The Road to 10%

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have enough little evil guys doing nasty things to my brain</div>
Hey, we believe you man!  
laugh.gif

Colby: run that by me again as to how weight signalling is not important in cutting, so light weights are all you need to keep muscle that was developed for lifting heavy weights? I never thought that there was any real controversy, but if it works for you, then who can say?
I do understand that one can't use the weight used when bulking, but to go light in my understanding is to signal a lesser stress enviornment. Did I miss something somewhere? I see you're at least progressing the weight, but when you started with like 20lbs. onearm db rows...I thought you'd might as well be waving your arms.
Not dissing you; just seeking info.

That's what he's doing?I haven't been paying attention...it's a bad idea to go to caloric restriction AND lower the weights used. You'll get away with it now, because you're at a point in the lean-fat continuum where your body is likely to have little issue with mobilizing fat stores. When you'll get leaner though(think under set-point), you'll start wasting muscle at an accelerated rate.

If you want to go to 10%, keep on lifting heavy. Start with simple caloric restriction(not excessive). Once fat-loss slows down, reduce calories further/start adding a little cardio(not hours upon hours, start easy). It's a careful balancing act one has to pull:if you fire your load way too early(heh) by restricting calories violently, adding tons of cardio and implement whatever other strategy you plan on using, what will you do later when you hit a plateau?

IMHO, the best approach is to do only as much as is needed in order to ensure fatloss. If you can get away with only eating a hamburger less per week, start only with that. Once you stall, cut another hamburger and so on. Too great jumps are destined to fail, IME. I'm working with two guys these days(well, not quite working, some pointers on diet and training), and it's the hardest thing to convince them that if it took some years to get fat, wanting to be lean in a week by jumping straight into a chicken breast+a salad per day won't really work, and that changes have to be behavioural in order to attain long-term success.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby, sorry for introducing noise in your thread, BTW, I guess that was quite annoying.</div>

NP, don't worry about it. I enjoy the side discussions in my logs.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby: run that by me again as to how weight signalling is not important in cutting, so light weights are all you need to keep muscle that was developed for lifting heavy weights? I never thought that there was any real controversy, but if it works for you, then who can say? </div>

Well, it's part of a long HST cycle due to the fact I am low on weights. I found about 30 more pounds of standard plates for the DB's. I am still waiting on that Olympic barbell and DB handles. I also have yet to get Olympic plates.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's what he's doing?I haven't been paying attention...it's a bad idea to go to caloric restriction AND lower the weights used. You'll get away with it now, because you're at a point in the lean-fat continuum where your body is likely to have little issue with mobilizing fat stores. When you'll get leaner though(think under set-point), you'll start wasting muscle at an accelerated rate. </div>

I completely agree, which is why the high reps (&gt;15) are only for two weeks or so. I'll be starting the 15 rep mesocycle this week, and the loads on my SST phase will be even higher. Once I have the Olympic plates and DB's, I will be able to increase the load even more.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">IMHO, the best approach is to do only as much as is needed in order to ensure fatloss. If you can get away with only eating a hamburger less per week, start only with that. Once you stall, cut another hamburger and so on.</div>

That's a great point, which is why I haven't introduced heavy cardio yet. I only toss the football around and run routes to get a sweat + some yard work through the week. My workouts are still fairly short ~ about 30 minutes. I'll have more time after November 6th (two actuarial exams) to work out for a longer period of time, but until then I can get away with short workouts.

10/7/07

HST WO
One-Armed Row: 30 x 15 (2 sets)
Bench Press: 60 x 15 (2 sets)
Push Press: 30 x 15 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 30 x 15 (2 sets)
*all exercises are done using DB's

Comments
I could have added more weight to the bench press, but I opted for a smoother progression into the 15's.

Nice work Colby! My wife would kill me if worked out at home...what's the max weight you have at your disposal for lifting? What do you do when it comes to heavy squats and stuff?

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 07 2007,13:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice work Colby! My wife would kill me if worked out at home...what's the max weight you have at your disposal for lifting? What do you do when it comes to heavy squats and stuff?</div>
As of right now, I have about 110 lbs of standard plates, but I don't think I could fit all of them onto two DB's.

I will be getting Olympic DB's and plates soon. I'll probably order four 25 pounders and four 10 pounders of Olympic plates for heavier lifts. That would get me to 140 in plates on the Olympic DB's which takes care of all of my exercises except for deadlift. I'll need another 80 lbs to take care of my previous max on DB deads.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 07 2007,22:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 07 2007,13:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice work Colby!  My wife would kill me if  worked out at home...what's the max weight you have at your disposal for lifting?  What do you do when it comes to heavy squats and stuff?</div>
As of right now, I have about 110 lbs of standard plates, but I don't think I could fit all of them onto two DB's.

I will be getting Olympic DB's and plates soon.  I'll probably order four 25 pounders and four 10 pounders of Olympic plates for heavier lifts.  That would get me to 140 in plates on the Olympic DB's which takes care of all of my exercises except for deadlift.  I'll need another 80 lbs to take care of my previous max on DB deads.</div>
Try push-ups with added weight...those used to be a good exercise AFAIR. May be a tad dificult to set-up though.

Morgoth, it may be too difficult for me to do push-ups with added weight unless I had strapped a DB on my back like a rocket pack.

