Tabata

Rip

Perhaps I am just thick skulled but I am still a little out in the dark about Tabata...

My understanding of it is do as much as you can do of any given exercise in 20 seconds..take a 10 second break then rinse and repeat.. Do that for 4 minutes..

IF I am understanding that correctly I cant see the big difference between that and HIIT.

If someone would post a tabata routine that they use themselves.
And during the exercise are you balls to the walls or do you just do a steady moderately fast workout..

thanks!

Don't let the technicalities baffle you!

It is that simple.

Dr. Tabata simply proved that this routine (4 minutes) if done properly - I think that means about 90% of intensity or something like it, burns fat 9 fold better than other aerobic routines.

Albeit not there and then but after it is done, so it kinda switches afat burning button.

If I can remember correctly I posted the article with the research on it! Just do a search!

As far as the routine, pick whatever you like! Bike, punching bag, squats, etc.

I do modified Tabata with 8 different exercises, its good, I find doing 8 sets of squats is just too hard. I prefer to do it in a way with more variety and muscle groups worked, although I cant help but feel Im cheating.
biggrin.gif

I do tabata on leg press...it kicks @ss.

Squats will make you puke!

I keep it at 4 mins thought

Hey Fausto are you suppose to up past 4 mins...or does just the 4 mins give you 9 folds better fat loss....I am hoping just 4 mins.

Guys

4 minutes accroding to Dr. Tabata.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;[Six to 8 very hard 20 second intervals with 10 second rest periods] may be one of the best possible training protocols....&quot; ..Izumi Tabata, Ph.D., National Institute of Health &amp; Nutrition, Tokyo, Japan</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tabata squats sounds killer... any strength gains when doing that Fausto?</div>

Colby, I am crazy but not that crazy, I did punching bag and stationary bike - good enough for me, he...he...he
laugh.gif

Thanks Fausto. Good stuff. I am going to incorporate a couple tabata sessions into my next HST cycle. Thinking I might progress the intensity and/or reps over the course of the HST cycle. Maybe do one rep the first week, two the second, etc., building up to the prescribed 8 reps. Might even set the intensity at a moderate level and increase the intensity from HST cycle to hst cycle. Something like that. I really only do walking for my cardio now so doing something like this can't hurt.
smile.gif

Keystone

Fausto,
for some reason I can't open your links......tried to locate it with search and could not find them...... hey pal, where are they ??
rock.gif

the theory on tabata seems pretty good, and I've been reading quite a bit on it, but guess I'm being Doubting Thomas here but I can't find any B4 and After Pics anywhere
rock.gif

4 mins in the gym 2-3 times a week at a squat rack just seems too good compared to having to lace up the running shoes and hit the concrete for a 30 - 40 mins 3 times a week
sad.gif
(from purely a cutting perspective)

<div>
(Rakki @ Apr. 23 2006,06:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the theory on tabata seems pretty good, and I've been reading quite a bit on it, but guess I'm being Doubting Thomas here but I can't find any B4 and After Pics anywhere
rock.gif

4 mins in the gym 2-3 times a week at a squat rack just seems too good compared to having to lace up the running shoes and hit the concrete for a 30 - 40 mins 3 times a week
sad.gif
(from purely a cutting perspective)</div>
Give it a go - the half hour or so afterwards where you wish you were dead will tell you a lot.

The first Tabata routine I tried was squats. Using almost no weight, I found I could do 12 to 13 squats in 20 seconds. Which, times 8 sets, is 100 squats. In 4 minutes. That's pretty intense, I thought, and so did my legs.

Now I use a rowing machine and set the display to the Calories per hour. Every session I can see that my maximum calorie output has improved a bit.

The thing to remember with Tabata is that it's not about nice, maintainable, gentle aerobic exercise - it's about total, all out, giving it everything you've got for 20 seconds. And then doing it again seven times.

Chris.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Apr. 23 2006,06:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tabata is more about increase max VO2.</div>
Exactly.  Any study I have read about says it does a good job of increasing VO2 max.  Does that necessarily translate into fat loss?

Hi Guys

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The thing to remember with Tabata is that it's not about nice, maintainable, gentle aerobic exercise - it's about total, all out, giving it everything you've got for 20 seconds. And then doing it again seven times.</div>

Chris is right here guys, that ius why it is so effective...however as Keystone puts it.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thinking I might progress the intensity and/or reps over the course of the HST cycle.</div>

One must be careful with one's level of heart and VO2Max fitness levels, apparently the guys who did the reasearch for Tabata where University olimpic level athletes and they were on the floor gasping for air.

To advise you Keystone, I do this at my own pace (and I'm not too much of a fan of HIIT), I get my heart rate to +\- 156 bpm or so, and that is enough for me, I did not get ripped yet, but i have not done so consecutively either, however it has stopped my from getting any fatter!
laugh.gif

I think in the article there was an important point made
about tabata. If your cv fitness is really good and you really want to improve it then sure go absolutely all out 8 times and by the end of it you can lie on the ground exhausted. If your someone who is interested in cutting some fat/ improving there cv fitness/ doing something new then your tabata should progress, just like everything else. If you start something as hard as all out tabata in at the deep end then you might be sick/ not enjoy it. I really believe that at the end of your first tabata session you should be panting but standing, you'll enjoy it and that will set you up to do it more frequently. You can increase the intensity with time. Your exercise regime should be at a level that you enjoy and can consistently do.

Back