Upper Leg Development

capitolcitykid

Well heres the rundown....ive been training for a while now and its been extremely difficult to get any upper leg development. I can squat 405 relatively deep, about an inch above parallel, can deadlift 275 with very good form, so ive gained all this strength but barely any size. Ive tried everything from unilateral negatives for leg curls, leg extensions, and leg presses to just doing squats, SLDL, and deadlifts.

im getting kind of frustrated and was wondering what the best combination of exercises would be for a guy like me....im welsh so my knees arent the most reliable (i know vicious has commented before about the knees of the welsh). i was introduced to weight training when i was wee lad (my pops was a bodybuilder) and im wondering if that might have affected the fiber makeup of my legs, either making it more phasic or tonic.

Squat deeper. Evidence seems to suggest that stopping at parallel is what puts stress on the knees. Start deadlifting more weight. If you squat 405, you should be able to deadlift more than that, unless you are talking about SLDL or something and not regular deadlifts.

For me, squats, deadlifts and good mornings have made my legs pretty large. I don't think anything else is really necessary.

the reason i say relatively deep is because in the past ive found that going too deep has tweaked my knees somewhat. so according to my experience and limitations the depth i use seems to be as far as i can go

Make sure your knees extend past your toes when squatting and you don't lean forward. That should take the strain off the knees as you go below parallel.

Either do the squats properly or learn how to do them properly or stop doing them.
You will do more harm by not doing them properly.
If you can´t do them now for pain reasons, stop and do leg presses or something else.

I am not trying to be rude, but squats can be the ultimate workout or the Ultimate disaster.

I see people in my gym doing squats that make me cry they are so wrong.

Just friendly advice,

Pierre

Sorry to hijack your thread but I gotta admit, I struggle with squats. I don't know if it's because I've got long legs but even without weight, if I go too deep I just lose balance and fall over.

I know putting a block of wood, or something, under your heels helps and allows you to go deeper but I read somewhere that this is dangerous and can lead to injury...so I don't do it.

Anyway, my strategy is to try to push it that little bit further without sitting on my arse and looking a proper plum
rock.gif

yeah bonio i hear ya on the balance issue, the same thing happens to me
sad.gif
. i dont know what the deal is, maybe its my limb length. i think for this next cycle im going to start using front squats and see how those go, hopefully itll allow me to go deeper without tweaking my knees too much.

1. wider foot placement
2. The bar lower on your back. NOT ON YOUR NECK,
3. NOTHING UNDER YOUR HEELS!!!!!!!!!!
3. No Running shoes!!!!!!! Either bare feet or flat solid soled shoes.
4. If you lose balance and your legs wobble it is because the adductors in your legs are weak. you need to strengthen those. Go lighter on the squats to build up leg muscle.

Don´t give up on the squat....it´ll save your life
smile.gif

CCKid..front squats....how do you do them?

Pierre...Thanks for the suggestions...and the encouragement....I wont let the b'stards beat me
laugh.gif

i do full very deep squats now (for the past few yrs) but didnt always. i have long legs. 6' w 34" inseam

dont be fooled by squating with just the bar and think you cant keep your balance. none of us are 2 anymore so its an unstable position unless youve got some wgt on the bar. try it. i warm up w/135 and it feels good and light but if i try just the bar i wobble all over the place.

this might just be me. when i progressed to parallel and slightly below squats i needed a wide foot placement with feet flared out, similar to powerlift squat. as i tried to go deeper to my present full depth squat i did not have the strength or flexibility to do any real wgt. i believe it is weak adductors and tight hip flexors. moving my foot placement in to slightly wider than should. width and a little less flare in my foot position has changed everything. going deep feel much smoother and the wgt is not too much off my prev. parallel squat.

as stated before tuck the bar on back not neck. your traps and shoulders make a nice groove for it when they are rotated to hold the bar.

search the web for some sites on proper form and study them (fronts too). squats are the best exer. you can do ( maybe tied w/deadlifts) for growth but the worst for you (maybe tied w/deadlifts) if you do them wrong.

start light and get the form right. easy to say but tough to do, we all go into the gym with some ego. in a few months to a yr that good form will payoff big time.

good luck

<div>
(bluejacket @ Jun. 02 2006,19:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">moving my foot placement in to slightly wider than should. width and a little less flare in my foot position has changed everything. going deep feel much smoother and the wgt is not too much off my prev. parallel squat.</div>
this can be helpful, but then you must strengthen the adductors in another exercise. an overally narrow stance removes, in a large part, the need for the adductors.

vicious circle
sad.gif

this might help:

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum....unt=825

you can buy weightlifting shoes or shoes with a tappered wedge.
i have used a peice of wood in the past under my heels not to thick,never had a problem with this as long as you push of from your heels and not your toes it should be fine.
once i got used to it i took the wood away..you could give that a try on the 15s..good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

hmmm...

Squat oly styl
close stance

high bar placement
all the way down

if you come up think a hot chick is standing in front of you! -&gt; Chest out!

Do the mobility drill called squat to stand it will increase your Range of motion

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if you come up think a hot chick is standing in front of you! -&gt; Chest out! </div>

huhuuuu m@x !
bbszene down, huh !
tounge.gif

gruß
wink.gif

Thanks all..

Pierre..that link is great....I've done a little practice with a very light weight. Wide stance...concentrated on pushing the glutes back and the knees out as suggested and sure enough, I squatted deeper.

I start my 5s on Monday though and I'm not sure I'll be able to squat so deep on my weights.....what should I do?

Drop the weight until you can go deep. Work on your form, it will still be effective, since you'll be going through full ROM now.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 03 2006,22:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Drop the weight until you can go deep.  Work on your form, it will still be effective, since you'll be going through full ROM now.</div>
Exactly

The only issue with placing anything under the heel is becuase you can fall over it. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.

Back