No mor deadlift

Avi1985

I have decided to stop doing deadlift. Its not making any good to my lower back. On each training i do 4 compunds exercises and i dont know with what to replace the deadlift. Can someone recommend me on an exercsie who would replace the dedlift?

Squat.
Your back should be getting stronger from deads unless you're using all back to do the lift, or if there's actually something amiss in your back.

I already do squat on A training. But i need an exercise for B training. Squat is for the quadriceps and on B training i need something for the hamstrings. What is recommended?

It does sound like you may be rounding your back too much.

You want to stand straight up with the bar, keeping your back flat. It helps me to imagine I'm trying to push my heels through the floor.

Keeping your head up and looking straight ahead might help.

If you are looking down at the bar when you start the movement, it is very likely your back will be rounded.

YMMV

NOTHING can replace the dead lift!
wink.gif

<div>
(Bulldog @ Oct. 28 2007,20:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">NOTHING can replace the dead lift!  
wink.gif
</div>
Truer words were never spoke...
smile.gif

The deadlift is a fundamental lift that we perform every day of our lives. It's best to learn to do it properly. For the deadlift, the back serves to transmit force from the legs to the arms. It must be stabilized by inhaling and holding the breath to create internal abdominal pressure. The pelvis must be tilted forward. The buttocks must be pushed back. The head must be held back to promote a straight back. Caution, straight does not mean vertical. The lower back must especially be kept straight or slightly arched (concave) since that's where the greatest load is focused. The object we lift must be as close to the body as possible without interfering with the movement of the body. It takes practice but once we learn how to do it properly, we can lift very heavy objects with very little risk of injury.

The deadlift is a legs movement. We must push down with the legs to lift the object. Many still bend and flex the lower back to pick up and lift objects without flexing the legs or without doing any of the techniques mentioned in the previous paragraph. It is precisely for that reason that lifters hurt themselves even by lifting very light objects. It is not the weight of the object that makes the deadlift dangerous, it is the incorrect technique that makes the deadlift risky. With proper technique, the deadlift is just as safe if not safer than any other lift.

Learn to do the deadlift properly. The alternative is that you never learn to do it properly and hurt yourself the first time you must lift a heavy object. Or any object. If you must do other lifts, then learn to do them properly as well.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 28 2007,21:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The deadlift is a fundamental lift that we perform every day of our lives. It's best to learn to do it properly. For the deadlift, the back serves to transmit force from the legs to the arms. It must be stabilized by inhaling and holding the breath to create internal abdominal pressure. The pelvis must be tilted forward. The buttocks must be pushed back. The head must be held back to promote a straight back. Caution, straight does not mean vertical. The lower back must especially be kept straight or slightly arched (concave) since that's where the greatest load is focused. The object we lift must be as close to the body as possible without interfering with the movement of the body. It takes practice but once we learn how to do it properly, we can lift very heavy objects with very little risk of injury.

The deadlift is a legs movement. We must push down with the legs to lift the object. Many still bend and flex the lower back to pick up and lift objects without flexing the legs or without doing any of the techniques mentioned in the previous paragraph. It is precisely for that reason that lifters hurt themselves even by lifting very light objects. It is not the weight of the object that makes the deadlift dangerous, it is the incorrect technique that makes the deadlift risky. With proper technique, the deadlift is just as safe if not safer than any other lift.

Learn to do the deadlift properly. The alternative is that you never learn to do it properly and hurt yourself the first time you must lift a heavy object. Or any object. If you must do other lifts, then learn to do them properly as well.</div>
5 STARS

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Oct. 28 2007,21:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have decided to stop doing deadlift. Its not making any good to my lower back.</div>
Avi, you haven't said whether or not you have a condition that affects your lower back or a specific reason why deads are not good for it. Like the others, I feel that the deadlift is almost an essential lift for natural trainers. As you are able to do squats it would seem that your deadlifting technique is probably the problem.

If you can get hold of book like Starting Strength and study the section on deadlifting you should be able to figure out why your technique is causing you trouble and how to correct it.

Also, check out this article by Mark Rippetoe:
Analysis of Deadlift

There is a link to a pdf of the full article beneath the short excerpt.

