nkl's training log

2008-09-13:

Weight: 70,7 kg (155,5 lbs) (-0,6 kg [-1,3 lbs] from yesterday) (+1,2 kg [2,6 lbs] from start, 24 days ago)

Routine: HST 10s routine A (Chins, Dips, Deadlift, Curls, Press, Chrunches, Wrist extensions)
Note: Skipped Press due to problem with levator scapulae muscle, and substituted DL with Squats with back support

Target kcal: 3373 kcal (after subtracting TEM: 13,7% from 3908 kcals) (+475 kcal)

Macros: 33% (234g) P; 52% (417g) C; 15% (55g) F (after subtracting TEM)

2008-09-14:

Weight: 71,9 kg (158,2 lbs) (+1,2 kg [2,6 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,4 kg [5,3 lbs] from start, 25 days ago)

Routine: Recovery

Target kcal: 1601 kcal (after subtracting TEM: 13,2% from 1845 kcals) (-1134 kcal)

Macros: 34% (115g) P; 34% (130g) C; 32% (54g) F (after subtracting TEM)

2008-09-15:

Weight: 71,5 kg (157,3 lbs) (-0,4 kg [-0,9 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,0 kg [4,4 lbs] from start, 26 days ago)

Routine: HST 10s routine B (Rows, Bench, Squats, Press, Curls, Chrunches, Wrist extensions)
Note: not sure about the movements that involves upper trapz and neck muscles...

Target kcal: 3387 kcal (after subtracting TEM: 13,7% from 3926 kcals) (+499 kcal)

Macros: 33% (237g) P; 52% (416g) C; 16% (56g) F (after subtracting TEM)

Some comments on my training routine:
I've been reviewing the latest discussion (here) on training technique on Bodyrecomp forum where Blade, Lyle, Ron and others have butted head on the topic of what stimulates muscle the most. High volume, low volume, rest-pause, etc.

My previous proposal of mixing mechanical and metabolic stress (here, here, here, and here)  and the methods used by Blade and others are strikingly similar.  

There are variations. One method is to do one (1) working set with a heavy weight and then deload and do another 15-20 reps rest-pause set or several clustered sets until the muscle is truly trashed with metabolites. The work set will give you mecanical stimuli, and the "widowmaker" cluster set will increase TUT and metabolic work.

My variation is to use MS to crank up the weight so I get close to my 1RM (of course using HST load progression or the RBE would stop me after a couple of bouts) and extend the M-time to allow me to get my target reps, then I deload to 50% of 1RM and either do functional isometrics (FI) or simply do another 15-20 reps until I'm close to failure. I even cluster these reps with shortest possible M-time to get my target reps or TUT (approx 60 sec). That is the primary goal, whatever method.

One particular detail in the discussion was interesting. The change from high to low volume can trigger a growth spurt. This is the case with specialization. The extra stimuli somehow activates the growth process when the stimuli changes. It's easy to overtrain on high volume so it's a good thing to limit the time span - A sort of planned overreaching. Cycling low and high volume should make a difference.

One more thing was brought up. Split training. Using high volume it's insanity to do whole body routines. The guys claimed that most of the really big trainees are those who do split workouts. I should plan to include some weeks with high volume push-pull splits into my program, targeting large muscle groups.

The HST principles physical strain, frequency, and load progression are essential in this (add SD to make it complete).

For now, today I'm doing my last 10s, and will then enter the 5s.

2008-09-16:

Weight: 72,4 kg (159,3 lbs) (+0,9 kg [2,0 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,9 kg [6,4 lbs] from start, 27 days ago)

Target kcal: 1358 kcal (after subtracting TEM: 14,0% from 1580 kcals) (-1547 kcal)
or this might be more helpful (i.e., not subtracting TEM):
Target kcal: 1580 kcal (-1325 kcal)

Macros: 38% (110g) P; 30% (98g) C; 32% (45g) F (after subtracting TEM)
or put in a more common way:
Macros: 44% (147g) P; 28% (106g) C; 28% (47g) F (before subtracting TEM)

Graph:
2008-09-16.jpg

Added some info in bottom part of graph on real caloric intake (the thin white-blue zig-zaggin line), 2-day average caloric intake (white-reddish line) and expenditure (yellow-greenish line) with values on the right hand side.

Coming up:
Tomorrow is the 28-day reality check. We'll see what directions I will take, depending on measurements.

