think I need to eat more/start counting calories

Hi jmm. I would suggest that you keep your fat intake below 20% as your calories get above maintenance. Basically, figure out your fat requirements for caloric maintenance, and then as you add calories to gain weight, don't add fat calories.

Could you please detail why keep fat intake fairly low?Is it because during bulking you`re likely to be getting a fair bit more carbs than during cutting, and that may limit fat oxidation and favour fat-storage?If so, would keeping carbs in the 100-150g range, with the bulk of them around training, help?

thanks for the suggestion. Likewise I'd be interested in info as to why, or a link to the relevent article/s etc.

Damn - I seem to have developed a 3000 Calorie/day weight loss regime
sad.gif
In the past week, I've managed to lose about 500g. Still trying to figure out how - I've been counting calories pretty carefully, and eating 3k/day (or slightly over - I haven't been bothering to count the few calories in the odd cucumber, portion of cabbage, cup of tea, etc.)

This just seems weird - surely my metabolism can't have speeded up so quickly? The only obvious potential problem I can think of is that I haven't had as much sleep as I should for a few nights (under 7hrs, cause of stress, work etc) - but would that have made such a difference?

On the plus side, maybe I should patent this technique - imagine how much you could sell a 'stuff your face with 3000 Calories per day, exercise just 40mins every other day, and still lose weight' diet for ;)

Checked fitday, and macros are 20/35/45 for protein/fat/carbs. Doing no cardio in gym; must average about 45mins brisk walk per day just to get around (but I've been walking this much for years...); I've got a desk job, so no exercise there, aside from fidgetting...

well, I have been a bit jittery lately
smile.gif
But yeah, I doubt I've been able to achieve an additional 600 Calories/day of fidgetting...

Haven't been 150lb for a while; was 74.6kg this afternoon. At this rate, I might make 77.5kg in a year or so
biggrin.gif

If we are both aware of the fact that you`re over 150 pounds, why are you having only 150 grams of protein?Bump it up to at least 1g/lb(2.2 grams/kg), and you could try going as high as 1.5g/lb(3.3 gram/kg), which won`t hurt and may certainly help.

After you`ve got your protein in place, it`s make sure you get your EFAs-at least 6x1 g fish oil capsules. With these two things in mind, it`s time to choose the filler. And here it`s your choice, wheter you`ll favor fat or carbs, and what ratio you`ll employ. It may be wise to limit the fat intake to what you`re getting from the protein sources you`ll choose and perhaps a little added from monounsaturated sources like cold-pressed olive/corn oil, for example.

If you`re still not growing, keep the constants(protein and EFA intake) and increase intake.

Thanks - will try upping the protein. I'd heard .8g/pound - but as you say, eating extra isn't going to hurt, and may well help.

I eat one or two portions of fish per day, which adds up to 3-6 grams of omega 3 (about 1-2.5g of EPA and DHA combined), and an ounce or two of walnuts. Is it worth eating more EFAs?

If you can constantly eat that much fish and you like it, probably not. DHA supposedly saturates at 1.2 grams per day, if I remember correctly, anyhow. Are you a dolphin, if you don`t mind my asking?Fish every day...2 portions
biggrin.gif

I have a tin of sardines as a snack almost every day - 3g omega 3 fats, 23g protein, very cheap, and sardines with toast and gherkins taste great - and eat fish or shellfish for lunch/dinner every day or two...so doesn't seem like eating so much
smile.gif
I tend to find fish easier to eat and cook (at least, cook well) than meat, and I couldn't afford to eat as much nice (organic/free range/game etc.) meat as I do fish... I have got webbed toes, but not sure about dolphin lineage ;)

I'm always impressed by the amount of lean meat some people manage to put away - skinless chicken breasts, in particular, I've just never seen the attraction of...well, unless you drench them in butter... - but we've all got different tastes, I guess.

This is getting ridiculous - I gained half a pound in 4 days, and went back down 74.5kg in another 4 days. Still eating a good 3k Calories/day (probably a little more, as I've been getting a bit slack about counting the calories in relatively low-cal food like lettuce and fruit...but have been counting at least 3k calories, and 165+g protein each day). My weight just seems to be hanging around 74.5kg
sad.gif

Anyway, was thinking of adding an extra meal - a tin of pilchards with toast mid-morning should give me about 2-300 extra calories (and extra protein/omega 3). Getting tempting to just move to a 'see food' diet, but the more measured approach is probably better ;) Anyway, hopefully an extra meal would do the trick? Not *entirely* bad news, anyway, as seem to have lost a little fat at least (belt got looser, t-shirt stayed tight around arms...)

Well yeah, another meal. You need more calories than 3k if you aren't gaining. I'd try going up to 3500 or a week or two and see what happens.

Keep in mind what your energy expenditure is going to be whether you are walking, playing a sport, working out, running, or anything else besides sitting/laying down.

Check out this exercise calorie counter to get an idea of how many calories you are burning in addition to your BMR.

I know this goes against all the advice given...but I say forget counting calories, forget nutrient ratios. If you are struggling THAT much with weight gain, you need to just EAT A SHITLOAD. I am currently hairs away from 200 lb.s, with no gut/ fairly lean. I put on almost 20 lb.s since May 2006. without ever counting calories. I did two cuts in that time period to control fat gain, but other than that, I just eat. Trying to break 200 is very hard for me. Typical breakfast, milkshake/yogurt (would eat more if I had time), Typical late breakfast/lunch...bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes, hashbrowns, OJ. Milkshake and /or snack, typical dinner: slabs of meat (steak/turkey/whatever) gravy, potatos, broccoli, milk. Snack on ice cream or cheesecake or other high-calories dessert.

I need to add a bigger breakfast and more snacking to break 200. I have no idea how many calories/protein I am getting, just know the scale is moving UP, and my Rep Maxes are moving UP, while waist is not.

Short of drug use, overeating while training hard is the best way to pack on muscle. Of course if I was on drugs, I would be eating EVEN MORE!!! But seriously, natural guys have got to force themselves into an anabolic state with training and tons of food.

You need to count calories if you're like me.

W/o counting calories, I have done two things while lifting - ate too little and lost muscle, and then ate too much and gained too much fat.

Back