Last 2 wk stage ?'s

klint12

I'm just heading into my last 2wks (of the 8wk program) I've noticed the last few weeks my work outs the day after a 2 day rest (Sat-Sun) are a lot more productive than the ones after one day-seems like I'd get more benefit using a two day rest for the next couple weeks until my strategic break, yes? Any last thoughts on extra week of 5's vs. triples. Thanks.

Adding an additional day of rest when things are really heavy can really benefit you if you are not sufficiently recovering your strength. I don't know that 3 rep sets are going to benefit you as much as adding drop sets... or at least throw in a slow 12-15 rep set to finish things off when you're done.

seems like I'd get more benefit using a two day rest for the next couple weeks until my strategic break, yes?
That's a great example of listening to your body. If the two day rest is giving you better results, then you should go ahead.

As for your extra week, you can indefinitely extend the 5's (using your max load). You don't have to end the cycle just because the 8th week (or whatever ending week you had in mind) is over. You should stop only when you see that the gains have stopped.

As for what you can add during the extra weeks, negatives are a long-time favorite. Personally, however, I just hold on to the 5-rep max for as long as I can see they are productive (usually, 2-4 weeks more in my personal experience), and then SD.

Back