UD2 on >15%??

Techo

Hi all,

long time no post =) I recently purchased and read through Lyle's Ultimate Diet 2.0. This comes after several successful bulking cycles (STILL need to post results) that also added some body fat on the way.

I have a rough time cutting. Dropping my weight is no problem, but I usually end up losing tons of muscle with it. So, I decided to purchase the UD2 book.

Much to my dismay (I must have missed this on the web), I found that it is recommended for men 15% or less of BF. My question is, do you have any personal experience using UD2 at higher BF levels? Or do think I will be okay? I only have a Tanita scale to measure BF and it does not even have an athletic mode. The scale reads that I'm at 24%. I had another bioimpedance reading done recently (the kind you hold out in front of you), and it said I was 18%. However, I know generally these bioimpedance can be high...

What do you guys think?

A while ago I had a DEXA scan that put my BF at 17%. At the time my Tanita scale said 24%. So you're probably under 15% or close enough. But UD2 isn't realy compatible with HST style training - the suggested routines aren't a progressive load and have a different purpose than hypertrophy alone. If that's a concern you might want to try Lyle's Rapid Fat Loss diet instead. I did that for about 6 weeks with weights and cardio and lost 15lbs, after gaining back the initial water loss.

The UD2.0 requires specific workouts, UD2 does not, if you still want to do an HST routine, try another cycled diet, like a vanilla CKD. Or, you could just do the UD2.0, it's a ton of commitment, but it would still work, the point is, other stuff would work too, if you are such a high BF%.

It will work for you if you follow it. The main reason it is recommended for people under 15% only is because the diet takes a lot of discipline, and before you get to 15% bodyfat, pretty much any diet (the bulk of which are much easier than UD2.0) will work well for you if you follow it. Once you get to 15% and under, however, then you are putting your muscle mass at a much higher risk and losing fat becomes much more difficult.

You should definitely invest in a set of calipers if you really want a more accurate picture of your bodyfat%. You can get a cheap pair on ebay for probably around $5.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, I am fully aware of the discipline required on UD 2.0 - or at least as aware as possible w/out actually doing it. It will NOT be easy, that's for sure. And while I'll have to stop HST for the cutting, I'll be back when it's time to bulk!

Like I mentioned before, traditional cutting methods wouldn't be ideal for me since I have such a problem w/muscle loss. I'm willing to give this a stab, however. I may even do what Viper did a little over a year ago and keep a log on this forum.

I appreciate your comment, Totentanz, about obtaining calipers. I guess I've had some reservations in the past about getting a decent brand. But it would seem that a cheap brand would be better than nothing...

accu123, I'd be interested to hear more about your Rapid Fat Loss experience since I noticed that one as well. Did you experience any muscle and/or strength loss from the diet?

Techo

The Rapid Fat Loss program worked great for me. Even though I ate about 300-400 calories per day more than the recommended 800 and closer to 1000 more on Saturday and Sunday. You're allowed a couple free meals per week and a refeed every few weeks, so overall I gues I wasn't too far off, especialy since I did about 4-5 hours cardio per week in addiditon to the 3-4 hours weights.

I didn't do an HST style routine. I did 8-12 reps per exercise and 3 sets and avoided failure. I increased weight when able to do so. I'd say the workouts were no harder than usual for that rep range and I still made progress in terms of being able to add more weight to many of the exercises. I ran 4 times a week, from 3-10 miles a session, which I've been doing for a few years - I didn't do more than usual during the diet. The long runs were sometimes harder than usual but I got through them. I eventualy took Saturday as a free day and ate more carbs and that helped out my long Sunday morning run.

Without taking another DEXA scan to compare I can't say absolutely I didn't lose muscle, but it doesn't feel or look like it. I didn't lose strength (even gained some) and most muscles are more defined (obviously) after losing the weight.

Hope that helps.

That's some good food for thought... We'll see how this UD2 thing goes assuming all goes well. Maybe I'll post on bodycomp too for some feed back.

I suppose my only concerns left at this point are:

1) What's the least I can get away with for training a muslce so not to lose out? I say this becuase the example workouts do not include abs or upper traps...

2) Not really a question - more of a concern. I find that when I over do it in the gym it's MUCH easier for me to get sick. Viper had this problem when he did his UD2 (not sure if it was directly related tho), and I am in the middle of cold season.

Back