TG´s HST ***Give it Hell*** LOG

I don't mean "spur up", I mean man up, balls up, find your fortitude or whatever else you want to call it.

Again, you're confusing the effects felt in an intra-workout context with actual fatigue. You are not getting fatigue from 2 weeks of exercise and you are not generating fatigue in the middle of a workout.

You shouldn't need a 3min rest to do two sets of 15RM. 2min should be plenty for non squat/deadlift exercises.

It's also not accurate to describe 2x15RM, 1 min rest between them as your 25RM. 60 seconds is a long time. Take 90, or 120. You shouldn't need 180seconds and the difference in performance across a 2min and 3min rest period for 15's and 15RM will be minimal.

thanks alex. on friday is my last session of 15´s. Then the 10´s will start and i am sure that especially in the beginning weeks I can shorten the rest periods.

Regarding sets. You mean if it gets heavy i could cluster or rest pause (not to failure you know what i mean) the second set.
Would you in my cases advice to cluster or to drop the second set?

I'm not sure why we're discussing clustering or dropping sets. Just do things as normal. You're a month away from anything near heavy.

I meant the last heavy session(s) of each cycle in general. Or having a bad day.

When i notice I won´t get the second set. Should I cluster it nevertheless or drop it and leave it?

I meant the last heavy session(s) of each cycle in general. Or having a bad day.

When i notice I won´t get the second set. Should I cluster it nevertheless or drop it and leave it?

It's really very simple:

If you wanted 3 x 5 x 100kg and you got 5 x 100 for your first set but only 4 x 100 for your second set, then obviously you aren't going to be getting more than 4 reps for your third set (without an extended rest). So, do triples with good form until you have your total of 15 reps, i.e. you would do 5,4,3,3.

If you're having a bad day (lack of sleep, no food etc.) then you may not even manage 5 reps on your first set. In that case, just do lower-rep sets to get your required total. That way you will still get the same TUT without pushing your CNS quite so hard.

It actually won't matter much, if at all, if you drop volume off on a 'bad day' as long as your bad days are infrequent. Like Alex said, one workout is not going to make or break a whole cycle.

It's really very simple:

If you wanted 3 x 5 x 100kg and you got 5 x 100 for your first set but only 4 x 100 for your second set, then obviously you aren't going to be getting more than 4 reps for your third set (without an extended rest). So, do triples with good form until you have your total of 15 reps, i.e. you would do 5,4,3,3.

If you're having a bad day (lack of sleep, no food etc.) then you may not even manage 5 reps on your first set. In that case, just do lower-rep sets to get your required total. That way you will still get the same TUT without pushing your CNS quite so hard.

It actually won't matter much, if at all, if you drop volume off on a 'bad day' as long as your bad days are infrequent. Like Alex said, one workout is not going to make or break a whole cycle.

Thanks LOL I understand.

Do you think that a bit "strain" is absolutetly not needed?
I mean if somebody start the 10´s cycle with two sets of 10-this would equal 20 reps.
He could also take it easy and do the whole 10´s cycle with 5x4. The volume and load is the same and he will have easy workouts along the way.

Would there really be no difference?

Thanks LOL I understand.

Do you think that a bit "strain" is absolutetly not needed?
I mean if somebody start the 10´s cycle with two sets of 10-this would equal 20 reps.
He could also take it easy and do the whole 10´s cycle with 5x4. The volume and load is the same and he will have easy workouts along the way.

Would there really be no difference?

There would not be a difference in total TUT but there would be a difference as far as muscle fibre recruitment is concerned. In higher-rep sets, recruitment will increase as fatigue increases. This is what you want.

For loads >= 5RM this is not an issue as all motor units will be firing from rep 1.

You want to stick to the vanilla HST plan as far as possible cos it works. :)

True-i forgot about the recruitment stuff.
Perhaps the best way-I think blade mentioned it)-is to stop the set if the reps slow down.

So you get fiber recruitment but avoid bunrout. This could be applied to all rep ranges (even if its not necessary for the 5´s but it won´t hurt either).

