I, BODYBUILDER: Radical Strategy for Radical Hyper

Well, I developed an I-B type workout and will try it for a couple of months. I will of course let you know if I get 36 pounds of pure beef in the form of Black Ops or whatever ha-ha. It is based on a warm-up/fatigue set (12 RM), a single rep with heavy weight for CNS activation, and then a progressive set based on 12 RM, which will slowly increase in weight each workout.

<div>
(ryolacap @ Aug. 13 2009,6:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">.....It is based on a warm-up/fatigue set (12 RM), a single rep with heavy weight for CNS activation, and then a progressive set based on 12 RM.....</div>

Hmmm, so I was reading some of the posts here, and decided to google on Rate Coding. This lead me to this page: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/plyomyths.html
In the Rate Coding section it mentioned an idea Russian &quot;stimulation method&quot;. The bold underline is added emphasis by me:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In this regard the Russian &quot;stimulation method&quot; in my opinion is better at doing what the shock method/depth jumps are supposed to do. Here you perform one exercise to really activate or excite the CNS. You then follow it up with an exercise to take advantage of the CNS excitability, which temporarily boosts rate coding. Over time your body becomes more sensitive to the neural discharges from your CNS and learns to accept a new level of force as being normal for a particular movement. Think of a baseball player swinging a bat loaded up with weights before he steps in the batters box. The loaded bat allows him to swing a regular bat with more speed and power. The stimulation methods are also known as post-activation potentiation methods. Here are a few examples:
</div>

This led me to google some more on post-activation potentiation (PAP), leading me to this research review: http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/postactivationUNM.html
PAP is used in whats called &quot;Complex Training&quot;, which is apparantely quite useful for sports specific training, eg a page I quickly googled http://www.brianmac.co.uk/complex.htm

So PAP is already used at the moment. For example I imagine a basketballer might do the following to improve his vertical jumping:
1- weight exercise (Barbell Squats)
2- plyometric (squat jumps)

Now, hidden under layers of Anaconda sales hype in the I,BODYBUILDER preview, the actual training appears to taking advantage of this PAP concept.
The difference being instead of using a &quot;weight exercise + plyometric&quot; like in Complex Training, they are going with &quot;really heavy weight exercise + lighter weight exercise&quot;.
Now we dont want to throw out the idea with the anaconda water....

Implementing a &quot;PAP set&quot;:
Seems fairly straightforward, so I'll take a shot at it.
1- Warm up
2- Knock out 1 rep at 95%+ of 1RM. This gets your CNS excited, and the temporary Rate Coding boost.
3- Rest for a minute or two
4- Proceed with the regular work sets for this session.

How could PAP be applied to Hypertrophy training:
I'll take a stab at it. Using a standard HST setup, I could see a &quot;PAP set&quot; being using at the end of a cycle, replacing negatives/drop sets weeks. So imagine you're at your 5RM, in theory, a &quot;PAP set&quot; should see you able to increase your 5RM. Thus, you can continue with a little bit more progressive loading and thus stay ahead of RBE a little longer.

How could PAP be applied to Strength training:
dunno, dont have enough experience so wont make any attempt at a comment
biggrin.gif

The I-Bod routine is very similar to Max Stim, except it is clusters and it ascends in weight, but the idea of fast as possible acceleration and fatigue control.  The ½ pyramid is suppose to warm up the CNS.  They also prescribe to self regulate the weight you use because your bodies ability varies everyday.  Make sense especially since it has a lot of similarities to MS but I think it is easier to apply because of clusters and a build up of weight to match your ability.

So what I said above was incorrect for I-B but something of my own invention and my colleague Trump aptly named PAP Sets, and it actually worked pretty well.

I changed one application, I did as many of the activation rep as I could until the weight slowed down.

It started at 2-3 but by week 6 I was doing 5-6

Please discuss….

ryolacap,
have you done any experimenting around doing and skipping the heavy CNS activator set and how it affects your subsequent work sets?

I would like someone to chime in about

Auto regulation
ramping
explosive lifting
limited volume at high weight

baiscly Ibod is focusing on the perfect rep please read the article and lets discuss the values and limitations of what is being said.

I think some of the priciples are pretty solid but personally I see some flaws. Anyone else what to chime in......?

Back