Weights, cardio and stuff log

13 clustered DB rows, 5 - 90kgs, 4,2,2 - 92.5kgs. Slight handle issue again, meant a bit of pseudo rest-pause for a couple. Felt heavy, but not unmovable, so the bump was well-timed/on time.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 92.5kgs. Doing these in a pseudo T-bar style, grabbing the outer of the plate leads to really strict movement and great lat control.

19 clustered DB upright rows, 7,7 - 40kgs, 5 - 42.5kgs.

3x5 one-armed pushups, dropped the height, down to 2nd step level, woot. So good.

2x20 pushups, w/handles, palms facing each other, alongside upper rib cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you rowing 90 Kg with one hand? That is insanely strong. If so, you need to get that on video.

Are you rowing 90 Kg with one hand? That is insanely strong. If so, you need to get that on video.

Yeh one hand. Obviously there's a little bit of body English during the rep, but it's minimal, and for DB I think you want rotation around the spine (ala your rowing shoulder&hip comes up, the support shoulder&hip comes down) to get a better ROM.

Will try to get it on video some time.

Hah! Lol City, Population: That Guy Can't Bend His Arm ... no, nothing like that. One-armed deadlift king right there ...

Just saying that I think a DB Row involves a slight rotation to get the proper range of motion. Similarly a bench press usually has some measure of back lifting up from the bench etc. Chins have a slight & 100% natural buck/kip/bounce to them because your body moves on the anterior-posterior axis/plane etc.

19clustered DB rows, 4,4,3,3,3,2 - 92.5kgs. There aren't enough expletives for me to describe how much that handle is pissing me off. Went to investigate new ones, only they're about a 3cm shorter; meaning I can't load as much. Maybe straps are the answer. Worth a shot, anyway.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 92.5kgs. So easy today, ah well, I'll take it.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 42.5kgs.

15 clustered one-arm pushups, 5,5,5 - 2nd step height. Still feeling it from doing them the other day. Serratus etc.

18 clustered DB rows, 5,5,5,3 - 92.5kgs. There aren't words in the English language to describe Versa Gripps with the praise they deserve. Totentanz, if/when you read this, I will buy you a slab (24 beers) if/when you ever visit Australia. 95kgs on Friday.

Anyone doing heavy pulling exercises should be using these ... unbelievable.

1x15 2-handed DB rows 92.5kgs. 95 come Friday.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 42.5kgs. This seems to be a good working weight for me, minimal body language a nice groove, not much strain on the joints at all.

11 clustered one-arm pushups, 4,4,3 - first step. So much stabilising work. I might be at this level for a while. 2nd step felt easy (ish) after the first cluster last time, despite lingering soreness from the previous workout. No soreness today so decided to 'go heavier' by reducing the angle. I'm thinking that 2s and 3s for up to 15 reps might be useful, working on form and emphasising the negative, even if the concentric doesn't get done.

1x25 pushups, handles, controlled timing, natural spacing.

In a few ways:

-They're infinitely simpler to use. 'Less fiddly' sounds like a precious-princess excuse, but let's face it: who actually prefers the messier of two options in any scenario in life, assuming effectiveness is equal ... ?

-Zero negative pressure/strain on the wrists. Perfectly wrapped straps probably don't cause this either, but that ties in to the above as well - simpler to achieve this end result.

-Minimise the 'weak link' of grip, at least for rows (and I imagine chins, rack pulls and deads.

-Every review I've read gives them 5-8yrs shelf life, and many of those guys are lifting above&beyond what I'm doing. Waaaaay above, like, entering the stratosphere levels of 'above'.

-I'm still going to get calluses - obviously good, only this time they won't extend along the underside of my pinky fingers and tear the outer layers of skin off.

-Yet to identify a disadvantage.

The site for Versa Gripps says you can use them for presses. I can't imagine which press one would want them for; maybe just to overcome sweaty hands or grip-worn bars etc.

I've never used straps at all. Always thought it would hamper forearm/grip strength. Backwards thinking maybe? Tempted to try for deadlift.

