No mor deadlift

Just thought I'd add (as people seem to be perhaps unaware of it) that you are watching lifters observing the RULES of the lift for that fed. ; oly lifters get to "drop" the bar , plers DO NOT , it must be lowered "under control" - no slamming or dropping. SO...it may bring balance to these PLer examples to understand that failure to lower the bar to the platform without maintaining control with both hands is cause for disqualification, MOST feds. require the lifter to return the bar to the platform w/o dropping it, of course "dropping" seems to mean different things to different judges.

Judging how they lower the bar ,can be educational - aslong as it is kept in mind that they are lowering it "just inside the rules" so as to get a good lift call in most cases - and as everything else in PLing , these rules are of course under the "interpretations" of the judges.

Not a major point , but one that should be kept in mind when examining competition clips.
smile.gif

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 28 2007,21:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The deadlift is a fundamental lift that we perform every day of our lives. It's best to learn to do it properly. For the deadlift, the back serves to transmit force from the legs to the arms. It must be stabilized by inhaling and holding the breath to create internal abdominal pressure. The pelvis must be tilted forward. The buttocks must be pushed back. The head must be held back to promote a straight back. Caution, straight does not mean vertical. The lower back must especially be kept straight or slightly arched (concave) since that's where the greatest load is focused. The object we lift must be as close to the body as possible without interfering with the movement of the body. It takes practice but once we learn how to do it properly, we can lift very heavy objects with very little risk of injury.</div>
I quote myself to put the text in the proper perspective and to consider everything that must be done to lift and lower the bar safely. Mark Rippetoe defined the starting position with these three requirements:

- Back straight
- Shoulder blades over the bar with arms fully extended
- Shins touching the bar

He defined these requirements because it's the safest, easiest and most efficient starting position. This means that any other starting position can be considered less safe. If it's the safest starting position, it must be equally safe when we lower the weight. So we should try to lower the weight to finish in the starting position. Right?

Let's see what must be done to lift the bar safely and see if we can do it when we lower the bar.

- The back serves to transmit force from the legs to the arms
- The back must be stabilized by inhaling and holding breath to create internal abdominal pressure
- The pelvis must be tilted forward
- The buttocks must be pushed back
- The head must be held back to promote a straight back
- The lower back must especially be kept straight since that's where the greatest load is focused
- The bar must be as close to the body without interfering with the movement of the body
- The deadlift is a legs movement, we must push down with the legs

Now add one more requirement to lower the bar slowly
- We must lift the bar first

Like Quadancer and LOL wrote, it's not easy to re-pressurize the abdomen to stabilize the back (actually it's to stabilize the entire torso) especially after having lifted the bar and while still holding it at the top. I think it's downright impossible to achieve the same internal pressure when we're holding 100kg+. I think it's very difficult if not impossible to do everything listed above when we lower the bar slowly. I think it's safer to lower the bar as quickly as we can.

Flexibility

It just occurred to me that maybe you have some difficulty making your back straight. Maybe it's a problem with flexibility in the hamstrings. The hamstrings pull down on the pelvis so it tilts backward. When we're flexible in the hamstrings, we can tilt the pelvis forward more easily. A simple test is to stand with your legs straight, bend at the hips and try to touch the floor with your hands without bending the knees. (from Mark Rippetoe) To stretch the hamstrings, squat down, put your fingertips under your toes, make your back as straight as you can, push your buttocks as high as you can, hold for 30 seconds. Do that 3 times a week for the rest of your life. He says it takes about 3 weeks to see a major improvement in flexibility.

My problem with deadlifts is my knees have been bent too much like a squat, and I have been trying to keep my back in the same position of the lift, which I am finding it is impossible. I read Rippletoe's article for the 2nd time and realized where I went wrong. The back can change angles during the lift as it must, but it must be pretty much straight during each and every position.

More good info on deadlift than you can shake a stick @ , and if you're interested in a tip from someone who deadlifts occassionally - ask on the board and with any luck Andy Bolton himself may chime in ( he posts here) or just search his posts - he tends to be a man of few (and questionably spelled ) words but the forum is full of top level , competitors who are always happy to help anyone interested in improving thier lifts
smile.gif

http://www.powerliftinguk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 29 2007,21:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744
It's not an hour...it's 50 minutes of MUST SEE! I even think I'll see it again for a refresher. Nothing out there like it.</div>
Thanks for the link, QD. I watched it last night and it is the most eye opening instructional video on squats and DLs that I've ever seen. I also discovered that I'm doing something wrong in the Romanian DL, because I'm not feeling it in the hamstrings like the guy in the video. But now I know how to correct it.

Ironically, I just read about hour glass squats and potato sack squats. It really helped to see them performed and see how important (and easy) they are to correcting your form.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 30 2007,07:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Andy Bolton posts on this forum?</div>
No colby , he posts on the forum which I provided a link to - as well as a slew of elites who are very down to earth and generous with thier time and advice. I must have worded it in a confusing way (sorry) .
smile.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Oct. 30 2007,09:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Watching Doug Young take the world PL heavy weight champ. in '77 with three broken ribs - and pulling 711 (IIRC) may help on the motivational plane.
biggrin.gif

&quot;I don't do tricks , I'm not a clown&quot; - D. Young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGkOubCjsU&amp;NR=1</div>
Wow, that's impressive and encouraging!

Besides, Doug Young may be the first power lifter I've seen who wasn't shaped like a pear...

&quot;Being pretty is important&quot; - D. Young

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 29 2007,19:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To stretch the hamstrings, squat down, put your fingertips under your toes, make your back as straight as you can, push your buttocks as high as you can, hold for 30 seconds. Do that 3 times a week for the rest of your life. He says it takes about 3 weeks to see a major improvement in flexibility.</div>
Thats a very good stretch. Would it be better if i do that every day?

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Nov. 03 2007,07:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 29 2007,19:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To stretch the hamstrings, squat down, put your fingertips under your toes, make your back as straight as you can, push your buttocks as high as you can, hold for 30 seconds. Do that 3 times a week for the rest of your life. He says it takes about 3 weeks to see a major improvement in flexibility.</div>
Thats a very good stretch. Would it be better if i do that every day?</div>
I think so, yes. I do it almost every day and I see no problem. Maybe another way to say it is to do it as often as we train the legs. So, if we train the legs 3 times a week, then stretch the hamstrings 3 times a week as well.

An orthopedic surgeon at our church once asked me if I wanted to feel young again. Of course, the answer is yes, we'd all like that.
He said to stretch everything every day.

That is a long routine; I doubt many would stay with it. I didn't.

I find that every time I stretch my legs I feel much more relaxed. Especially right before I go to sleep (when I remember to do it).

Back