Weights, cardio and stuff log

15 clustered dips, 3 - 12.5kg, 3 - 15kg, 3 - 17.5kg, 3,3 - 20kg.

17 clustered chins, BW + X, 3,3,3,3,3,2 - 20kgs.

2 days ago:

15 clustered dips, 3 - 12.5kg, 3 - 15kg, 3 - 17.5kg, 3 - 20kg, 3 - 22.5kgs.

14 clustered chins, BW + X, 3,3,3, - 20kgs, 3,2 - 22.5kgs.

1x15 seated rows - 90kgs. Fast.

14 clustered dips BW + X, 4,3,3,4 - 20kgs.

12 clustered one-arm assisted chins, 3,3,3,3 - 55kgs. Can't decide if supinated or parallel is better. WIll try WG next time as well.

1x15 WG lat pulls, 90kgs.

12 clustered one-arm assisted chins, 3,3,3,3 - 55kgs. Can't decide if supinated or parallel is better. WIll try WG next time as well.

Woah! How are you doing these, Alex? I'm picturing you holding the bar with one hand; your other hand is grabbing your wrist; and then you're doing chins with an extra 55kg's (121lb) hanging from your belt?!! Man. I suck.

Woah! How are you doing these, Alex? I'm picturing you holding the bar with one hand; your other hand is grabbing your wrist; and then you're doing chins with an extra 55kg's (121lb) hanging from your belt?!! Man. I suck.

Haha ... no no, that's 55kg of assistance. So I'm lifting ballpark 55-60kg per arm (at around 17-19% bf right now. Too much good food about and felt like bulking my back for the last few months).

In terms of form, I'm putting the non lifting hand behind my back.

I imagine they will get easier once I have the form downpat and if/when I actually remember to bring the Versa Gripps to the gym :p

I'll say this for them too, they're absolutely the best bicep exercise I've found. Might be best for lats too (hard to say, as DB rows use more lats than a BB row).

Haha ... no no, that's 55kg of assistance. So I'm lifting ballpark 55-60kg per arm (at around 17-19% bf right now. Too much good food about and felt like bulking my back for the last few months).

In terms of form, I'm putting the non lifting hand behind my back.

I imagine they will get easier once I have the form downpat and if/when I actually remember to bring the Versa Gripps to the gym :p

I'll say this for them too, they're absolutely the best bicep exercise I've found. Might be best for lats too (hard to say, as DB rows use more lats than a BB row).

Ah! Thank you for clarifying. Now I will sleep tonight! :D

I remember trying one-arm negative chins when I was lighter: utterly brutal on the bi's. Don't think I could do one qualifiable rep now.

To spare my tendons, I'll be alternating DB Rows w/one-arm assisted chins I think. And while I'm on the topic, I feel like I have new shoulders. My god they feel good from just that workout.

Planned program for a while:

A:
Dips
One-arm chins
Metabolic work for the above
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Lat raises

B:
Bench
Rows
Metabolic work for the above
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Lat raises

Should put me in a comfortable deficit. I'm (fingers crossed) aiming at 300gm protein per day, no creatine (can't be ****ed dealing with the hydration issue at the moment, to be blunt), caffeine via tea & coffee. The cals vary a tiny bit here and there and I'll be missing one workout on Monday next week. Same plan; clustering for upper body, increasing weights where possible.

Looks like a solid plan. I hear you about the creatine. I struggle to find enough time with my work day just to get adequate hydration right now.

12 clustered DB rows, 3,4,5 - 100kg. I am so f**king pissed my now. The 2nd pair of Versa Gripps to have the left hand tear along the rubber from top of hand (between forefinger and thumb) to bottom (below pinky figner). I highly doubt they're going to give me a replacement pair for the same exact tear, but wtf, how would you ever be able to use these deadlifting if they can't handle a 100kg DB row?

1x15 WG chins, done on I-beam using finger-grip contact. Myo-repp'ed these out, as will need to restore strength in fingers.

14 clustered dips, BW, 5,5,4 - 20kg. Time to bump.

1x15 lat raises - 10kg, using weight suspended from handle by chain, not DB. Super slow. Felt good.

4x5 Leg press stack loaded - 135kg. Felt fairly easy. Going to change machines or do squats, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have to get the "pro series" or whatever, since your pulling so heavy.

At those prices? Doubtful ;)

What bothers me is that folks are doing deads and rack pulls with substantially higher weights than I'm moving.

Yeah, I cheaped out and got the classic also, I hope I don't tear mine, they've been awesome to use so far.

I'm really eff'ing pissed TBH.

It's making me think about straps again, just because they're simpler (if not quite as effective).

I'm also thinking about finding a non-eroding adhesive to join the rubber again, although I know that's a poor bandaid solution (literally) at best.

That's really strange, as I've pulled 800 on rack pulls using my versa gripps before and never had any issues. Seems odd that you would get defective ones twice in a row, but I guess that is possible?

I'm furious, frankly.

In any case, I now have 2x left hand with tears of the kind I described and will be using a right hand gripp on the left for the time being.

I would return them again. It's a pain, but the store will replace them so you should just do it. Maybe there was a duff batch?

Quick Q re the Versas: does the wrist band part act as a wrap? ie. does it offer as much wrist support as a regular wrist wrap?

I would return them again. It's a pain, but the store will replace them so you should just do it. Maybe there was a duff batch?

Quick Q re the Versas: does the wrist band part act as a wrap? ie. does it offer as much wrist support as a regular wrist wrap?

It's better. Versa grips make regular wrist straps seem like junk. Though its not so much a wrist support, as much as a pulling tool.

I couldn't find a decent stockist of versa gripps in the uk and didn't want to wait for postage so I bought some RDX gripps. They're well built and have helped take my focus off my grip and onto the lifts. Well worth the £10-£20 quid!

Back