MAX-STIM FOR MASS.

You get an Attaboy!
Your pull position is to the gut whereas mine is to the chest: you could put another set of U-bolts in front of the machine rather than behind the uprights if that might feel better. You'd have more leverage and be able to put more plates on, therefore inflating your ego, allowing you to surge forward into big numbers, put on more plates and inflate your back musclulature!
You'll find that soon you'll want more padding. I did, and butchered a pad off a Weider bench, so I've bastardized mine...

I thought about designing it to pull to the chest, but this feels more natural for me and really hits my whole back: lats, traps, rhomboids, rotator cuff and rear delts, even my erector spinae are involved when I am at the top and have to extend the spine to complete the rep....dang! Now thats what I call a compound back exercise!
smile.gif

Now I know what you mean about coming up off the pad somewhat at the top of an explosive pull! Feels G-R-E-A-T!
smile.gif

SWEET ROW MACHINE!! I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Are their specific dimensions for it? I like how you can rest your chest on the small platform to keep good form. Nice work!!

While you nancy boys are all resting your torsos on those fancy schmancy padded rowing machines of yours, I'll be Pendlaying myself to death with a heavy a$$ bb and building spinal erectors from hell.

OK, I'll admit it; your machine looks pretty cool Sci. Good job.
biggrin.gif

1/12/08

Bench- 175 4x5
Press- 115 4x5
CG Bench- 145 4x5
Laterals- 22.5s 4x5

Having direct bicep and tricep work is really helping. My upper arms are up 1/2" since I started this cycle. Even though I am regaining size after a cut, that is still quite rapid growth! (less than month!)
wow.gif

12/14/07 measurements:
Weight: 180 lb.s
Thigh: 24"
Waist: 33"
Chest: 43"
Arm: 15"

1/12/08 measurements:
Weight: 189 lb.s (up 9 lb.s)
Thigh: 24.5" (up 0.5")
Waist: 33.75" (up 0.75")
Chest: 43.75" (up 0.75")
Arm: 15.5" (up 0.5")

Obviously I am growing, but also gained some fat. My bodyfat is up 1.5% to 2% which is about 3-4 lb.s of body fat vs. 5-6 lb.s of lean mass. I partly expected this as the body is in weight gain mode right after a long cutting diet! Not bad partitioning ratio, but obviously I am bulking a bit too fast (2 lb.s/week) and may need to slow down the calories.
blush.gif

...or just screw it and get HyoogE (and fat)!
laugh.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 12 2008,19:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was joking...!
biggrin.gif
</div>
My bad, it is tough sometimes to tell the meaning of words online!
tounge.gif

Lol, Sci: I do Pendlay's. T-bar is supplemental as a variation only. I originally built mine to save the lower back, but deads and pendlay's are &quot;saving&quot; the back...by strengthening it. T-bar hits the back only slightly differently, and I feel that's a good thing occasionally.
If I really wanted to waste time I'd still be doing onearm db rows.

Shrugs, Squats and Deadlifts work my lower back. Pendlay rows just feel risky to me with the spine loaded and parallel to the ground, I never liked them.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 13 2008,14:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I really wanted to waste time I'd still be doing onearm db rows.</div>
laugh.gif
 Yeah, and with only a 120lb db I can understand that!  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

I'll echo Quad and say that Pendlays (or strict rows off the floor, with each rep deloaded) have helped my lower back strength hugely. I do think that you need to work on hamstring flexibility before the position that you are in feels really strong and safe. Any rounding of the lower back rather than rotation at the hips is going to compromise the safety of the movement when you are moving heavy loads.

Right. A proper Pendlay requires you (I have discovered) to fully tense every muscle in your torso, legs, and maybe face, to &quot;set&quot; yourself for the lift. The back should not move whatsoever, so it's like making yourself into a steel crane. I feel that since there is no spinal movement, it's actually a safer exersize than anything that moves the erectors.
(and if you don't make a funny face, you ain't doin' it right...)
smile.gif

Great progress so far Sci.

I was looking at your measurements and bodyfat.

I would say don't worry about the added fat yet...3 to 4 pounds is not bad and generally in my expirence partioning is the best right after a cut.

When I get down to about 8 to 10% bodyfat I can bump calories through the roof way above normal even 1,000 or more a day and it takes still about a good month or more for the fat to kick in. ( You got to love partioning) however after about 2 months or so my body seems to have caught up with what I am doing and the weight comes on easier.

So if I were you I would enjoy the partioning as long as I can ( you get to eat more junk
biggrin.gif
) and then slow it down when you feel the fat is too easily coming on.

Not to take away from your log but damn you guys can build some cool stuff.

I wish I had Sci and Quad handy man talent...( all of my talent comes in the form of making money and running a business) I can't do jack squat like that on my own.

Awesome T bar machine Sci!

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 13 2008,23:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wish I had Sci and Quad handy man talent...( all of my talent comes in the form of making money and running a business) I can't do jack squat like that on my own.</div>
Yeah, but it sounds like you are one of those 'lucky' folks who could get someone else to build it for them instead. Every cloud has a silver lining!  
biggrin.gif

Hey, that's great news on the arm size, Sci, especially in such a short time.

Back