HST Routine #3

4/22/08

Assisted Chins 9th plate 2x10 8th Plate 1x10/BB Bench 185 lbs 2x10,1x8
Standing DB Curls 70 lbs 1x10, 1x7, 1x4 (cluster) 1x6, 1x5 (cluster) /Skullz 70 lbs 3x8

I was quite happy with my bench today, nearly got 3x10 for 185 which is just shy of my BW at 192 or so...and I'm jumping in with pretty consistent progression considering I was on a 3 month layoff.  I jumped up in weight too quickly on my curls and skullz though, especially considering it was chest/back day...so these may well be my final weights for the 10's in those exercises.  I am keeping extremely strict form on all of my movements
smile.gif

4/24/08

Deads 225 lbs 3x7/Seated DB Press 110 lbs 2x10,1x8
Seated DB Curls 70 lbs 1x7,1x3 (cluster) 1x7,1x3 (cluster) 1x7,1x3 (cluster)/Seated Calf Raise (single leg) 45 lbs 3x12
Shrugs 180 lbs 1x10, 230 lbs 2x10

I hit a wall with deads today, not sure why 225 felt so heavy...nowhere near 3x10.  I'll stay at this weight until I get it.  Grip is an issue as well even at this light weight.  The long layoff is really evident in this exercise, especially because I had just 1 cycle of it previously.  Oh well!

4/26/08

BB Bench 190 lbs 1x10, 195 lbs 2x10, Pendlays 155 lbs 3x9
Incline DB Curls 70 lbs 1x6,1x5 (clustered) 1x6,1x5 (clustered) 1x6,1x5 (clustered)
Tricep Extensions (single arm behind-the-neck) 70 lbs combined 3x8

I felt sick after the pendlay's and had to take a little break.  I'm not sure if it was the leaned over position, the weight was too heavy, or I was breathing incorrectly.  What I know is that I got dizzy and started to sweat profusely...I think it was partially anxiety related because I started to get nervous when I got dizzy and the HR seemed pretty high...

4/28/08

Squats 185 lbs 3x9/Seated DB Shoulder Press 110 lbs 3x10
Incline DB Curls 70 lbs 3x8/Calf Raise (single leg) leg press machine 140 lbs 3x12
Skullz 50 lbs 1x10, 60 lbs 2x10, Shrugs 230 lbs 1x10, 270 lbs 2x10

Squats are feeling a bit better in terms of proper form according to SS. Still having flexibility related issues as well as difficulty maintaining rigid thoracic musculature and keeping the chest up, especially at the top when the weight feels like it will roll if If I lift my chest and get more rigid. I'll keep working on it.

<div>
(soflsun @ Apr. 20 2008,10:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah...it's really a bitch of a position.  I was surprised that the squat motion was actually the easy part, granted with light weight but still.  I tried that stretch and definitley need to loosen up, especially on the right side.

Sci,  how do you recommend stretching the internal rotators?  Thanks guys.</div>
Doorway.jpg

Broomstick.jpg

Doorway.jpg

4/30/08

BB Bench 205 lbs 1x9,2x8/Assisted Pullups 8th plate 2x10, 7th plate 1x10
Standing DB Curls 70 lbs 3x8/Tricep Extensions (single arm behind-the-neck) 35 lbs 3x6

My goals for the 10's before proceeding are...

BB Bench 205 lbs 3x10
Assisted Pullups 6th Plate 3x10
DB Curls 70 lbs 3x10
Squats 205 lbs 3x10
Deads 225 lbs 3x10
Pendlay's 155 lbs 3x10

The other stuff I'm not that concerned about...

Anyone have suggestions for 5's or 6's in terms of getting at least 24 reps/exercise with regard to configuration of the sets?

Good goals soflsun. Please tell me that the 70lb for DB curls is the combined weight and not just for a single dumbbell?
wow.gif

For 24 total reps during 5s, how about:

5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3 at the start of 5s

to

5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 at the end of 5s?

