The Road to 10%

mebbe when you get to deads, the DB loads won't necessarily be lighter?

I've never done heavy deads w/ a set of DB's...

I'd really like to see some footage of OH Squats w/ DB's. For some reason, I can picture arms moving around & trying to stabilize while trying to do that "awkward squat motion", w/ the DB's overhead...I don't know why, but it seems like that might be humorous.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Sep. 24 2007,18:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Question: Exercises using DB's instead of a barbell have to be a lighter load given all other conditions are the same. Is this due to the activation of stabilizer muscles?</div>
Yup, at least such has been my experience. You'll find bench and OH presses more difficult with DB's.

DB deads are not more difficult, as you don't have to struggle to hold the weights up (though I find that it is harder to grip heavy dumbbells than heavy barbells).

OH squats with DB's would be pretty funny to watch.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(liegelord @ Sep. 24 2007,23:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OH squats with DB's would be pretty funny to watch.
biggrin.gif
</div>
I think I held myself to pretty good form today. I may have my fiance record a short video of me doing them next week just so you guys can laugh at me.

SST WO
OH Squats: 25 - 5 (2 sets)
Clean Jumps: 50 - 5 (2 sets)
Chair Dips: 5 reps (MS)
Farmer's Walk: 25's - 100 steps (2 sets)

<div>
(colby2152 @ Sep. 25 2007,18:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I may have my fiance record a short video of me doing them next week just so you guys can laugh at me.</div>
you're the man!

&lt;nice selection w/ the clean jumps btw, good exercise&gt;

I missed the past two days, but I'll make up for it today and tomorrow. I'll rest on Sunday, and do another light week of high reps before my true HST cycle begins.

HST WO
One-Armed Rows: 25 lbs - 20 reps (2 sets)
Bench Press: 50 - 25, 50 - 20
Reverse Curl Cuban Press: 10 - 20 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 30 - 20 (2 sets)
*all exercises are done w/DB's

<div>
(fearfactory @ Sep. 26 2007,15:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Sep. 25 2007,18:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I may have my fiance record a short video of me doing them next week just so you guys can laugh at me.</div>
you're the man!

&lt;nice selection w/ the clean jumps btw, good exercise&gt;</div>
Thank you -- they seem like a lot of fun.

September 29th, 2007 - Light Weights

SST WO
Clean Jumps: 50 - 5 (4 sets)
OH Squats: 25 - 5 (3 sets)
Chair Dips: 7 reps (2 MS sets)

Colby,

I really think you need to add some serious cardio to your routine.  If you want to hit 10% it will help tremendously to add at least 3-4 days of 45 minutes in your target HR zone.  Also, I think it's a very bad idea not to focus on protein intake!  Numerous studies show that increased protein can spare muscle during a cut...this should be your MAIN focus IMHO.  Eat a lot of protein and healthy fats (olive oil, flax, nuts, avocado, fish oil, etc.) and cut out the carbs.  There is no doubt in my mind that after looking at your pics from the past to today, you have put on some serious fat.  Honestly, your BF looks more in the range of 15-17%.  I'm not saying this to be mean, but to help get you motivated and let you know what it looks like.  Also, add some exercises to your routine.  Stay in the gym for an hour and pump some iron...these skimpy routines MIGHT be OK to maintain or maybe add a little muscle mass, but its not going to get your metabolism revving up and burning calories like you want.  Don't leave the gym unless you are pouring sweat IMO.  Good luck.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I really think you need to add some serious cardio to your routine. If you want to hit 10% it will help tremendously to add at least 3-4 days of 45 minutes in your target HR zone.</div>

Unlisted is the 4-5x/week that I run football routes catching and passing as well as the 1-2x/week that I cut the grass.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, I think it's a very bad idea not to focus on protein intake! Numerous studies show that increased protein can spare muscle during a cut...this should be your MAIN focus IMHO.</div>