2008-09-17:

Weight: 71,6 kg (157,5 lbs) (-0,8 kg [-1,8 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,1 kg [4,6 lbs] from start, 28 days ago)

Routine: HST 5s routine A (Chins, Dips, Deadlift, Curls, Press, Chrunches, Wrist extensions)

Target kcal: 3850 kcal (+1099 kcal) (3317 kcal after subtracting TEM)

Macros: 38% (315g) P; 47% (435g) C; 14% (58g) F before subtracting TEM
            33% (236g) P; 51% (400g) C; 16% (56g) F after subtracting TEM

28-day reality check:

Waist: 85 cm (33.46 in) (down from 87,5 cm 10 days ago)

Biceps: 33 cm (13 in) flexed (sorry, I changed from non-flexed - but I want to match the description of how to measure these sites from the genetic limits web page posted by Wildman)

Skinfold: 14,5 mm approx. (from 5 measurements)

I think I have accomplished some of the goals I have set up. Waist circumference have decreased and upper arm girth have increased. This is not entirely from muscle memory as my arm measurent is a new personal best.

It looks like my current scheme works. You may have noticed that I deviated a bit from my initial thinking, with very high intakes on WO days and killer low intakes on off days. But the deviation is not that large. Let me explain. I previously listed the caloric value of my intake where TEM have been subtracted. This distorts the truth somewhat. For example, where I have reported a caloric intake of 3317 kcals after TEM with a surplus of +566 kcals, the actual intake is 3850, ie., a surplus of +1099 kcals. That's a big difference.

So how much have I been eating? If I pick my reading from the 27th of august: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Target kcal: 3861 kcal (after subtracting TEM: 13,2% from 4451 kcals) (1000 excess)
Macros: 30% (247g) P; 55% (505g) C; 15% (61g) F (after subtracting TEM) </div>The actual intake was 4451 kcal (+1540 kcal) before subtracting TEM.
Macros: 35% (330g) P; 52% (548g) C; 13% (63g) F (before subtracting TEM)

From now on I will be fair and use real intake (omitting TEM calculations).

In my analysis I have also discovered that it's easier to see the relationship between intake and expenditure if I do not subtract TEM (it is actually an expenditure correlated with food intake). Using this tool it's also easier to predict how the gains and losses will come out.

Whatever method I previously used to count, I gained weight too rapid at 1500+ kcals and had to cut back. I feel that I can handle the weight gain by using a deficit of circa -900 to -1200 kcals on off days. Yesterday I did a -1300 kcals (that is around 1500 kcals) and hunger issues began to disturb me. Eating a mixed diet (+100 grams of carbs) will have this effect. So I do not think I will go below -1300 kcals much. I might try something like 900 kcals to test my limits (ie., intake just above needs: +100 g protein; +100 g carbs; some g EFAs) once.

In the end i think I am satisfied with the progress. By adjusting the parameters of intake vs. expenditure I can do something about my high BF%, while still putting on some LBM. At least I hope so - P-ratio permitting.  
wink.gif

A final note: I hope my problems with my neck will go away so I can do all the thing I want in the gym. The upper trapz, levator scapulae and semispinalis cervicis are stiff and sore. I try to avoid static contractions (carrying weights). But, in fact, working out have a beneficial effect. For the rest of the day I feel better, then the stiffness returns when I wake up in the morning. Grr..  
mad.gif

I have been toying with the notion of reducing my calories on off days and maintaining my higher calorie intake on working days. That will come in the spring when I attempt a cut. I will still go over maintenance on working days but not the 1000 cals I use currently for my bulk testing of HST.

I have not been recording weight changes in my logs but have been surprised that I have only been gaining .5 pound per week using HST and cardio work. The same diet applied to the 5X5 with no cardio resulted in a 1 - 2 pound gain weekly.

<div>
(nkl @ Sep. 17 2008,11:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wildman, Perhaps the cardio is to blame?  
rock.gif
</div>
Yeah, I think you are right. A .5 gain is the minimum in my book so it is fine. Perhaps I get more work out of the HST total as well. In the 5X5 I would not do as many isolation movements either. I am pleased to just see weight going up.

2008-09-18:

Weight: 72,2 kg (158,8 lbs) (+0,6 kg [1,3 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,7 kg [5,9 lbs] from start, 29 days ago)

Routine: Recovery (today it feels like I need it...)