´6th session of 15´s

Bench: 65x15/7/8
Cable Row: 55x15/10/5
Dumbbell shoulder Press: 22.5x15/6/3/6
Pulldown: 57.5x15/7/4/4
Cable Curl: 40x15
Pushdown: 60x15/7/5/3
Leg Press feet high: 70x15/10/5
Leg Curl: 17.5x15/15
Hyperxtension:+5kgx12
Hanging Leg raise:5/4

Comments:

- I wanted to take ALEX advice by heart and tried to go faster. Although I needed 1 hour and 10 minutes (including warm up) I was 20 minutes faster than usual.

- I tried to get all total reps in and tried different rest periods for getting all in. Thats why the after the first 15´s set the rep counts are sometines different.

- I stopped the following sets after the first set of 15 when the rep speed slowed down. That worked quite all. Although in some exercises I had the impression when rep speed slowed down that I was quite near failure already.

- In the 10´s cycle -when I appraoch maxima or have a bad day I will also terminate the FIRST set when rep speed slows down. It just make no sense to go to failure-even if its the last session. You just weaken in the following sets.

- I know its day dependent, but I didn´t got stronger though. That was a bit disappointing. I hope that the weeks of 10´s and especially the 5´s will get me some myofibrill hypertrophy and though strength gains in the worked rep range.

-After my first HST cycle I really need to diet down. I am at 23%BF and belly of 102cm. But I stick to my meals-otherwise I won´t see if the programm works.

All in all I was anxious about todays session but it was the best of the 15´s cycle in my opinion. I felt not tired, was faster and got a nice pump.

Time to eat my scrambled eggs!

Last edited:
MERYY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

1. Session of 10s

Bench: 55x10/10
Cable Row: 50x10/10
Dumbbell shoulder Press: 20x10/10
Pulldown: 52.5x10/10
Cable Curl: 37.5x10/10
Pushdown: 55x10/10
Leg Press feet high: 65x10/10
Leg Curl: 20x10/10
Hyperxtension:+6kgx12
----------------------------

Comments:

-I was over in 55 minutes including core work. Thats good.
-I felt like crap the whole rest of the day. Had no appetite and and although beeing tired as hell needed about an hour to fall asleep:
I just really don´t know why on so many days I feel like crap after my training. Perhaps my work capacity is so bad. Or the leg training at the end is a bit too much. Remember i didn´t trained legs for years.
-Just for trying I will ditch leg work next session and look how I feel.

Last edited:
Firstly are you eating enough?

Secondly I would'nt drop any bodypart from the routine but I would drop volume down to 1 set per exercise
and see how you feel as recommended by Bryan.

Just to tag along with what dempsey said, if you aren't getting steadily fatter, you aren't eating enough. Don't worry if you think you are becoming a fat cow over the course of the cycle, you can always cut the fat later. Undereating is the leading cause of overtraining.

I have good results when I pile on the carbs pre-workout, something like a huge bowl of cereal before lifting. Then post-workout, I eat enough protein to fatten up a water buffalo!;) It seems to help with recovery.

Thank you guys.
I did some low intensity cardio today and feel quite good at the moment.

I will bump up the kcals even more. I am 94.7kg on 23%BF currently
Tomorrow I will do the next session.

thank you for the participation!

2nd session of 10ths

Bench: 60x10/10
Cable Row: 55x10/10
Dumbbell shoulder Press: 22.5x10/10
Pulldown: 57.5x10/10
Cable Curl: 40x10/10
Pushdown: 60x10/10
Leg Press feet high: 70x10/10
Leg Curl: 22.5x10/10
Hyperxtension:+7kgx12
----------------------------------------

Comments
-60 minutes. Warm up was not needed today.
-I did legs-didn´t wanted to drop it. Had a bigger breakfast.
-Nevertheless I am sore overall. My condition must be so bad. Good i quit smoking in 3 days. But I feel better than last time.

Time for Barbecue

Well i do low intensity cardio of one hour once the week. Not much but it helps a bit for conditioning and regeneration.

Don't do cardio while bulking. It is counterproductive. Obviously it's not doing much for your conditioning if HST is wearing you out, and in fact it would be causing you more fatigue than if you just ditched it.

A sub-10 min cardio session would be a much better idea. Give your heart a proper workout and be done with it. A hard 7-8 minute row on a C2 rower is all the cardio I ever want (although I might occasionally stretch it to a 5k in 20 mins). Try doing hill sprints for 10 mins then eat your face off and rest up. :)

I don't think this will interfere with bulking up once you are conditioned to it. Just make sure you eat some extra cals to compensate for the ones you use up.

Back