Weights, cardio and stuff log

I hate cutting. Unfortunately in the long run, I'd rather be small and lean, than big and fat. So that means I may just cut down and never do a regular "bulk" again! Once I get to my target bodyfat I will probably just "hang out" there for awhile and see what it is like long-term before I attempt to bulk again. Don't get me wrong, I like bulking, I just hate having to cut afterwards to get lean again. I read some research showing roughly around 12% bodyfat to be the 'ideal' for men, as far as healthiness, which isn't "ripped", but is visually appealing, definitely leaner than most. That is probably where I'll end up trying to maintain in the 10-14% region from now on.

If my goals were mainly just to be huge and strong, then I'd just bulk up to 20%+ or so, and forget about health and vanity, just become and big, fat powerlifter, lol.

I hate cutting. Unfortunately in the long run, I'd rather be small and lean, than big and fat. So that means I may just cut down and never do a regular "bulk" again! Once I get to my target bodyfat I will probably just "hang out" there for awhile and see what it is like long-term before I attempt to bulk again. Don't get me wrong, I like bulking, I just hate having to cut afterwards to get lean again. I read some research showing roughly around 12% bodyfat to be the 'ideal' for men, as far as healthiness, which isn't "ripped", but is visually appealing, definitely leaner than most. That is probably where I'll end up trying to maintain in the 10-14% region from now on.

If my goals were mainly just to be huge and strong, then I'd just bulk up to 20%+ or so, and forget about health and vanity, just become and big, fat powerlifter, lol.

I'd rather be big & lean(er - cbf'd attempting nonsense below 10-12%) than either of those alternatives.

Powerlifting needs the mass, but I definitely disagree with the implication that only powerlifters can achieve meaningful size that would be referred to as 'big'.

I'm always a bit sceptical of studies or claims that suggest they know the 'ideal' bf%. Obviously you want some bf, but not too much. If one day God dropped down and told us what the ideal % was, and the number he/she told us was any of the numbers in the range of 9-18%, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. 18% makes sense, 12% makes a different kind of sense. Hell, even climate factors in to the answer.

The thing is, 'lean bulking' is just a random myth perpetuated by those with something to gain from you doing what they want (hint, usually involves $$). Putting on muscle is incredibly inefficient thermodynamically, and there's nothing the body can do to circumvent that. I'm fine w/bulk-cut-bulk-cut etc. You have to really commit to get bigger, and maintaining a low bf% without chemical assistance isn't physiologically possible in the mid --> long term.

14 clustered DB rows, 5 - 80kg, 5,4 - 82.5kgs. Booyah.

1x15 DB rows, 45.5kgs, explosive, underhand grip. Might bump this weight to 47.5 or 48kgs.

Loaded row stretch, 72.5kgs, 15-seconds.

11 clustered DB shoulder press, 3,4,4 - 45.5kgs.

2x5 DB upright rows, 45.5kgs. Bump it next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
who doesn't hate cutting?

I pretty much always give up on my cuts when I hit 10 percent, never go lower than that anymore because it just sucks so much

12 clustered DB rows, 4,4,4 - 82.5kgs.

1x20 DB rows, 45.5kgs, explosive.

12 clustered DB shoulder press, 4,4,4 - 45.5kgs. Couple of legit push-press reps in there, good groove today.

21 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5,6 - 45.5kgs.

2x20 push-up matrix; 1x5 CG, hands touching, 1x15 explosive - all w/handles.

11 clustered DB rows, 4,4,3 - 85kgs; f**k yeh.

1x15 DB rows, 45.5kgs, explosive.

13 clustered DB shoulder press, 4,4,5 - 45.5kgs. Decent rest b/t clusters helps for this exercise in particular. Maybe b/c it's unilateral.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 45.5kgs.

2x20 push up matrix, 10 - CG, 10 -natural, explosive.

11 clustered DB rows, 4,4,3 - 90kgs. Just felt like lifting heavier today. Due to DB grip-handle annoyance again, some were done in a rest-pause fashion, maybe a second between reps for a couple.

1x15 DB rows, 45.5kgs, explosive.

13clustered DB shoulder press, 4,5,4 - 45.5kgs. Gave 47.5kg a try and didn't get a rep done. Feeling a bit tired re: this exercise the last couple. Maybe it's due to doing it second and pushing the crap out of my DB rows. Will keep bumping the rep count for each cluster. Might need to warm up a bit more, maybe a few push-ups or something.

EDIT: went back and added an extra 4 reps a bit later. Will stick to one set of high-rep push-ups I think.