Target kcal: 1560 kcal (-1098 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)

Macros: 43% (143g) P; 31% (116g) C; 26% (42g) F (before subtracting TEM)

I just had to save this snippet for future reference (from Bodyrecomp forum) and to share with you guys:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Recently there's been some discussion on the forums about doing a PSMF type of diet with 3 workouts per week and carb loads centered around workouts. Blade has provided the following option: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There are individual differences, of course - but so far, clients report of strength gains even while dieting and doing depletion workouts in between the heavy days.

I have several options here:
1. Full-body 2-3x/weekly, 5x5 split, or an upper/lower split 3x/week, depletion work at the end of the workout. Don't like this option much, since depleting then carbing up afterwards is kind of a waste, but at least you burn more calories.
2. Same as above, but depletion workout the day after heavy work and carbs. The best option IME.

Example:
Monday: bench, squat, chins (or rows)
Tuesday: Full body depletion, SS cardio depends
Wednesday: front squat, DL, OHP, power cleans or rows (or chins)
Thursday: rest or full body depletion, SS cardio depends
Friday: bench or incline bench, squat, chins (or rows)
Saturday rest
Sunday rest or full body depletion or intervals

I prefer 2, but sometimes up to 3 depletion workouts per week. I don't go overboard on volume either, about 2-3 sets of 15-25 reps per muscle group.

I may also stagger carbs during the week, so e.g. 150g pre-/post-workout+up to 4-5hrs later on day 1, 300g on day 2, 500g on day 3

3. Upper/lower split, heavy upper + depletion lower and vice versa. Also not a preferred alternative since I recommend carbs after heavy work, but if you prioritize Upper body you may only do carbs 2 days/week on the heavy days.

Hope this has some semblance of coherence, haven't had my caffeine yet today  </div> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Depending on tolerance to low carbs, the baseline is about 50-100g per day. Carb loads start 1hr pre-workout and continue for up to 4-5hrs post-workout. About 2xBW sound about right, but I might have them stagger intake between 1-3xBW depending on depletion volume and what muscle groups/lifts are most important. Fats can be added to manipulate weekly total deficit, so it can be anywhere from strict PSMF to 100g of fats total on low-calorie days.  </div> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Like I said, although baseline carbs are 50-100g/day, fats can be varied to achieve a weekly surplus or deficit depending on goals. My outline of 3x/week workouts with added depletion work on low-calorie days is mainly for fat loss. For mass gains, this protocol would be a compromise that allows less fat gain (or even recomp) but you would expect less muscle gain compared to a steady influx of calories.
</div> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think both Lyle and I agreed (read: we're paranoid) that to minimize the risk of proteolysis, small amounts of proteins during this &quot;fast&quot; is a good idea - although that technically doesn't make it a fast anymore. However, I've played with some strict fasting for a few clients as well - both for convenience and for clients who are still in the upper bf% ranges (mobilize more FFA, which pretty much avoids protein losses).

I can manipulate calories from fats, carbs or both, depending on various factors (activity levels, volume, intensity, insulin sensitivity, response etc).
</div> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A full one day PSMF on the depletion/cardio/rest day (depends), then the next day PSMF until 1hr before the heavy workout. Refeed until midnight or so, then back to PSMF until the next day. It might not be a strict PSMF, however - deficit is adjusted according to results, so some clients may end up in a range of 50-70g of fats and 30-50g carbs, but inspired by Work's original threads it is usually 1-2 meals of 30g protein until about 3-5PM, then the carbs and fats in later meals.
</div>Work [Martin Berkhan] has provided the following: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">An example of how an IF recomp may be structured (random snippets from my IF guide, which is a work in progress):

Fasting period lasts 16 hrs. This means you initiate your first meal 16 hrs before eating the last meal on the night before (which is easily done by skipping breakfast and lunch). Thus, ideally all eating is done within an 8 +-1 hour timeframe. Most do well with 3 meals, but some may even prefer 2 or 4. In order to have a steady supply of amino acids in your blood during the fast, I suggest the last meal consists of whole foods and some slow digesting protein (cottage cheese for example).

non-WO days: only lean protein and veggies (max 100 g carbs). Stay in the 1200-1500 kcal range and include 60-90 min of low intensity cardio. Kcal intake on these days is set to approximately 50% maintenance for most males.

WO-days: have a moderate sized meal of 50-60/50-60 carb/pro (minimum fat) pre-WO (approx 450-550 kcal). PWO-meal is ideally a high carb, moderate protein and low fat refeed. Kcal target for this day should be around maintenance+25% with the absolute majority of kcals eaten PWO. General guidelines for this day is (at least) 1 g protein/bw and 2 g carbs/ bw, and then you may fill out with whatever macronutrient you want to a certain degree. Ideally, emphasis should be put on carbs while fat intake is kept low; these conditions are the most favourable in order to prevent fat storage and optimize glycogen storage.