I had to mow the lawn yesterday. Apparently, summer didn't get the word that it is over. Back to my regularly scheduled program..

October 9th - SST WO
Farmer's Walk: 35's - 100 steps (3 sets)
Clean Jump: 35's - 5 reps (4 sets)
Chair Dips: 10 reps, 9 reps
Deadlift: 50's - 5 reps

October 10th - HST WO
Bench Press: 40's - 15 (2 sets)
One Armed Rows: 35's - 15 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 15's - 15 (2 sets)
Reverse Curl Cuban Press: 12.5's - 15 (2 sets)

With an EZ-Curl Bar, I could lift 35 lbs for 15 reps. I struggled to do 25 total lbs with the DB's. However, I am not including the weight of the DB's. I'll weigh them for some accuracy of the loads I am lifting. That plus the balancing force of my stabilizer muscles probably explains the difference in load. This brings me to a question...

<span style='color:red'>What is common % of load for DB to barbell exercises? 60, 70, 80, 90% voice your opinions/answers HST'ers!</span>
laugh.gif

October 11th - SST WO
Front Squats: 20's - 5 (5 sets)
Farmer's Walk: 37.5's - 100 steps (2 sets)
Clean Jump: 37.5's - 5 (4 sets)
Chair Dips: 11 reps (MS), 9 reps (non-MS)

With autumn finally coming to Pittsburgh, PA, it was time to set up shop in the basement. FYI, I did the Farmer's Walks around my pool table which takes about 5.5 laps to do a set. I'll be buying my Mom's house next year, and there will be a remodeling of the basement soon after that. Side effects of that is a lower ceiling, so this may be my first and last cycle for Clean Jumps. Push Press and RCCP's will have to be reviewed.

:BUMP: to my last question....

<span style='color:red'>What is a common percentage of load for DB exercises compared to that of a barbell? PLEASE VOICE YOUR opinions/answers fellow HST'ers!</span>

October 12th - HST WO
One-Armed Rows: 40 - 15 (3 sets)
Bench Press: 45's - 15 (3 sets)
Push Press: 15's - 15 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raises: 20's - 15 (3 sets)

Awesome workout, but get this guys....

My fiance got me to do pilates with her before my workout. In exchange, I got her started on a lifting routine (non-HST). Tim, I know you do yoga, so I am sure the feelings are similar... Pilates are no joke, they really tire you out and strain your core. It's a hell of a warm-up as well!

I'm making my own thread for the question...

October 15th - HST WO
One-Armed Rows: 45 - 15 (2 sets)
Bench Press: 50's - 15 (2 sets)
RCCP: 10's - 15 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raises: 20's - 15 (2 sets)

Colby,

I can't really help with the DB/BB conversion unfortunately bevause I rarely use DB's. What I can tell you is that my weight for seated DB Delt Press is slighly higher than my standing military BB. Although, this could be due to the fact that IO am now goiing heavier on chest so my shoulders are more worn out during military press. I will switch to DB's for my next workout and see what the story is currently.

I will be getting a barbell &amp; Olympic weight set tomorrow. I am skipping out on bench press until I have a bench. I was doing them outside on a retaining wall, but the weather is starting to get colder.

Man you should hit 10% LONGGGG before may, 2008. I believe in slow cutting too, but that is a snail's pace! You should be able to drop 1%/month of bodyfat no problem if your diet and exercise are up to par.

Any particular reason for the slow paced goal?

Nice log btw.

Sci,

Simply put, that is the day of my wedding. In the past, I have been slow with my cuts no matter what I do. I am not disciplined on the weekends.

Really, there is no excuse for my not up to par results from before. I too believe I can shed 1%/month. The past month hasn't worked up to my likings...

9/14 - 10/16
Weight Change: nill
BF% Change: About .3%
Average KiloCalorie Deficit: -385.75 kcal/day (this should warrant about 3lbs lost)

I am taking pictures this week for the ultimate testimony. I followed my diet correctly, and that deficit may actually be higher considering my estimations and assumptions alter it (overestimate kcal intake, underestimate BMR/exercise). I have been using my same philosophies from my Optimizing Your Caloric Intake thread.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'll get those pics up soon!

-Colby

10/17/07 - SST WO
DB Clean Jumps: 40's - 5 (2 sets)
Deadlifts: WU - 5, 135 - 5, 185 - 5 (2 sets)
Dips: 12 reps (MS)

It was a short WO, but I was very short on time. I bought that 300 lb Olympic barbell set at Dunham's today for 118 bucks. It is pretty exciting. The Olympic plates are too big for my farmer's walks when I walk around the billiards table, so that brings me to my 2nd major change to the routine. I am phasing out the walks and having them replaced with RCCP's in my SST routine.

10/18/07 - HST WO: 15's
One-Arm Bent Over Rows: 50 - 15 (2 sets)
Push Press: 22.5's - 15, 11
Standing Calf Raise: 22.5's - 15 (2 sets)

I tried to do Incline Bench Press on a love seat, but it wasn't happening. I have no bench, and I will not get one any time during this cycle. Besides Dips, what exercises can I do to work my chest?

I found an old log I had for my 1st HST cycle, and boy have things changed! Nevertheless, I am still young and relatively new to lifting and I always have questions. I mean, look at my volume. My first routine had 8-9 exercises, and now I have halved that!

Back