Weights, cardio and stuff log

Well f**k yeh, figured out how&where to load the absurdly big 20kg plate

20 clustered DB rows, 4,4 - 70kg, 4,4,4 - 75kg. Could have gone for more load, but happy to progress over the weeks. Will probably build strength but not muscle w/current diet.

11-second hand stretch. Left hand had a little grip left but can't see a reason to cause imbalance there.

12 clustered DB shoulder press, 3,2 - 45kgs, 4,4 -42.5kgs. Definitely a little bit of 'push press' on the last rep of each cluster, really slow eccentrics though, so it's an explosive concentric (momentum) and a high-value eccentric.

3.04km walk with the Ms

Last edited by a moderator:
19 clustered DB Rows - 4,4,4 -75kg, 4,3 -77.5kg. Booyah.

10 clustered DB shoulder press - 4,3,3 - 42.5kgs. Still a lil drained from badminton, took it easy.

20 clustered DB rows, 3,3,3,4 - 77.5kgs, 3,2,2 -80kgs. Grip was the weak link on those 80kg reps. Form was strong though. Will try some hanging stretches to help with the grip. Anyone know of a cheap way to make it better? I'm not someone who loves straps, maybe just get a handle grip and strap it on my DB. Meant to be cutting, but I might go bulk for 2 weeks to get a return off this load now and not later.

9 clustered DB shoulder press, 3,3,3 - 45kgs. Reps are getting easier, still some push-press elements in there, but no issues, nice slow eccentrics.

Walking w/the Ms, ~3.3km

21 clustered DB rows, 3,3,3,2,2,2,2 - 80kgs, 1,1,1,1 - 82.5kgs. None of these 80kg clusters was to rep-before-failure. I think I could do it in 3-4 clusters frankly, however slipping grip is becoming an issue. The DB handle just doesn't have enough left. Will look into Versa Gripps, maybe just go w/straps. Been contemplating just thickening the handle using a small towel as well to help w/forearm strength. I did the 82.5kgs singles were done a little while later. Just wanted to try and help my grip strength.

10 clustered DB shoulder rows, 4,3,2 - 45kgs. Getting stricter and moderated-slower, so feeling good.

2x15 pushups, w/handles, natural spacing.

25-30mins badminton doubles - cut short by the Ms spraining her ankle. +1 strength training for carrying her around.

18 clustered DB rows, 3,3,3,3,3,3 - 80kgs. Grip continues to be an issue at this weight. They're feeling a little bit better, but not by enough, yet. Straps are prob. where it's at next.

2x15 push ups w/handles, neutral position, palms on ~45 angle.

Didn't do DB shoulder press today, bit drained after a crazy day re: ER and didn't want to slip into push press form. Will just do them on Monday as normal.

20 clustered DB rows, 3,3,3,3 - 80kg, 4,4 -77.5kgs. Grip is a major problem. Will probably drop back to 77.5kg and stick with that until I can a strap that works (current one is fail FTL) or my forearms naturally catch up. The difference is so small but so great. I'm going to try the weight in-between, by adding a baby 1.25kg plate to get 78.75kgs and see how that goes.

15 supported one-arm push-ups

10 clustered DB shoulder press, 3 - 45kgs, 4,3 - 42.5kgs. Should have done these before push-ups. Ah well.

14 clustered DB rows, 4,4,3,3 - 77.5kgs.

12 clustered DB shoulder press, 4,4,4 - 42.5kgs.

2x20 push ups w/handles, neutral/natural spacing, explosive but not airborne.

1x20 DB rows, 42.5kgs, explosive.

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4,4 - 77.5kgs. The last for each arm was a bit weak and nowhere near strict. Still doing lots of g/f carrying too, courtesy of her ankle woes, extra TUT :p

12 clustered DB shoulder press, 4,4,4 - 42.5kgs. Felt 'ok'. Pretty drained all over atm w/non-lifting stuff, will just ride it out and go back to 45 in a week or so.

10 clustered DB upright rows, 4,4 - 42.5kgs. Left arm finds the groove more quickly than the right, will try to remember that. 45 next time I think. It just hit me how reduced the ROM is for this exercise compared to a chin or traditional row. End random thought.

2x20 push ups w/handles, neutral spacing

Sooooo much person-carrying today :p. Biceps and back beyond covered ...