For the recomp protocol to work effectively, you need to balance the surplus days with the deficit days. This means that an EOD workout routine is ideal for those wishing progressive lean gains accompanied by fat loss. 2-3x week WO routines delivers faster results for people with bodyfat loss as a main priority.  </div> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Will it destroy the concept of IF if you have a small amount of protein during the 16 hr fasting period? No, but it obviously is a dose-effect relationship.

The main reason for me not recommending eating during the fast is mainly due to adherance factors. Consuming protein will most likely not benefit in terms of muscle catabolism (since there is none in the first place). A big meal with a large amount of slow digesting protein just before bed, or a couple of hours prior to bedtime, will still be providing amino acids well past waking up and going about your daily activities.
</div>Some from Lyle also: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">eating wise, assuming an evening workout, here's what I'd do on the eat days

5 hours out, small meal of protein, carbs with some fruit
2 hours out, small meal of protein, carb swith some fruit
train: carb/protein drink during workout. think 30 g carbs and 8-10 g whey protein.
immediate post workout: dextrose/glucose + whey protein and creatine. then eat like a crazed weasel until 6pm the following evening.

the fruit is important, you need to get the liver back into an anabolic mode, taht means refilling liver glycogen.

cut off eating around 6 pm the following evening and fast until the next eating period. this should give you nearly 24 solid hours eating. a little short of protein synthesis rates but it's back to baseline at 36 hours and the last meal will carry you through the evening if you pick whole foods.

So schematically
day 1: fast until 5 hous before workout, eat, eat again, train, eat. let's say you train at 7pm, so you start eating at 2pm
day 2: eat all day until 6pm. back to fasting
day 3: repeat day 1 start eating at 2pm, that gives you 20 hours of fasting
day 4: repeat day 2
day 5: repeat day 1
day 6: repeat day 2
day 7: random thought: keep this a fasting day, maybe some cardio in the morning. would this keep fat gains at bay?</div>
</div>
EDIT: Added Lyle's scheme

Setting new goals (+2 kg lean mass at the end of 2 months from start - hopefully somewhat leaner too):
2008-09-18.jpg

I couldn't help myself...

Thanks for collating the BRF posts nkl. Lots more grist for the mill.
cool.gif

Lol, you're welcome!
smile.gif

Here is another update (not very exciting though):

2008-09-19:

Weight: 71,6 kg (157,5 lbs) (-0,6 kg [-1,3 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,1 kg [4,6 lbs] from start, 30 days ago)

Routine: Recovery (another day... I'm just to swamped with work)

Target kcal: 2098 kcal (-662 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)

Macros: 35% (158g) P; 28% (138g) C; 37% (82g) F (before subtracting TEM)
Prediction: Will eat dinner at a resturant = more fat

This might be stupid by I found it to be hilarious (shortened posts from BRF):
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Barbecue: Chuck Norris bit John Berardi's sister once.
Anthrax Invasio: Does that have the same kind've effect as Dracula biting his victims (i.e., is she now going to become a Texas Ranger or something)?
Barbecue: Probably. At the very least, she'll develop a skanky fungus-looking beard.</div>

2008-09-20:

Weight: 71,6 kg (157,5 lbs) (+0,0 kg [0,0 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,1 kg [4,6 lbs] from start, 31 days ago)

Routine: Recovery (what! another day off!?! yeah, and tomorrow too - schedule is too tight
sad.gif
)

Target kcal: 2168 kcal (-581 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Note: At least I had some potatoe chips and ice cream, and I've even got a chocolate muffin today! yum!

Macros: 25% (118g) P; 26% (134g) C; 49% (111g) F (before subtracting TEM)

2008-09-21:

Weight: 70,6 kg (155,3 lbs) (-1,0 kg [-2,2 lbs] from yesterday) (+1,1 kg [2,4 lbs] from start, 32 days ago)

Routine: Recovery (Can't do anything about that...)

Target kcal: 1740 kcal (-815 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)

Macros: 37% (137g) P; 32% (132g) C; 31% (57g) F (before subtracting TEM)

2008-09-22:

Weight: 71,0 kg (156,2 lbs) (+0,4 kg [0,9 lbs] from yesterday) (+1,5 kg [3,3 lbs] from start, 33 days ago)
Note: Odd... I gained half a kg during a cut - must be constipation or water retention...

