. I've almost accepted that one not-so-fine day it'll come a visiting me. Well, just maybe, if I keep lifting the iron, I won't have to go through what he's gone through.

Sweeeeeet!!

Sounds like you really are getting a &quot;full body&quot; workout.
biggrin.gif
 After all, the heart is a muscle, too.

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 29 2007,16:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm really pleased for you Quad. Great result.

My pop has atrial fibrillation and is on all sorts of drugs to control his heart rate. I've almost accepted that one not-so-fine day it'll come a visiting me. Well, just maybe, if I keep lifting the iron, I won't have to go through what he's gone through.</div>
Have him ask them if it might be Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome. The military had me pegged with that but didn't do anything about it, the civilian doctors totally missed it, but along came the VA and in a 6-hour ordeal (I posted that story somewhere) it was done. No more arrythmias after 30 years of them. From there, with lifting and diet, the heart just kept improving, more than the doctors have ever seen!
WPW syndrome is evidently pretty common, often misdiagnosed. It's just a little short circuit in the heart that they cut with a laser, going in a vein from the groin.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 30 2007,00:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Jan. 29 2007,16:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm really pleased for you Quad. Great result.

My pop has atrial fibrillation and is on all sorts of drugs to control his heart rate. I've almost accepted that one not-so-fine day it'll come a visiting me. Well, just maybe, if I keep lifting the iron, I won't have to go through what he's gone through.</div>
Have him ask them if it might be Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome. The military had me pegged with that but didn't do anything about it, the civilian doctors totally missed it, but along came the VA and in a 6-hour ordeal (I posted that story somewhere) it was done. No more arrythmias after 30 years of them. From there, with lifting and diet, the heart just kept improving, more than the doctors have ever seen!
WPW syndrome is evidently pretty common, often misdiagnosed. It's just a little short circuit in the heart that they cut with a laser, going in a vein from the groin.</div>
Thanks for the info Quad. I will definitely ask him about the WPW syndrome. I do know that so far he has had the burning you mention done twice along with heart stopping and starting sessions.
wow.gif

He still has the problem but the drugs (beta blockers, I think) seem to be working although he doesn't much like the effect of them. He's always been an active person and did weights when I was a lad (took me to my first powerlifting meet) but hasn't done so for years now. The beta blockers keep his heart rate low which makes exercising that much more tiring.

A pacemaker has been suggested but he's not rushing into having one fitted as a great deal of progress is being made in the field at the moment and he's keen to see what develops.

I'd love to encourage him to start lifting again if there was a chance it could help but I would obviously need him to get the all clear from his doc.

Back