Upper Leg Development

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Jun. 05 2006,05:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The only issue with placing anything under the heel is becuase you can fall over it.  Otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.</div>
There is no need for it and it does nothing useful, so why bother?
Why not just wear a dress when squating, it is as useful as putting something under one´s heels?
Actually it has the potential to put more stress on the knee during the descent and ascent.

A dress could actually help in assessing width of stance.
laugh.gif

I would have thought jacking the heel up WOULD make a difference as you're changing how the force is being applied at the ankle (dont know what affect it would have tho neg vs pos)

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Jun. 05 2006,12:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Jun. 05 2006,05:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The only issue with placing anything under the heel is becuase you can fall over it.  Otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.</div>
Why not just wear a dress when squating, it is as useful as putting something under one´s heels?
Actually it has the potential to put more stress on the knee during the descent and ascent.</div>
the same reason weightlifting shoes have wedged heels it stops you overbalancing and helps you push with the heels rather than the toes.

<div>
(faz @ Jun. 05 2006,08:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ Jun. 05 2006,12:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Actually it has the potential to put more stress on the knee during the descent and ascent.</div>
the same reason weightlifting shoes have wedged heels it stops you overbalancing and helps you push with the heels rather than the toes.</div>
in this case, I stand corrected. Appropriate shoes are useful.

dr some info on here
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

A bit on Squatting from wikipedia.

The squat is a lower-body exercise in weight training, which is also used as a lift in powerlifting. The main emphasis is on the quadriceps muscle group, and on the glutes (buttocks), but it also involves the hamstrings, the calves and the lower back. The squat is often called &quot;the king of exercises&quot; because it &quot;is capable of inducing more and faster muscle growth than any other exercise&quot; (Dr. Fred Hatfield).

The squat is performed by squatting down with a weight held across the upper back, and then standing up straight again. Proper technique is critical, otherwise serious injuries can occur. The back must be kept straight—not rounded—otherwise excess strain will be placed on the lower back. Lifting belts are often used to help support the lower back.

Experts are divided on how squats can be done safely. Some believe the squat must not go too deep, i.e. beyond the point where the thighs are parallel to the floor, otherwise excess strain will be placed on the knees. Others believe that thighs actually touching calves is acceptable, provided the knees do not travel farther forward than the toes. Still others believe that the knees may travel slightly past the toes. It does seem well agreed upon that the knees should not travel more than a few inches beyond the toes, and that they should stay in line with the toes, not buckling inwards or outwards.

The feet should be flat on the floor, with even distribution of weight between the heel and the ball of the foot. Individuals without sufficient ankle flexibility may try putting a board beneath the heels to artificially improve their flexibility. Similarly, a wedge shaped board may be used, allowing the entire foot to remain in contact with a single surface, improving stability over the first technique. Both methods are a short-term fix and require that regular stretching and a full range of motion should be employed to maintain and increase flexibility to the desired levels with the ultimate desire that the board's use be eliminated. In the sport of weightlifting, a specifically designed squat shoe that has a heel elevated by an encased wooden block is commonly worn.

Heavy barbell squats are best performed in the presence of one or more spotters, who can safely return the barbell to the squat rack at the end of the set if the weight trainer is unable to do so.

The squat has a number of variants, which include:

The barbell squat.
The Smith machine squat.
In the hack squat, the barbell is held just behind the legs.
The pistol squat, a freestanding one-legged squat where the non-lifting leg is held straight ahead.
The split squat, an assisted one-legged squat where the non-lifting leg is placed, at the ankle, on a knee-high platform behind the lifter.
In the overhead squat, the barbell is held overhead at full extension in a wide-arm snatch grip.
In the front squat, the weight is held across the upper chest.
The dumbbell squat, with dumbbells either positioned in parallel near the shoulders, or hanging at the sides.
The hindu squat is a squat done without weight where the heels are raised and the weight is placed on the toes. The knees track far past the toes. This is a controversial exercise, and it criticized for being damaging, evidencing the knee problems historically experienced by Indian wrestlers who did hundreds daily.
Individuals who find that they cannot safely perform the squat are advised to try the leg press instead.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I know putting a block of wood, or something, under your heels helps and allows you to go deeper but I read somewhere that this is dangerous and can lead to injury...so I don't do it.</div>

It is about centering your centre of gravity, some people talk a lot of crapula, I will not do squats any other way, and I do them ATG (with less weight) and ass to bench (Parallel). But never....ever without a block of wood about 1 inch thick, just does not make good physiological sense.
cool.gif

Jeez....maybe I'll take a plank to the gym with me then
laugh.gif
Seriously, should I use one or should I continue without ?

I dropped my weights for the first workout of the 5s and have managed to deepen my squat....it felt really good aswell.

Having my heels slightly raised allows me to go deeper while keeping my back straight/arched.

As far as leg development, I've also had pretty good succes with single leg/split squats using a dumbbell.  Maybe because I have no problem going deep when doing them.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Jun. 06 2006,01:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There is no need for it and it does nothing useful, so why bother?
great arguement, why dont we talk about wearing makeup while we are at it.

Go to your book shelf, get out your favourite book on training. Look at the pictures of the squatters

What are they wearing on their feet?

Oly shoes

what do Oly shoes have?

heels

I wonder what heels do

<div>
(Bonio @ Jun. 06 2006,18:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jeez....maybe I'll take a plank to the gym with me then
laugh.gif
Seriously, should I use one or should I continue without ?

I dropped my weights for the first workout of the 5s and have managed to deepen my squat....it felt really good aswell.</div>
If you need one, otherwise don't. A lot of people don't need them.

as tot said if you can do a full squat without then go ahead ,if you are more comfortable with something under your heels then thats
cool.gif
its about getting the best out of an exercise and if you feel safer ( less unstable) then you will use more weight and do the exercise better.
biggrin.gif

Not one of you seems to have addressed the problem. I have the same problems as the original poster, and have been in another forum where the concensus was NOT to do the oly stance, but rather to do the narrow BODYBUILDERS stance, which puts more of the load on the vastus lateralis muscles (you have 3 quad muscles). I'm presently training myself in this method, and had to start with less weight, since the oly style is for lifting max poundages and narrow stance is for hypertrophy. Actually I'm sort of in between the two, with feet at about 14&quot; apart, and I've hit the 500lb mark, where I had more than that with the wide stance. (not gonna brag here, heh)
My intention is to get that &quot;sweep&quot; on the outer quads to make the leg look wider. I get insane poundages but no growth with the oly stance.

The sweep of the outer thigh may be an issue of genetics. Even when my legs were thinner, let's say only 23 inches, they looked much larger because I have a good sweep. Of course I have no peak in the biceps...

Ach, meLord, 'tis true. Genetically disgifted quads, but large calves from hiking as a kid. I figure that bodybuilding is cheating gentics as much as we can though, so I prioritize the movements that accentuate my weak points, as quads, biceps, and chest.

Back