Routine: HST 5s routine B (Rows, Bench, Squats, Press, Curls, Chrunches, Wrist extensions)

Target kcal: 3317 kcal (+410 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Note: After some consideration I go for less calories to limit stubborn fat gain

Macros: 37% (260g) P; 45% (357g) C; 18% (63g) F (before subtracting TEM)

Graph:
2008-09-22.jpg

Back to the fructose issue. To see what basis the claim that fructose is not a favorable carbohydrate I went on a search to find the roots. I found this great review. It is freely available. Besides a thourough explanation of fructose metabolism in the liver, there is very interesting ties to leptin and insulin uncovered in the review (and ties between insulin and leptin)! A recomended read indeed!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1: Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):911-22.
Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resistance syndrome.
Elliott SS, Keim NL, Stern JS, Teff K, Havel PJ.
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.

This review explores whether fructose consumption might be a contributing factor to the development of obesity and the accompanying metabolic abnormalities observed in the insulin resistance syndrome. The per capita disappearance data for fructose from the combined consumption of sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup have increased by 26%, from 64 g/d in 1970 to 81 g/d in 1997. Both plasma insulin and leptin act in the central nervous system in the long-term regulation of energy homeostasis. Because fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic beta cells, the consumption of foods and beverages containing fructose produces smaller postprandial insulin excursions than does consumption of glucose-containing carbohydrate. Because leptin production is regulated by insulin responses to meals, fructose consumption also reduces circulating leptin concentrations. The combined effects of lowered circulating leptin and insulin in individuals who consume diets that are high in dietary fructose could therefore increase the likelihood of weight gain and its associated metabolic sequelae. In addition, fructose, compared with glucose, is preferentially metabolized to lipid in the liver. Fructose consumption induces insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, hyperinsulinemia, hypertriacylglycerolemia, and hypertension in animal models. The data in humans are less clear. Although there are existing data on the metabolic and endocrine effects of dietary fructose that suggest that increased consumption of fructose may be detrimental in terms of body weight and adiposity and the metabolic indexes associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, much more research is needed to fully understand the metabolic effect of dietary fructose in humans.

PMID: 12399260 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]</div>
I have limited my consumption of dried fruit (30 g) and fruit juice (300 g) to post-WO after I've consumed my post-WO shakes (80 g simple CHO, 40 g PRO). I might have to rearrange the order of meals to minimize the risk of de novo lipogenesis (majority of the fructose before WO).

Another important issue that the review uncovered was that the timing and amount of carbs will invoke a rise in leptin levels during the night. A carb loading regimen will help keep leptin levels up.

What foods to avoid in excess (fructose content in paranthesis)?
Honey (40 g), dried apples (30 g), raisins (28 g) and syrup (22 g) have a very high fructose content per 100 g serving. Other dried fruit is high in fructose too (17-10 g). And then there are the fruit juices (below 8 g). Processed food often contain high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in the united states. For example ice cream, sweetened beverages (coke), and candy. In european countries HFCS is substituted by sucrose - which is nearly equally bad. Here is why:

EDIT: One important contributor is simple table sugar (sucrose) which is made up of one fructose molecule and one glucose molecule. Now I know why I've had a hard time to loose fat! I have used cocoa powder with sugar (82 g sucrose/100 g) in my milk and sweet chili sauce (48 g sucrose/100 g) to spice up my food (and used plenty!). Ouch! I have to remove them from my menu!

Links to another site that have food lists, for example products that have the most of sucrose or the most of fructose out of 1500+ products.

Double warning for syrup as it contains both fructose (22 g) and sucrose (28 g)!

2008-09-23:

Weight: 72,1 kg (158,6 lbs) (+1,1 kg [2,4 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,6 kg [5,7 lbs] from start, 34 days ago)

Routine: HST 5s routine A (Chins, Dips, Deadlift, Curls, Press, Chrunches, Wrist extensions)

Target kcal: 3441 kcal (+500 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)

Macros: 35% (258g) P; 48% (397g) C; 16% (60g) F (before subtracting TEM)

2008-09-24:

Weight: 72,2 kg (158,8 lbs) (+0,1 kg [0,2 lbs] from yesterday) (+2,7 kg [5,9 lbs] from start, 35 days ago)

Target kcal: 1965 kcal (-800 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)

Macros: 40% (168g) P; 27% (129g) C; 33% (68g) F (before subtracting TEM)

Back