Tabata

Would this program stress your CNS?
rock.gif

Style

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I really believe that at the end of your first tabata session you should be panting but standing, you'll enjoy it and that will set you up to do it more frequently. You can increase the intensity with time. Your exercise regime should be at a level that you enjoy and can consistently do. </div>

WISE WORDS, CONGRATS!
wink.gif

Newbies - please pay attention to this, as to any exercise program you attempt to start, consult your physician first, ensure that your fitness level is good enougfh to attempt these things!

Bishop

It has not influenced mine as I have used on rest days!

Someone more informed like Bryan/Dan/Blade could comment on this more thouroughly.
smile.gif

I have at times used it before training and it did not seriously impact on the program, but it was not constant and therefore it'd be unwise to use it as fact!
laugh.gif

Good question, I imagine if you use squats for tabata, go to failure multiple times in the session and then do your squats the next day it will. But could you reduce the CNS fatigue by doing different exercises?

im very interested in incorporating tabata into my current cutting cycle, but i am a bit confused...

i understand how one could use it for running (similar to HIIT), but lets say i incorporated tabata into my leg presses. I would do 20 secs of as many reps as I can (in a controlled fashion), but what weight to use? do you go to failure?

JWbond

Rather use a rowing machine or a stat byke, but if you wanna use leg press use a very light weight, a 30 RM or something like it or else you will seriously affect your conditioning!

By that i mean the CNS yes! I have seen something in the T-mag page called Tabata this!

But I seriously think that is going overboard.
rock.gif

The idea of tabata, as with everything we do arund this board, is to have something smart that works in the minimum amount of time, and yes there are a variety of ways of doing it.

But seriously, some guys go a little overboard IMO, I am not saying you do, but rather be careful, use it wisely and save the HST gains you are getting, don't waste them for the sake of the miracle fat loss, it does not exist!

i dont have a stat bike and i think my current routine is hard enough on most of my body.

i am thinking i will do some tabata on my real bike. how often is everyone doing this a week?

Do it once a week at most.

And you can do it with leg presses. I do and its fun I use a weight I can get 25 or 35 reps with and I am controlled yet explosive.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Apr. 24 2006,16:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do it once a week at most.

And you can do it with leg presses. I do and its fun I use a weight I can get 25 or 35 reps with and I am controlled yet explosive.</div>
and this is all the cardio that is needed in a week?

You can do it as often as you like. In the study the did it 5x weekly. Keep it at a level that you still want to do it though.
biggrin.gif

Saying goes in the Clarence Bass site, and I think he speaks no B.S. that twice p/week is enough if you are doing weights on the other three days!

twice a wk is enough do some slow steady stuff on the other days..remember the muscles on the inside as well..heart,lunges..they all help us to train more efficeintly so they all need training
biggrin.gif

I am going to do it two times a week on my next HST cycle.

I am definitely going to progress my tabata training to pace myself. I am not an olympic caliber athlete and not in the best cardio shape so I will not go balls to the wall at first. Plus, the first couple of times I did do an 8 rep version of tabata to test it out it banged on my body pretty good and I was sucking major air.
smile.gif

I am looking forward to adding to my cycle though.

Keystone

<div>
(Keystone @ Apr. 25 2006,14:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am going to do it two times a week on my next HST cycle.  

I am definitely going to progress my tabata training to pace myself.  I am not an olympic caliber athlete and not in the best cardio shape so I will not go balls to the wall at first.  Plus, the first couple of times I did do an 8 rep version of tabata to test it out it banged on my body pretty good and I was sucking major air.
smile.gif

I am looking forward to adding to my cycle though.

Keystone</div>
nothing wrong with sucking on air mate..20secs all out remember your all out maybe diferent than an olympic athletes all out..but the idea is to push yourself

The one time I did 8 reps on the treadmill wasn't too much of a problem. I didn't go all out but did enough to where I was cramping after 7 sets.

Another time I did it by running up this huge hill. The hill is a challenge just to walk up.
smile.gif
After 3-4 reps I was done and sucking air big time. I was really hurting after that one and thought maybe that was too much to start with.

So that's where I figured I would take it slow and progress it through my HST cycle. That might not be optimal but I am thinking it's prudent at this point and should minimized the effects on my HST cycle. Another reason I am doing 2 times a week. Figure I will do 1 rep the first week, 2 reps the second, etc. My final week of my cycle would be the full 8 reps. Something like that.

Keystone

I Googled Tabata and found an article that suggested doing it only twice a month!

Personally, I think I'll try it after my HST cycle, but before my SD, and I'm going to try a body weight only exercise like squat thrusts, maybe just BW squats. I don't want to hurt myself!

Ooh, just had a thought... how do you suppose Tabata pull ups would feel?
rock.gif

Back