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Oct. 29 2007,06:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thnx for all the comments. Ill give the deadlift another try.
What do you say about this video :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8-O_MT72rck
rock.gif
</div>
For the video clip. The lift is good. But it's bad when he lowers the bar slowly. Look at any competing athlete, none will lower the bar slowly, all will lower the bar as quickly and as safely as possible. Slow is not safe when lowering the bar especially for the deadlift where we just lifted a heavy weight.

When we lower the bar, we perform an eccentric movement. During the eccentric movement, we contract our muscles less than when we lift the bar. Bear in mind, we just expended some strength to lift the weight. After what we've learned about the job of the back, lessening the back muscles' contraction is a bad idea. It's like saying it's OK to round the back when lowering the weight. No it's not OK, it's never OK.

Look at the link about Analysis of the Deadlift that LOL posted. You will find three links to video clips of Andy Bolton and Benedikt Magnusson. Observe their technique. They must have perfect technique to lift such heavy weights. Otherwise they'd hurt themselves. Notice how quickly they lower the bar after the lift-OK signal.

But even if the lowering part is not good in the link you provided, it's still good for the lifting part.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 29 2007,09:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Could this be YOU???
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P0ySblouCKs

I'm beginning to like Martin. I think I'll bump up his &quot;rating&quot;. Good recovery from a rough start. Not that it will get you a free ice cream at Bruster's tho...
laugh.gif
</div>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

By the way, are you sure its ok to low the bar fast. Its not sounds safety. The people that lift heavy weights do it IMO because its easier for them to lift heavy weights that way. But i dont think its safe.

What Martin is trying to convey is that it is NOT exactly safe to re-stress the back and muscles that just did a max effort immediately after with a negative simply to not scare the other gym squirrels. I let the bar sort of &quot;pull&quot; me down, but in a controlled manner so as not for it to go through my flooring, but similar to the powerlifting Ass. recommendations. The idea is not to do another &quot;lift&quot; behind the concentric. Good way to get injured.
I've really got to get on that floor pad project.

It's also not as easy to re-pressurise your torso again to the same degree if you have exhaled at the top of the lift. That's another reason why you shouldn't try to lower the bar too slowly; it sounds daft but you may have 'reduced core tension'. Even if it seems fast, the bar's going to be moving a lot slower than if you just let it drop.

Do work on your technique during the higher rep phases of the lift and don't be in a hurry to add weight if you feel your technique is still not right. The danger is that you don't learn the new groove well enough and then fall back into your old habits once the loads get heavy again.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 29 2007,08:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Could this be YOU???
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P0ySblouCKs

I'm beginning to like Martin. I think I'll bump up his &quot;rating&quot;. Good recovery from a rough start. Not that it will get you a free ice cream at Bruster's tho...
laugh.gif
</div>
I've always had respect for Martin , his &quot;validation&quot; post some months back was very insightfull and I said so at the time . I have also had the occassional moment of frustration (which I'm sure was mutual) over some &quot;lifting ideology&quot; banters , whatever - it's no biggie... at this point in time , and IMHO , he is (other than being Canadian) a good guy (and good sport)with worthwhile things to add to the forum.
biggrin.gif

BTW- my current opinion is based mostly on his perseverance in spite of the &quot;rough start&quot; - he has a clean slate as far as I'm concerned.

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Oct. 29 2007,06:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thnx for all the comments. Ill give the deadlift another try.
What do you say about this video :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8-O_MT72rck
rock.gif
</div>
I think his starting position is incorrect.  His shoulders should be in front of the bar not directly above it.  He looks to be in a pretty good position when he sets up but then he rocks back and drops his butt then he starts pulling and then rocks forward again.  He should start his pull from his initial setup position and he would be a lot better off.

Now, I'm far from an expert in dead lifts, but I can tell a major difference in my strength in the lift if I setup to pull properly with my shoulders in front of the bar the way M.R. recommends.

Be sure to read the link to the article Lol posted.  It pretty much covers everything you need to know.  By the way there was also a thread here that discussed that article.  You can find it Here.  There is also a link that Quadancer posted to a Dan John video.  I would recommend watching that too when you have an hour to spare.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 29 2007,07:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Look at the link about Analysis of the Deadlift that LOL posted. You will find three links to video clips of Andy Bolton and Benedikt Magnusson. Observe their technique. They must have perfect technique to lift such heavy weights.</div>
Cant find the links of the videos

Back