HST, insulin resistance, and obesity

java- congratulations on what you've achieved so far. Am I right in thinking you're dropping what you eat down to 800 Calories/day, though? This is a very low Calorie diet (and you're going to be very restricted in what you eat). If you haven't already, I'd suggest discussing this with your Dr or dietician: especially if you've got health problems resulting from your weight, you need to be careful not to damage your health.

Anyway, good luck.

If you want to keep us updated on your progress, you could always start a log in the training logs section.

<div>
(jmm @ Jun. 03 2007,12:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">java- congratulations on what you've achieved so far.  Am I right in thinking you're dropping what you eat down to 800 Calories/day, though?  This is a very low Calorie diet (and you're going to be very restricted in what you eat).  If you haven't already, I'd suggest discussing this with your Dr or dietician: especially if you've got health problems resulting from your weight, you need to be careful not to damage your health.

Anyway, good luck.</div>
Who would`ve thought it...PSMF=VLCD. That`s a surprise.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Jun. 03 2007,15:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(jmm @ Jun. 03 2007,12:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">java- congratulations on what you've achieved so far. Am I right in thinking you're dropping what you eat down to 800 Calories/day, though? This is a very low Calorie diet (and you're going to be very restricted in what you eat). If you haven't already, I'd suggest discussing this with your Dr or dietician: especially if you've got health problems resulting from your weight, you need to be careful not to damage your health.

Anyway, good luck.</div>
Who would`ve thought it...PSMF=VLCD. That`s a surprise.</div>
I meant 'very low Calorie' in the sense of eating a diet which is very low in Calories, rather than VLCD plans like Cambridge. 800 is very low, especially if you're active.

I`m not sure I understand what you`re arguing...VLCD=Very Low Calorie Diet=a diet that is low in calories. The term predates any dieting approaches that may have bastardized it in modern times. And 800 cals is fairly typical caloric intake for a PSMF. Low?Yes, but that`s the point, it`s a short(ish) term very intense approach to dieting.

I really think a log in our training logs section would be a great addition to your many pronged attack . I am sure the support wouldn't hurt and exposing yourself to the accountability a log fosters could be an excellent motivator in your struggle.
Good luck brother, sometimes it's better to focus on where to put your foot for the next step than to look too far up ahead . Some really intelligent thinkers here - looks like you've already got some great advice, personally I'm not the best for nutritional stuff but wanted you to know I'm rooting for you!
smile.gif

Log it. Here or on Bodyrecomposition or another serious board where you`ll not get crap handholding support and no pointers WRT what you`re doing wrong. And please, read the book carefully and stick to what it says(hint:if it says that shakes serve as plumbing and as an occasional part of the diet, why in the world the first thing you do is get two casein-shake based meals per day?how hard can it be to actually follow what`s written there?if it doesn`t work and you`ve done it by the book, you can say the method sucks, but if it doesn`t work and you`ve putzed with it beyond recognition, how will you know wheter or not it was actually your fault?)

Thanks for the additional advice Morgoth.

I actually only get one casein protein shake a day and sugar free jello has become a close friend.
biggrin.gif

I'm having decent success on the PSMF. I'm losing ~5 lbs per week. I got down to 390 last week.

This week I'm on vacation, which also coincides to my 9 days off for HST and thought it was better to be at maintenance so I don't lose any lbm while I'm not lifting.

Next monday I'm back to it and I'll start a training log then.

I've kinda combined PMSF with IF, in that I eat all my calories in a four hour stretch at night. It seems to be very effective in adding muscle and shedding fat. All of my muscles have continued to grow. Of course, I know that being as fat as I am has a big part to play in this as well.

I love the threads asking Lyle how many carbs/fats people can eat on a PSMF. Too funny. That body recomposition forum is hilarious.

If I'm going to post a training log, its going to be here, where hopefully, I'll be less likely to be anally probed.
laugh.gif

Anal probing is a very good incentive to get results. Sure, pussies start to whine that ppl are being meanies and whatnot, but you`re certainly not a pussy, are you now?
smile.gif

Seriously, I suggest you should bite the bullet and at least copy the eventual log you`ll maintain here and paste it there. There are a lot of ppl on BR that know a lot about dieting, and some who were in situations similar to yours. Plus, I`ll get the chance to tell you BFU(don`t ask what it means:D ), if I were to tell you this here I would be a meanie.

Congrats on your progress, keep up the good work.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anal probing is a very good incentive to get results.</div>

Very, very true.

Honestly, if it wasn't for your directness, I wouldn't have really taken the hard look at what I was doing that I did.

I'll think about it. I'm not sure if I've crossed the threshold yet of non-pussiness. At least I'm honest.
laugh.gif

Back