Help me out here

I

imported_etothepii

I don't remember if it was posted here, or on another forum, but wihtout the search option working here, it's hard to find anything...

I remember a thread about this powerlifter -- very strong with a hefty amount of bodyfat, who had an injury, so he decided to cut. He ended up amazingly ripped. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

Thanks

"So I got some clean food in there, but I also got some crap. My goal was to get a ton of protein, a ton of calories and finish my milk for the day. I don't know if this sounds like a lot of food, but I can eat a lot, and I was very sick of food when eating like this. I would gag a lot at meals and sometimes throw up my breakfast. It wasn't pleasant, but eating that way allowed me to gain a bunch of muscle."
*Quoting David Gulledge on how he bulked up to over 300 lb.s*

Thank you!!! If his name were a little more ordinary, I would have remembered. I'll have to bookmark that page.

I have some students who are "beefy" football players, and I think this might inspire them to work on their bodies a little after the season is over.

Dave Tate also did and yep he looked quite good afterwards, his eating habits were something bad 10,000 daily bad calories.

See project tate over at T-mag

Fausto, that is an interesting read. Reading about Tate's "before" diet is hilarious. Also, he is one of the broadest human beings that I have ever seen!

I liked this line from part 2:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So, as you can see, Dave has lost a total of 24 pounds (23.6 pounds of fat) and is looking considerably leaner.</div>

That's the kind of cut I could live with!

That's the look I'd like to achieve but I have many a mile to go before I get there, assuming it might be possible which it most likely isn't. 265lbs and very lean. Awesome. Again, it shows what basic compounds can do for you if you work at them consistantly and don't worry too much about adding bodyfat along the way. It can always come off once the foundation is there.

I'm not sure whether Tom is all natural at that size or whether powerlifters tend to take as much juice as bb'ers? Even though he is big he has a natural look. Eg. Traps more normally proportioned.

Dave thinks his arms are weak! I think they look great.

DSCN0115.JPG

Yeah, I can't believe he thinks his arms are weak. Those things are monstrous. Massive forearms, huge triceps. His lats are really amazing as well. I think a lot of guys would kill to look like that.

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 22 2006,22:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not sure whether Tom is all natural at that size or whether powerlifters tend to take as much juice as bb'ers? Even though he is big he has a natural look. Eg. Traps more normally proportioned.</div>
No, he wasn't a natural when powerlifting, and he admitted to using steroids to maintain his muscle when he cut. He looks pretty good, but nothing exceptional for a steroid user. Really makes you appreciate how incredibly talented the pro bbers are. I mean, not to take anything away from Dave's physique, but he is probably stronger than every Olympia contender up on stage (at least in one lift, if not all three), and, do you think he could compete with any of those guys on stage ? No way

I agree that Gulledge looks better than Tate, though Tate may still be cutting. I was just impressed by 24 pounds lost, but less than a pound of muscle loss. Whether he was also chemically aided, I don't know...seems pretty amazing to do that and not be, though.

Sorry Steve, I meant Dave Gulledge! Where the heck did I get Tom from?

Anyway, interesting about the roids. I suspect that the dosages used are not as extreme as the top bb boys but I don't know? Plus most bbers do a shed load of isos at the top level (in fact, every level
biggrin.gif
).

Also interesting is the list of injuries sustained by Dave Tate. Pretty horrific.
wow.gif
One he notes as being particularly painful was a torn abdominal during squatting. Not that I'm worried about a tear but my abs are sore today after my heavy 5s yesterday (from squats and weighted chins). Does this point to my needing to do more ab work to increase their strength?

