Rihad's log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by HST_Rihad, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

What you are espousing is not 'HST'. You've removed half of the periodisation.

All you're doing is cutting the program short because you're afraid of heavy weights. Without chemical assistance, you aren't reaching your full genetic potential using your 10RM. The muscle you gain from your particular style of periodisation will be enough to prevent micro-damage after a certain point. You would have to increase your SD times to become responsive again, at which point you'll start to atrophy and 'treading water' is the outcome.

Assuming your 10RM does gradually increase (and apparently at a rate slow enough not to scare you), all you've really accomplished is a drastically slower version of HST.

5's and negatives have always been a part of HST.

It's a basic strength training routine that utilises a block periodisation model, adds in SD (vs a tradtional deload) and doesn't focus on the 'big 3' but rather on bb'ing coverage.

2. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

This is simply your opinion, which isn't Bryan's. Everyone has their own opinion, even a guardian at the kings's gate has one.

HST has nothing to do with periodization and has everything to do with gradual load progression starting with SD and minimum effective load. Where you stop and keep repeating the loads is left to be determined. Some people have chosen to stop at 8RM, mine will probably be 7-8RM after having successfully completed 10 reps in set one and increased the load further for the next w/o. Solely for maintaining enough volume for muscle growth and not dragging the workout by too much. Also, adding 25-30+kg body weight above height in cm minus 98-100 at contest lean level is *not* what gaining muscle should be about, whatever you may be thinking. It's much easier to eat than NOT to eat. What you're doing is low rep strength training and has nothing to do with HST, you just happen to keep your training log on the same board.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Re: periodisation comparison - "A rose by any other name". "Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck ... it's probably a duck". The purposes of the distinction in load and volume don't change the fundamental structure of the routine.

I definitely don't do anything resembling HST at the moment, other than progressive overload. Two cycles of it are pegged in for the start of next year, minus the 15s - cos 15s suck.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Also, check out Mike Tuscherer's work on RPEs. If Bryan came up w/HST today, I'm convinced he would include RPE's as a mediating method for the volume factor.

5. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

I'm convinced you haven't read Bryan's papers. He mentions "perceived effort" as part of CNS training, which has to do with strength.

6. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

Not at all! But, even with HST, the load does have to get higher over time if you are to sustain progress. I will be very interested to see if you can show this doesn't apply in your case.
    To my way of thinking, you can reach the degree of hypertrophy you are ever likely to achieve by taking one of several different currently available routes. However, I still think that the quickest way to make progress in the hypertrophy department will be through application of the principles outlined by Bryan for HST all those years ago. And optimisations will most likely be necessary, the more advanced a trainee becomes.

7. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

Mike T uses RPE's and fatigue stops primarily, I feel, because he is working with high intensity loads for much of his training. He's not really trying to get bigger any more; he's trying to maximise CNS recruitment patterns and lifting efficiency etc.

8. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Lol, logically speaking, once a muscle grows bigger as a result of having been put under a load it hasn't seen, so does the load required to trigger further growth. There's no way we can use the same load to make a (now) bigger muscle grow. This is the reason we can't grow our legs past a certain point by doing 50kg squats. I just don't expect the load required to sustain muscle growth to be MUCH above what used to be enough at some point in the past. Meaning, if pecs grew when we started doing bench presses using 40-ish kg on our first days of training, then why should we attempt a 120kg lift if our pecs don't look like they have grown to be 3 times bigger since then?

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've read them, and even applying the expression 'tip of the iceberg' would be too complimentary - that isn't a criticism of Bryan at all, I don't expect someone to be a master of literally everything. HST will works on a %-1RM with set-rep matrix paradigm ... and that's out of date.

10. Bulldog

Bulldog Active Member

You crack me up...

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

*will = still (works...)

12. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

This is pure speculation. Human physiology isn't about to become "out of date".

13. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Dips 65kg BW + 15kg x10

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Full ROM and no sunglasses! Nice work :)

HST_Rihad likes this.
  15. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

16. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

DSCF4168.jpg DSCF4169.jpg DSCF4170.jpg
    20150410-62kg-1.jpg 20150410-62kg-2.jpg 20150410-62kg-3.jpg

Still cutting... only this time I'm for real!:mad:

17. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not a lot left to cut ... ?

18. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

I don't really know, it's hard for me to predict anything when my abs are at ~20mm while arms, chest, thighs are at 4-6mm... I still need to lose a decent amount of fat from my ab/waist/midsection area, probably reaching 6% or something overall (as measured by J/P-7). There will be no more blood bulk after that :) Maintaining lean looks while progressing in your training is cool. How much I weigh is a function of how much I eat, so I will try to gradually increase the base food I eat daily by small bits while not sacrificing leanness at the same time. The idea is to increase the base BW occasionally by +0.5kg and wait until the extra food settles in, gets recomped as lean mass gains.

19. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

Do you want to compete in bodybuilding or are you just trying to stay as lean as possible?

20. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

The latter. While attempting to get more muscular (naturally), of course.