Weights, cardio and stuff log

12 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4 - 100kgs. Felt good.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 100kgs.

15 clustered DB upright rows - 42.5kgs.

16 clustered one-armed pushups, 4,4,4,4 - 1st step height.

Last edited by a moderator:
16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4,4 - 100kgs. Fairly intense.

12 clustered one-arm pushups, 4,4,4 - first step height.

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4,4 - 100kgs. Not easy, not impossible, just difficult.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 42.5kgs. Going to bump it up next time. Nice groove.

2x20 pushups, handles, natural spacing. Left shoulder feeling a bit numb (?), sort of sore but not sore. 98% sure it's from the one-armed pushups, so giving them a rest today and will just do the metabolic work.

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4,4 - 100kgs. Same as previous.

15 clustered DB upright rows - 45kgs. Weight bump felt good. Am distributing the weight so it lies on the outside of the back of my hand, palm facing same direction as hands by my side, grabbing the handle that forms part of the plate. Akin, perhaps, to a non-even weighted kettlebell. Feels good on the shoulders though.

1x30 pushups, natural spacing, no handles. Still skipping the one-armed today, giving the joints just a little more rest. Loving the high-rep feel though, feels nice on the anterior delts.

14 clustered DB rows, 5,4,5 - 100kg. Felt good. Re-distributed weight so it's 60kg in front of the hand, 40kg behind it (under the wrist). Much better groove and allows for better ROM, more forearm involvement. If the 20kg plates had smaller diameters then probably wouldn't do it that way. 102.5kg near end of the week I think, Friday or Sunday.

1x15 WG chins - BW. Felt really good. Nothing works that scapula quite like a WG pull.

12 clustered one-arm pushups, 4 - 2nd step height, 4,4 - 1st step height.

"Basing" ? No. But my back exercise is generally the one I spend most attention on, given the # of muscles that comprise the 'back'.

I do it first because it's the hardest, needs the most energy etc. Up until about early Feb I was doing chins, I'll probably alternate back to them in Julyish, then back to Rows about Dec-Jan again.

I don't spend as much time on the anterior pushing chain because I'm fairly well developed there, and 'maintaining' that area is more of a priority than getting bigger. I've spent more focus on there previously, and I prefer my back to be the focus of upper-body rather than chest-delts. Having said that, doing one-arm pushups is bringing my delts up pretty quickly (unintentionally).

I may be partial, but I do agree that the back is the most important area to be working on your body.

It's so far in front, there isn't a question to be asked.

If I 'had' to prioritise, it's probably like this:

-Back (that means BACK, not 'upper' or 'lower', it's all the same region and lats, traps are muscles that traverse the nonsense 'upper-lower' distinction)
-Thighs (quads&hamstrings both)
-Delts
-Chest
-Bi's
-Tri's (bi's first because 'tennis elbow' is more common that the the tendonitis you can get via contracting biceps too often/hard)
-Forearms
-Upper traps (shrugs)
-Calves
-Abs

Ofc this is all theoretical conjecture. Development imbalance will cause some form of injury sooner or later, whether it's on an anterior-posterior plane or upper-lower plane (spinal erector injuries occur due to inadequately strengthened glutes, hip flexors just as they do due to poor form on back exercises).

I tend to work the spinal erectors along with the lower body, in real life as well as with legs in say a Deadlift or a barbell squat involves heavy erector strain. Then again so can rows or standing presses, or a million other upper body exercises.
but most splits work lower body with lower back, which simply refers to the erectors which is lumped in with lower body as "Lower back", even though technically the erectors go all the way up to the neck!

Same with "upper back" the lats, traps, and other back muscles, are all essentially posterior shoulder muscles tat move the humerus, so must of the back muscles are actually " upper body" while only the erectors would be classified as "lower". At least in my little world! Of course, if you do full body workouts, then it really doesn't matter any more! ;)

17 clustered DB rows, 5,4,4,4 - 100kgs. First cluster wasn't great, a bit stiff, the next three were magnificent.

1x15 WG pulls - BW. Feeling good. Doing them using fingers as contact point off an I-beam in the garage. Works the forearms like crazy.

17 clustered DB rows, 5,4,4,4 - 100kgs. First cluster wasn't great, a bit stiff, the next three were magnificent.

1x15 WG pulls - BW. Feeling good. Doing them using fingers as contact point off an I-beam in the garage. Works the forearms like crazy.

Insane DB rows. I want to see you do these. I have to try to rig up some way to do them this heavy once I get to max out my DB's.

I dig the I-beam pull-ups too. I do a similar thing in stairwells sometimes (for fun), with finger tips on the spaces between the balusters or spindles. The challenge is hanging on and not developing any body swing.

Bodyswing is the killer for sure.

Re: loading up the DB's - I have to load one side 60kgs, as I noted. Otherwise I getting a v.large diameter plate tapping into my abdomen. Tried it that way for a little while but it's just too frustrating.

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4 - 100kg, 4,4 - 102.5kgs. Great form all around today, made sure to do that first set properly. WG pulls are helping here I think, just getting muscles that rows don't hit so well a bit stronger, more involved.

1x15 WG pulls - BW, I-beam, finger grip. Felt good, forearms getting involved too. No bi's either, which is always good.

15 clustered one-arm pushups, 4,4,4 - first step, 3 - on grass w/handle. The last 3 were shaky, kind of don't count, lots of body language etc but it's worth recording when I first attempt them.

1x30 pushups, natural spacing, no handles, natural-fast pacing.

2x5 Front raise - 10kg. Plate dangling from a chain connected to handle. Much, much harder than holding a DB of same weight. Gravity, such a bitch.

1x5 Lateral raise - 10kg. Same as above.

12 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4 -102.5kgs. Booyah. Focusing on the eccentric, or trying to at least.

16 WG pulls, BW, I-beam using finger grip.

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4,4 - 102.5kgs. $hit yeh. Really nice form today. One more session on this load, then will bump it come the weekend I think. Just want to slow down the eccentric a tiny bit more.

18 clustered one-arm pushups, 4,4,5,5 - first step height.

16 WG pulls, BW, I-beam using finger grip.

1x5 Lateral raises - 10kg, plate on chain via handle.

1x30 pushups, no handles, neutral spacing.

1x40 squats - BW. Going back to single leg soon. These are a nice way to get everything accustomed to that.

17 clustered DB rows, 5,4,4,4 - 102.5kgs. 105 next time, I think.

15 clustered one-arm pushups, 5,5,5 - first step height. Will start working in doing some off the ground soon.

1x14 WG pulls, BW, I-beam using finger grip. Getting easier re: grip.

18 clustered DB rows, 6,4,4,4 - 102.5kgs. Didn't sleep quite well enough for 105 and working out earlier than I would, given stuff to do. Monday for 105 hopefully.

1x16 WG pulls, BW, I-beam using finger grip.

9 clustered one-arm pushups, 3,3,3 - off the floor, woot. Continues to be predominantly shoulders rather than pecs at this stage. Ongoing project etc.

Back