I've never used straps at all. Always thought it would hamper forearm/grip strength. Backwards thinking maybe? Tempted to try for deadlift.

The issue for me is partly equipment (the grips for my DB's are not part of the handle, they're a sheath that slides over it. It's useful in that I can move hand position along the bar, bad in that it slips and revolves around the handle - problem for rows), and partly that my fingers just aren't strong enough compared to my traps and lats. It's not a forearm or upper arm issue (bicep), it's literally about the fingers. I don't take this as 'OMGIHAVEWEAKHANDS!!!', cos I can manage a few increments below just fine. Plus, the bar is so heavy that I can feel the blood being cut-off in the tips after the 5th rep. Getting calluses and torn skin along the length of pinky, my palm is basically hardening up like 'The Thing' from Fantastic Four ... so this is a nice compromise :p

They definitely don't reduce the effort needed from forearms. http://versagripps.com/how-to-use-versa-gripps-video <-- explains it fairly well. Your fingers will grip the VGripp onto the bar, hold it in place, it just creates a better contact and lets your back do the lifting uninhibited by equipment or finger grip issues.

Found a copycat brand @ Nutrition Warehouse franchise in QLD. They're all fairly similar I'm assuming; minor shape differences at most, from the looks of things. I'm about 95% sure that Versa Gripps patent has long expired.

18 clustered DB rows, 5,5,5,3 - 92.5kgs. There aren't words in the English language to describe Versa Gripps with the praise they deserve. Totentanz, if/when you read this, I will buy you a slab (24 beers) if/when you ever visit Australia. 95kgs on Friday.

I'm glad they worked out for you. I'll hold you to that if/when I visit Australia.

As for whether straps hamper grip strength... I can hold 800lbs+ in my hands but you can be damn sure I strap up for any sets with over 400 lbs for more than a few reps. Grip strength is obviously still solid despite my usage of straps. Straps allow you to focus on the lift instead of your grip. Not only that, but grip gets slippery sometimes during a workout and straps help mitigate that.

Interesting... maybe I should try a pair of versa grips or the cheaper variety. I've just been using the ole' standard cotton wrist straps which have seemingly been doing the job ok thus far; but I'm always up for trying new gear.

I'm glad they worked out for you. I'll hold you to that if/when I visit Australia.

As for whether straps hamper grip strength... I can hold 800lbs+ in my hands but you can be damn sure I strap up for any sets with over 400 lbs for more than a few reps. Grip strength is obviously still solid despite my usage of straps. Straps allow you to focus on the lift instead of your grip. Not only that, but grip gets slippery sometimes during a workout and straps help mitigate that.

I have zero worries about grip strength. Forearms are going to get hammered, it's as you say, focusing on the lift rather than grip that these things are doing.

Interesting... maybe I should try a pair of versa grips or the cheaper variety. I've just been using the ole' standard cotton wrist straps which have seemingly been doing the job ok thus far; but I'm always up for trying new gear.

If what you're doing works, then stick with it - they're pretty awesome though.

16 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4 - 95kgs, 4 -100kg.
Kids stuff. 97.5kgs on Sunday I think.
- Felt like I had more in the tank, decided to go a bit nutty. 100kg f**k yeh. New working weight found. Will probably have to loosen up slightly more I suppose. Can REALLY fill a difference in lat activation with the Gripps. Obviously this is Traps 1st, Lats 2nd. But those 2nd'ary movers are still critical IMO. I feel like they 'close' out the rep, "feel" not being a direct correlation to what's actually happening but they're definitely important and now they're getting used to the fullest.

16 clustered DB upright rows, 5,6,5 - 42.5kgs. Great groove. I think the Gripp's are helping here as well. Less energy spent to holding the DB int he correction position, more energy spent lifting along the correct plane.

15 clustered one-arm pushups - 2nd step, 4, 1st step, 2,2,4,3. Form is improving. Figuring out the best positioning for all four limbs, how to balance etc. These induce a very needed back crack, soooo good.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 100kg.

Back