Oh, I know which is why I ramped up my intake in the past two weeks. I'm not getting the 1g/1lb of BW, but I am getting at least 150g/day.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Honestly, your BF looks more in the range of 15-17%. I'm not saying this to be mean, but to help get you motivated and let you know what it looks like</div>

Yeah, bf% can be deceiving between 12 and 20 percent. My recordings have been stalling around 13.3, but I know I have been shedding some fat, so your take on my bf% is probably right. I may recalibrate my numbers to 15% and record from there. My cycle just started, so I have no problem messing with the numbers.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Also, add some exercises to your routine. Stay in the gym for an hour and pump some iron...these skimpy routines MIGHT be OK to maintain or maybe add a little muscle mass, but its not going to get your metabolism revving up and burning calories like you want.</div>

I run before I lift. I also lift at home with DB's only. I don't have the time to add more exercises.

Thanks for the tips though!

10/2/07

HST WO
One-Armed Rows: 30 lbs - 20 reps (2 sets)
Bench Press: 50 - 20 (2 sets)
Push Press: 35 - 20 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 35 - 20 (2 sets)

10/3/07

SST WO
Clean Jumps: 50 - 10 (3 sets)
Deadlift: 50 - 20 (3 sets)
Chair Dips: 8 reps (MS), 6 reps (MS)

Comments
The clean jumps must have worked well because my traps have been burning tonight. Solid high rep WO with the deads. WO lasted 25 minutes because I was short on time, but it was quality nevertheless.

10/4/07

HST WO
One-Armed Rows: 30 lbs - 15 reps (2 sets)
Bench Press: 50 - 15 (3 sets)
Reverse Curl Cuban Press: 20 - 15 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 35 - 15 (2 sets)

Comments
Another quick and effective WO

<div>
(soflsun @ Sep. 30 2007,04:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby,

I really think you need to add some serious cardio to your routine.  If you want to hit 10% it will help tremendously to add at least 3-4 days of 45 minutes in your target HR zone.  Also, I think it's a very bad idea not to focus on protein intake!  Numerous studies show that increased protein can spare muscle during a cut...this should be your MAIN focus IMHO.  Eat a lot of protein and healthy fats (olive oil, flax, nuts, avocado, fish oil, etc.) and cut out the carbs.  There is no doubt in my mind that after looking at your pics from the past to today, you have put on some serious fat.  Honestly, your BF looks more in the range of 15-17%.  I'm not saying this to be mean, but to help get you motivated and let you know what it looks like.  Also, add some exercises to your routine.  Stay in the gym for an hour and pump some iron...these skimpy routines MIGHT be OK to maintain or maybe add a little muscle mass, but its not going to get your metabolism revving up and burning calories like you want.  Don't leave the gym unless you are pouring sweat IMO.  Good luck.</div>
Bro, great advice on the bolded stuff. Shouldn't he be emphasizing high-reps to get really cut?I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 20-25 reps per multiple sets, short rest periods to get the GH release....and maybe a stack of ferulic acid and gamma oryzanol and a sprinkle of wheat germ oil to generate the ultimate anabolism.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bro, great advice on the bolded stuff. Shouldn't he be emphasizing high-reps to get really cut?I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 20-25 reps per multiple sets, short rest periods to get the GH release....and maybe a stack of ferulic acid and gamma oryzanol and a sprinkle of wheat germ oil to generate the ultimate anabolism.</div>

As mentioned, I have already taken care of those specific ideas. As far as high reps are concerned, that's a long-standing debate (high reps/small load or low reps/big load) for a cut. I don't have money to afford whatever you listed in the last line. For supplements, I will stick with protein powder and pharma-grade fish oil.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Oct. 05 2007,16:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(soflsun @ Sep. 30 2007,04:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby,

