HST Routine #3

Good work on the guns sof. I'm considering adding in DB's myself again this upcoming cycle. I hate db's as I do so much better with a bar, but that probably means that they are what I need to do, rather than what I'm good at.

5/25/08

Deads 275 lbs 1x3, 1x4, 3x5/DB Lateral Raises (side) 50 lbs 5x8
DB Curls (seated) 90 lbs 4x5/Dips BW 4x12
Shrugs 270 lbs 3x10

I took a shart load of time between my dead sets.  275 lbs just seemed much heavier than my last workout, and my wedding ring dug into my finger on the first set so I was forced to cut is short.  I don't know how I managed 5x5 last week??  Hope the strenght comes back!

The jump to 45 lbs with the db curls was a LOT more difficult than I thought.  It's a PR for me if that even matters though.  I asked a guy to stand in front of me and help me by spotting my wrists if I got stuck, so I could complete the sets.  I'd say he helped me on the 4th and 5th reps of almost every set...but I as glad to expose myself to some higher weight there.

I have my MRI images now, so I have to get back to the doctor for him to evaluate them.  I tried to look, but I honestly didn't see anything, nor did I know what to look for.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">... my wedding ring dug into my finger on the first set so I was forced to cut is short. </div> That seems a bit drastic! Couldn't you have just taken the ring off?  
laugh.gif

Hope the lack of obvious signs of injury in the MRI scans turns out to be the case once your Doc has seen them.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I took a shart load of time between my dead sets. 275 lbs just seemed much heavier than my last workout, and my wedding ring dug into my finger on the first set so I was forced to cut is short. I don't know how I managed 5x5 last week?? Hope the strenght comes back!</div>

i used to have to same problem sometimes with the wedding ring. So i started taking it off and on, but then i got afraid i'd lose it so i bought some chalk and and it works wonders with heavy weights.

5/27/08

Incline Bench 185 lbs/Pullups BW 4x6
DB Curls (seated) 80 lbs 5x6/Dips BW 4x12

Had to use the incline bench for the first time this cycle because the flat benches were all taken...

<div>
(soflsun @ May 27 2008,11:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Had to use the incline bench for the first time this cycle because the flat benches were all taken...</div>
Yup. I've have that happen to me a coupla times. I find that I am not able to keep up the same weight on the incline bench as I can on the flat bench.

5/29/08

Deads 275 lbs 5x5/Lateral Raise (side) 60 lbs 4x8
DB Curls (seated) 90 lbs 5x5/Dips BW 3x15

Deads seem to be getting harder every workout...at the same weight?? My form is beginning to break down, hips rising too fast, so my lower back took a real beating today. I may need to lower the weight...maybe I increased too fast. I'd rather do them correcly at at a lower weight than risk hurting myself.

5/31/08

Bench 235 lbs 4x6/Pullups BW 4x8
DB Curls (seated) 80 lbs 5x6/Dips BW 3x10

I'm pretty much maxed at bench for 6 reps...will have to drop to triples for further weight increases if I want to maintain 24 reps minimum. Plus, I'm starting a cut so the weights will inevitably feel heavier!

6/2/08

Press 115 lbs 5x5
DB Curls (seated) 90 lbs 5x5
Dips BW 3x20

The workout was a bit off today because my lower back was way too sore for deads today...plus my wife was nagging me to come home quickly so we could go out to dinner.  Press was good, especially considering I hadn't done them in a several weeks due to my hand injury.  The last 1-2 reps of the last 2 sets were push presses, but the rest were strict.  Also, the 3x20 of dips at BW really pumped up my chest and felt good!

edit:  The cut is going well so far.  I've cut out all grain based carbs...but I'm still eating veggies, nuts, dairy and some fruit.  I'm not counting calories, but my carbs are most likely under 100g/day and that has reduced my total intake of calories for the day.  I'm thinking I'm at about a 500+ cal deficit per day due to the retricted carbs.

Friday 6/6 will be 11 weeks for this cycle, so I will probably SD. I could probably push further into triples and such, but considering this is my fist cycle after a 3 month layoff I am happy with the results. Plus, I want to let my joints rest a bit before I give a real push into maxes next cycle.

Yeah Bax...I'm going to continue the elimination of all grains.  My net defecit will be lower due to the fact that I won't be exercising though.  Honestly, I'm just too fat right now...so even if I lose some muscle in the process it's a necessary evil.  I gained about 15 lbs this cycle, and I'd say 5-6 of those pounds went directly to my midsection.  I think I averaged about 1 lb. of muscle gain per week or so over the 11 weeks...weight comes easily for me, both fat and muscle.  I'll post a pic.

edit: I'm at 200 lbs now.

edit:  I'm fatter, weaker, and smaller (muscles) than last year...it is what it is.  I'm cutting now.  You can click on the image for a larger preview I think.

Huge arms, awesome overhead shot of the front delts, nice chest.  Good luck with your cut because when you trim away some of that midsection, you're gonna look HUUUGE!!  Great job man!!!
cool.gif

Thanks Bax,

I just feel so fat and sloppy. When I look at my pics from last year it just seems like things were much better. That was back in the days of a traditional body part split 5x/week, where I hit one group each day. But, I hadn't taken a break in over 6 months so I was quite conditioned. Is it possible that works better for me? Anyway, it could be worse considering this is my first cycle back after 3 months off. Surprisingly (by the looks of the first pic) I actually look quite fit and muscular with a shirt ON!!
cool.gif

Soflsun: you just need a good few uninterrupted cycles and you'll be back on top form again. I said a similar thing to Bax for your post in the Your Pics thread. Before a cut clothes are your best friend.
wink.gif

Lol,

Yeah I could really use some uninterrupted cycles for sure. Problem is, this thing in my hand needs to be removed the hand surgeon says. It's about the size of a sixth knuckle now, but I'm still going to get a second opinion in NJ when I visit my family over the next couple of weeks. He said that the lump is deep, 3 cm, and will take 2 months before I can lift again!! I need a better second opinion!!

6/6/08

SCHOOL IS OUT HERE IN MIAMI!!  NO MORE KIDS FOR 9 WEEKS!!!

Press (strict) 95 lbs 1x10, 115 lbs 4x6/Calf Raises (seated single-leg) 70 lbs 3x12
DB Curls (seated) 80 lbs 5x7/Dips BW 2x20,1x12
Shrugs 320 lbs 3x8

I felt strong today even without any grains for over a week.  My body feels like its changing composition from flabby to tighter.  Weight is still about the same 198 or so, but pants are looser...

6/9/08

I'm working out at a new gym for the next couple of months here in NJ...

Bench 225 lbs 1x5, 245 lbs 2x5,2x4/Pullups BW 4x6
DB Curls 90 lbs 1x5, (seated) 80 lbs 5x6/Dips BW 4x10
Skullz 95 lbs 1x8

Weird olympic bars at this gym, they may be lighter...  The knurling seems to be in a different location or spacing or something.

6/11/08

I worked out with my younger brother today...so things were a little mixed up.

Press 115 lbs 2x5, 135 lbs 2x5 PR/Deads 135 lbs 1x10 225 lbs 1x5
Bench 225 lbs 1x5, 205 lbs 3x5
DB Curls (seated) 80 lbs 2x6, 90 lbs 2x5/Dips BW 3x15

It wasn't deads or bench day, but was working with my brother on his form.  The weights don't have any sgnificance in the cycle.

Back