1x30 push-ups, w/handles, natural spacing, explosive.

14 clustered DB rows, 5,3,3,3 - 90kgs. Still working on the annoying handle grip issue.

1x15, 1x10 two-handed DB row, 90kg. Eff'ing amazing middle trap pulling, same for rear delts. Almost like a pull.

13 clustered DB shoulder press, 4,5,4 - 45.5kgs. Really good form today, minimal <--> none push-press assistance.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 45.5kgs. V.strict form, quite happy w/them.

Meant to add that mid-delts are responding v.well to current set-up. Difficult to measure, but can see a noticeable difference in 'bump' if I do a 'crucifixion' stance and turn palms to face the floor instead of forward.

Going to re-introduce plyometrics for the legs, have let them go the last couple of months.

Meant to add that mid-delts are responding v.well to current set-up. Difficult to measure, but can see a noticeable difference in 'bump' if I do a 'crucifixion' stance and turn palms to face the floor instead of forward.

Going to re-introduce plyometrics for the legs, have let them go the last couple of months.

Pics? Better than a thousand words. ;)

Yesterday:

4x10 jumping squats

Today:

15 clustered DB rows, 5,5,3,2 - 90kg. Felt a bit tired after two sets of high rep work last time. Sticking to one now. Focusing on the concentric, trying to keep form strong. Might drop back to 85kg next time just to work on that. 87.5kg would be great but I don't think there's width on the DB for 2 plates (5 & 2.5).

1x15 2-handed DB rows, 90kg.

15 clustered DB shoulder press, 5,5,5 - 45.5kgs.

15 clustered DB upright rows, 5,5,5 - 45.5kgs.

Grumpy today, so pushed the back workout.

18 clustered DB rows, 5 - 85kgs, 5,5,3 - 90kg. 90kg felt easier than 85. Might be due to wrong balance on the DB at 85. Regardless, sticking to 90kg and will need to figure out how to increase it in a week or so.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 90kg.

11 clustered DB shoulder press, 6,5 - 45.5kgs.

15 clustered upright rows, 5,5,5 - 45.5kgs. Followed up w/8 lateral raises, - 15kg. My form is getting a little worse, I think it might be do to the heavy DB rows. Perhaps will drop it down to make sure I'm hitting the middle delt rather than upper traps.

1x20 pushups w/handles, explosive.

15 clustered DB rows, 5,5,5 - 90kg. F**king grip issues again. Infinite rest-pause as a result. So annoying.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 90kg

3x10 push-ups, plyometric, pushing as far up as possible, done in lieu of DB shoulder press - slept badly re: my neck.

11 clustered DB upright rows, 4,4,3 - 52.75kgs. Changed back to holding it like a kettlebell. The 'groove' is greatly improved, as is the feeling of lifting. So I'll be sticking to that. It's callus-village, but meh ... callus' are awesome.

20 clustered DB rows, 5,5,5,2,3 - 90kg. Trying to work on form. I think my biceps need some 'endurance' work, and my grip strength can definitely get better. Hence the extra clusters. This might bite me in the butt re: back muscles though.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 90kg. Purposefully did it really slow for a high-rep set, felt great.

16 clustered DB upright rows, 4,4,4,4 - 52.75kgs.

3x5 one-arm pushups on bench - slowly work the angle down til it's off the floor ... well that's the plan at least :p

13 clustered DB rows, 4,4,3,2 -90kgs. Great form, took it slightly easier after Friday, but crazy once in a while definitely paid off.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 90kgs. Kicked ass on these.

12 clustered DB upright rows - 52.75kgs.

3x5 one-armed pushups on bench.

21 clustered DB rows, 4,4,5,5,3 - 90kgs. F**king handle issue again. Took forever to do these w/having to adjust//fix things between reps. Tomorrow is equipment shopping day.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 90kg.

23 clustered DB upright rows, 4,4 - 52.75kgs, 5,5,5 - 50kgs. Lowered weight to try and emphasis the middle delts. Might drop it further and perform them super-strict along a specific line.

15 clustered DB rows, 5,5,5 - 90kgs. Great form, well controlled, no issues w/equipment today, bumping on Saturday.

1x15 2-handed DB rows - 90kgs.

19 clustered DB upright rows, 7,7,5 - 40kgs. Super-strict.

3x5 one-armed pushups, lowering to ~45 degrees. More delts than tri's than pecs. Still, delts are loving it.

3x11 push ups w/handles, natural spacing, explosive - why 11? Just cos

Back