I really think you need to add some serious cardio to your routine.  If you want to hit 10% it will help tremendously to add at least 3-4 days of 45 minutes in your target HR zone.  Also, I think it's a very bad idea not to focus on protein intake!  Numerous studies show that increased protein can spare muscle during a cut...this should be your MAIN focus IMHO.  Eat a lot of protein and healthy fats (olive oil, flax, nuts, avocado, fish oil, etc.) and cut out the carbs.  There is no doubt in my mind that after looking at your pics from the past to today, you have put on some serious fat.  Honestly, your BF looks more in the range of 15-17%.  I'm not saying this to be mean, but to help get you motivated and let you know what it looks like.  Also, add some exercises to your routine.  Stay in the gym for an hour and pump some iron...these skimpy routines MIGHT be OK to maintain or maybe add a little muscle mass, but its not going to get your metabolism revving up and burning calories like you want.  Don't leave the gym unless you are pouring sweat IMO.  Good luck.</div>
Bro, great advice on the bolded stuff. Shouldn't he be emphasizing high-reps to get really cut?I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 20-25 reps per multiple sets, short rest periods to get the GH release....and maybe a stack of ferulic acid and gamma oryzanol and a sprinkle of wheat germ oil to generate the ultimate anabolism.</div>
MDE, what a perspicacious and discerning fellow you are. You have an ascerbic wit too.  
laugh.gif
I think the real giveaway is that you began your reply with &quot;Bro&quot;  
tounge.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 05 2007,20:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Oct. 05 2007,16:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

Bro, great advice on the bolded stuff. Shouldn't he be emphasizing high-reps to get really cut?I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 20-25 reps per multiple sets, short rest periods to get the GH release....and maybe a stack of ferulic acid and gamma oryzanol and a sprinkle of wheat germ oil to generate the ultimate anabolism.</div>
MDE, what a perspicacious and discerning fellow you are. You have an ascerbic wit too.  
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
</div>
What, aren't we all brothers in this game of iron?Do our tears and drops of blood not turn barbells into things of legend?Do our screams not make the earth tremble when we do dumbell curls, hardcore stile?Does our accumulated lore not match that of the ancient Library of Alexandria?I think not my friend....do not joke about things that only the true initiates are privy to. Speaking of which:do I get my inner-circle pass?

Haha, Morgoth you are hilarious...

10/5/07

SST WO
Farmer's Walk: 30's - 100 steps (2 sets)
Clean Jumps: 60 - 10 (5 sets)
Front Squats: 35 - 5 (5 sets)
Chair Dips: 8 reps (MS), 9 reps (MS)

Comments
First major shake up to the routine. You guys were right about the OH Squats being ridiculously hard to control with DB's. Holding the DB's close to the front of the shoulders is a much smoother movement.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Oct. 05 2007,18:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Oct. 05 2007,20:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

laugh.gif
tounge.gif
</div>
What, aren't we all brothers in this game of iron?Do our tears and drops of blood not turn barbells into things of legend?Do our screams not make the earth tremble when we do dumbell curls, hardcore stile?Does our accumulated lore not match that of the ancient Library of Alexandria?I think not my friend....do not joke about things that only the true initiates are privy to. Speaking of which:do I get my inner-circle pass?</div>
Good to see you're back , you seemed to have disappeared for a while - the alter-ego &quot;bro-oligist&quot; thing always cracks me up.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Oct. 06 2007,03:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Oct. 05 2007,18:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

laugh.gif
tounge.gif
</div>
What, aren't we all brothers in this game of iron?Do our tears and drops of blood not turn barbells into things of legend?Do our screams not make the earth tremble when we do dumbell curls, hardcore stile?Does our accumulated lore not match that of the ancient Library of Alexandria?I think not my friend....do not joke about things that only the true initiates are privy to. Speaking of which:do I get my inner-circle pass?</div>
Good to see you're back , you seemed to have disappeared for a while - the alter-ego &quot;bro-oligist&quot; thing always cracks me up.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Thank you, you are most kind. Work+life+training&amp;diet experiments=little time for posting. Which is pretty much the situation now, but since I'm embarking on a new(significantly longer) prep cycle, I have enough little evil guys doing nasty things to my brain for re-engaging in forum noise propagation.

Colby, sorry for introducing noise in your thread, BTW, I guess that was quite annoying.

Back