<div>
(stevejones @ Sep. 23 2006,02:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Sep. 22 2006,22:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not sure whether Tom is all natural at that size or whether powerlifters tend to take as much juice as bb'ers? Even though he is big he has a natural look. Eg. Traps more normally proportioned.</div>
No, he wasn't a natural when powerlifting, and he admitted to using steroids to maintain his muscle when he cut.  He looks pretty good, but nothing exceptional for a steroid user.  Really makes you appreciate how incredibly talented the pro bbers are.  I mean, not to take anything away from Dave's physique, but he is probably stronger than every Olympia contender up on stage (at least in one lift, if not all three), and, do you think he could compete with any of those guys on stage ?  No way</div>
&quot;talented&quot; - good way to describe the incredible pharmaceutical aids the top bodybuilders have available. Gulledge has the look of the bodybuilders in the golden age, big, strong and ripped...but not 'freaky'. I believe that has alot to do with specific drugs. In the 70's bodybuilders were using basic androgens and they got very big, but not really freaky. Nowadays, they drugs are way more advanced and bodybuilders stack a variety of different ones to get as freaky as possible.
With gulledge's strength and genetics, he could focus on bodybuilding and take a wide variety of steroids and growth hormones to compete professionally if he wanted to.
To me a dead-giveaway to insane growth hormane use is the abs...Dave has a small waist, like the bodybuilders back in the 70's had. Nowadyas with growth hormones and everything else that is used, the Pro's have enormous muscles everywhere, including bulging abdominals that look disgusting...obvious side effect of GH use.
I personally like the look of the gloden age bodybuilders, they had 'help' but their physiques looked beautiful and proportional. Todays bodybuilders look more like monsters than the symmetrical, proportioned bodybuilders likle sergio olivia, zane, schwarzennegger, columbo, etc. Those guys all had a certain look, just like todays pros all have a certain look. Your kidding yourself if you don't think it has to do with the chemicals available during different times.

If arnold used the same stuff as ronnie coleman, he would probably have bulging abs and a more freaky, big physique. But he would also have ruined it if you ask me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I personally like the look of the gloden age bodybuilders, they had 'help' but their physiques looked beautiful and proportional.</div>Me too. This is a link to a vid of the guy who now runs my gym. I think it was taken when he won the NABBA Junior Mr. Universe in 2000. He was 20 at the time! He's obviously got great genetics. Not sure what gear he's taken as i've never asked but he has the look of the golden age guys who he admires a lot. He still looks absolutely massive to me and is as strong as an ox.

NABBA Mr Universe 2000 winner

Wow, that guy (mr. junior universe) looks fantastic!  His body is very well-proportioned...obviously great genetics, he reminds me of a white version of Flex Wheeler...long muscle bellies and perfect symmetry.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Sep. 23 2006,13:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;talented&quot; - good way to describe the incredible pharmaceutical aids the top bodybuilders have available.  Gulledge has the look of the bodybuilders in the golden age, big, strong and ripped...but not 'freaky'.  I believe that has alot to do with specific drugs.  In the 70's bodybuilders were using basic androgens and they got very big, but not really freaky.  Nowadays, they drugs are way more advanced and bodybuilders stack a variety of different ones to get as freaky as possible.</div>
Well, we don't know just how many drugs Gulledge is using, and whether or not he's using close to the same dosages as many pros. He has simply admitted to steroid use, which can mean many different things.

Hell, I could at least compete with Gulledge, and I'm not even on the juice. Never in a million years could I compete with today's pros, no matter what I took. Neither can Dave. Today's pro bbers are like superstars in professional sports. Just because they're on juice, HGH, and whatever else doesn't mean they aren't talented. They are the best in the world.

<div>
(stevejones @ Sep. 24 2006,01:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, we don't know just how many drugs Gulledge is using, and whether or not he's using close to the same dosages as many pros.  He has simply admitted to steroid use, which can mean many different things.  

Hell, I could at least compete with Gulledge, and I'm not even on the juice.  Never in a million years could I compete with today's pros, no matter what I took.  Neither can Dave.  Today's pro bbers are like superstars in professional sports.  Just because they're on juice, HGH, and whatever else doesn't mean they aren't talented.  They are the best in the world.</div>
Good point, I am not trying to take away the accomplishments of the pros, they put serious dedication into their professions. These guys are born with certain natural gifts, and then they take those gifts and push them to the limits. I agree steve, the pro bb's are amazing and admirable. I also think it is very admirable that a powerlifter decided to cut down and show that IT IS possible to build an awesome physique with basic power-lifting training. In every gym across the country there are skinny beginners doing countless biceps curls and reading crazy stuff in the muscle mags, and we all know these guys would be better off focusing on moving more iron in the basic lifts. They would put on a ton more muscle rather than wasting time with countless iso's. The mainstream thinks bodybuilders got that way doing hundreds of different iso's and that powerlifters aren't muscular, just strong on a few lifts. I admire Dave for giving powerlifters some credit to the muscle they develop.
True, he is not anywhere near a pro-level bodybuilder, but he does look pretty damn good for a powerlifter who just decided to lose some fat.

Back