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4,4 - 77.5kgs. Been paying attention to the DB grip, making sure it's tight and not slipping mid-set. This can happen because I'm doing the rows Pendlay style; slight arch at the beginning of the rep for better lat stretch and ROM, touchdown between reps.

1x15 DB rows, 42.5kgs - did them as a drop-set to save time.

11 clustered DB shoulder press, 6,5 - 42.5kgs. No idea where 6 and 5 came from. Sweet.

2x5 DB upright rows - 42.5kgs. Should have done 45 but cbf'd raising today.

1x25 push-ups, w/handles, natural/neutral spacing. Going to give mikeynov's idea of max-pushups a spin and see how far I can push my max as last exercise for the day. Done explosively but not airborne.

12 clustered DB rows, 3,3,3,3 - 78.75kgs. Good form, good grip, woot.

1x15 DB rows, 42.5kgs - explosive lifting, did as drop set for time. Will probably try and find an extra few minutes so I can do them separately and to 20 reps again, or maybe max out to balance the push ups.

13 clustered DB shoulder press, 5,5,3 - 42.5kgs.

1x28 push ups, natural/neutral spacing, handles, explosive.

13 clustered DB rows, 3,3,3,4 - 78.75kgs. Felt good. Still doing a lot of g/f carrying due to her sprained ankle. It's like working biceps & traps every day for 10min TUT at 5RM or something.

1x15 DB rows, 42.5kgs - explosive form, drop set again due to time factors.

19 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 42.5kgs, 4 -45.5kgs. Good groove, a lil sluggish 'feel', just due to general tiredness I think.

11 clustered DB shoulder press, 5 - 42.5kgs, 3,3 - 45.5kgs.

1x20 push ups, handles, neutral/natural spacing, explosive. Just a bit tired today. Great activation and control though.

17 clustered DB rows, 3,4,5,5 - 78.75kgs. Bumping to 80kgs on Monday. Grip issue fixed via significant tightening of the DB handle. Form is v.good.

1x15 DB rows - 45.5kgs. Explosive, great burn.

9 clustered DB shoulder press, 3,3,3 - 45.5kgs.

12 clustered DB upright rows, 4,4,4 - 45.5kgs.

1x28 push ups, handles, natural spacing, explosive. Chest-centric lately.

AA, the 10 min g/f carry should be on it's own line. That's a nice workout right there! :)

Your DB rows are still progressing well. The fact that you're about to start throwing around an 80kg dumbbell is pretty special and testimony to your persistence and consistent lifting.

How much are you weighing right now? And roughly what bf% are you at?

AA, the 10 min g/f carry should be on it's own line. That's a nice workout right there! :)

Your DB rows are still progressing well. The fact that you're about to start throwing around an 80kg dumbbell is pretty special and testimony to your persistence and consistent lifting.

How much are you weighing right now? And roughly what bf% are you at?

Re: carrying - yep, adding up ... enough TUT to sink a ship.

The DB Rows are definitely lighter than they could be. I'm working w/a set of DB's that have that 'loose' grip about them, so the plates, the grip (doubles as a separator for plates at each end) and tighteners all need to get jammed pretty damn tight or else the grip slides around the bar axis and essentially falls out of the hand. I'm thinking pretty hard about getting an adhesive to make the damn thing stay permanently. I'm pretty sure I can hit 100kg inside the year, if not closer to mid-year.

Weighing ~ 110kg atm, about 17-18% bf, 6'1 - 6'1 & 1/2 - I don't look it though. I'm not a caliper pro, so I figure I'm always a percent or two out. My bones (or something, but I figure bones) have always been dense and thick. I tend to weigh more than pseudo-identical guys standing next to me w/same volume and height dimensions and with a similar bf%. Getting cut down below 12-13% has never been on my list of things to do (although it probably should be I guess ... g/f votes for that at least :p, I like my food too much).

12 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4 - 80kgs. Easy, peasy Jap-a-neeeeeeeees-eeeee. 82.5kgs on Wednesday I think.

1x15 DB rows -45.5kgs, explosive, underhand grip.

9 clustered DB shoulder press, 3,3,3 - 45.5kgs. Felt easier but harder at the same time. Will just keep pumping it out, won't be raising it for a couple of workouts at the earliest.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,4 - 45.5kgs. So easy, good groove today.

Started on creatine again, just felt like it might help during another (extended) cut, make sure TUT and rep count stay in the same region. Will have to adjust to the hydration, especially given I don't mind a bit of tea or coffee.

Back