Superset

I almost always do supersets. It allows me to get more done in less time. Plus, I don't mind pumping up both chest back, bis tris, etc all at the same time. :D

Ok Bryan, but do you think it has benefits, except from saving time?

The primary concern that I have is can we take as heavy when doing them?

I think as long as you pair up opposite muscles, it works fine. I do it for almost everything.

Hello!  :)

If there's space here for my two cents, well, I'd say when you get really heavy or have to do a lot of exercises, I can't imagine not supersetting. It's almost normal procedure otherwise we might end up taking too long to finish our workout. Work your biceps for a set, then immediately the triceps, then biceps again if you have a second set, as well as the triceps. I don't just think that's theoretically great, I also actually do that, and it works just fine. I also do that for benchpressing and chins (chest and back). Saves me a lot of time and I don't see any negative effects. It also makes sure I finish the workout fast before my body produces huge amounts of the unholy cortisol  :D

Regards! :)
-JV

I understand that it saves time, but the thing is, why do the 2 sets one right after the other? Why not wait like 1 min between? What advantage does it have? It seems to me that taking 1 min or so would allow the person to have more focus, and also probably more strength, because some of the ATP might have been depleted during the first set.

And just out of curiosity, does anybody know what's the difference in terms of EPOC between doing supersets or not. My guess is that it must be relatively small.

My routines are usually low enough in volume that I don't need to superset to finish them in 20 to 30 minutes. However, when I do perform multiple exercises for the same muscle group, I sometimes employ giant sets.

I superset just about everything except Deads and Squats when I get into the heavier weights. I need the time between to recover and because body position is so important I don't want to tire myself too much by doing a set of something else inbetween. Sometimes I will take a minute or so between movements as well when the weight gets heavier but during the 15's and 10's I can usually go straight into the next movement with very little rest.

Mike

Heavy Duty Dude,

I usually don't superset because until I return to school, I must use my home gym which is basically a bench and a squat rack. Supersetting makes no logistical sense for me under this scenario as I prefer to use my barbell for most exercises, therefore I'd have to strip the weight back and forth, wasting a certain amount of time and more importantly, annoying me greatly.

So, I basically only take a 20-30 second rest between sets. Even during the near-failure and/or failure stages of a micro cycle, I find 30 seconds to be a sufficient rest period. I do supplement with creatine so I'm sure this helps in allowing me to keep my rest periods short.

Supersets are definitely a great idea if you're cutting though as your body will be constantly worked. If you're bulking and don't like supersetting, you could just try taking short rest intervals--you'll find it quite efficient.

Supersetting antagonistic muscles is beneficial in the fact that these muscles by the very nature of things are meant to work together. When one is action the other is always in action too. When you do a bicep curl you are automatically using and stretching the tricep, ie the antagonist / stabilizer muscle. Add the stretch from the pump to the stretch from the antagonist movement and you are in effect stretching the muscle fibers which assists with growth. I have read that there are some benefits to the CNS as well. Hope this is more what you were asking for.
Later,
IamBBB

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ July 25 2005,2:14)]I understand that it saves time, but the thing is, why do the 2 sets one right after the other? Why not wait like 1 min between? What advantage does it have? It seems to me that taking 1 min or so would allow the person to have more focus, and also probably more strength, because some of the ATP might have been depleted during the first set.
And just out of curiosity, does anybody know what's the difference in terms of EPOC between doing supersets or not. My guess is that it must be relatively small.
ATP is stored in your cells not to somekind of pool where you deplete it. As you body turns ATP to ADP the reaction takes place in the spesific muscle hence you can stress the antagonist right after the agonist or other way round. Of course doing huge sets right after the another is more straining as with any activity you do longer time span ;)

If you do another set before you recover your ATP you stay in the anaerobic lactic energy mode. This probably produces more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Also, the first set is likely to pre-fatigue the type 2b fibers. Which means that you can't recruit them during the following sets.

I was on a powerlifting forum once and the guys said that it doesn't make much sense to decrease rest between sets, because of that. You WANT to recruit the 2bs. If they have fatigued you can't recruit them.

ive read a few things claiming that working antagonistic muscle may hinder muscle activation.
for example: leg extension and leg curls.
if you do a set of leg curls you have used energy in the hamstring, then you do a set of leg extensions and the quad has to work harder in order to make up for the fact that the hamstring no longer has all of the energy it once did to 'cushion' the quad to help do its work, thus reducing the total amount of work the quad would be able to do. and reducing the effectiveness of that set.
you can search for the studies if you want. i would be interested in rereading them myself.

Interesting. The antagonist muscle must have a stabilizing role I suppose. Personaly I have the impression that I'm weaker when I superset.. not sure if it's an impression or what.

Heavy duty dude!

Whilst it saves time and works well, it is a matter of personal choice!

That is my take, I also like them by the way!

thumbs-up.gif

Back