Then cluster in 3s after that.

5/2/08

Deads 225 lbs 2x9,1x8/Press 95 lbs 3x10
Seated DB Curls 70 lbs 2x10,1x8/Calf Raise (single leg) leg press machine 140 lbs 3x12
Shrugs 270 lbs 4x10

I really hope my grip improves...It's limiting me even at 225 lbs (reverse grip) on the last couple of reps. I don't want to use straps so the strength improves though. My form breaks down as my grip fails, so its not a good situation.

5/4/08

BB Bench 205 lbs 2x10,1x8/Pendlay Rows 135 lbs 1x10, 155 lbs 2x10
DB Curls 70 lbs (combined) 3x8/Skullz 70 lbs 3x8

Right hand injury (old) bothering me a bit.  I think it would be wise to get it checked out...but I'm not ready to end this cycle for another 4 weeks minimum.

5/6/08

Squats 185 lbs 4x7, Seated DB Shoulder Press 110 lbs 3x10
Seated DB Curls 70 lbs(combined) 3x10,1x6
Seated Calf Raise (single leg) 70 lbs/Shrugs 270 lbs 3x10

I'm having a real tough time finding my groove with squats.  I moved the bar higher up on my traps due to some issues I need to work out, and the weight felt much heavier than last workout.  This will be my toughest challenge I think.  Good news is it didn't hurt my shoulders or wrists as much as the low-bar variety.  What is your guys take on a Manta Ray?  Cheating?

I don't think using a manta ray is cheating. If that's the only way you can include squats into your workout, then go for it.

<div>
(soflsun @ May 06 2008,6:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What is your guys take on a Manta Ray?  Cheating?</div>
No, not cheating, but rather a big help. I've never used one, but there are guys with tight shoulders or tender traps who can't do squats at all without using some sort of device like the Manta Ray. It's just too difficult for them to hold the bar on their shoulders.

Whatever lets you do real squats instead of using the Shirley Machine or the leg press has to be considered a benefit.

Now my shoulder flexibility is improved I would say work on that before going the Manta Ray route. I can understand wanting a bit of protection in a high bar squat as, when the loads get heavy, it's very easy to allow your shoulders to drop and let the bar press on your cervical vertebrae. I used to strip the skin off my neck all the time.

The low bar squat forces you to keep your shoulders back and your traps tight keeping a nice cushion of muscle under the bar (assuming you don't space your hands too far apart on the bar). Some will obviously take longer to improve flexibility than others but I think it's worth giving it a good shot before deciding to use a Manta Ray.

If you have nerve pain issues rather than lack of flexibility discomfort then the Manta Ray might be the best choice.

Thanks guys. I'll give it until the end of this cycle to see if my flexibility improves to the point that the exercise isn't painful. If not, then I will try the Manta Ray. I'm thinking that with all of the extra surface area that the pruduct allows there may be a bit less stabilization musculature in use, but it's better than not squatting!

Try some shoulder dislocates too. You just need a broom handle to perform them. They have helped free up my shoulder tightness over the last few months. I'm hoping they'll help my overhead squats too.

6/8/08 - last day of 10's

Bench 205 lbs 2x10,1x8/Assisted Pullups 7th Plate 3x10
Seated DB curls 70 lbs 3x10/Skullz 70 lbs 3x10

I bothered my right shoulder a bit today, it's had problems for many years.  It's always just a matter of time before it becomes a nuisance during a cycle.  I'm thinking some more warmup and stretching may be the key to keeping the pain at bay for longer periods...or maybe even completely??  I'm going to give it a try, for now ibuprofen!

<div>
(soflsun @ May 08 2008,7:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...for now ibuprofen!</div>
Ibuprofen is body builder candy...
laugh.gif

Take good care of your shoulders. If you get them messed up, they will mess up your workouts. Trust me on that...
sad.gif

Back