Which Chest Exercise Do You Do?

The Long Run

My chest seems to be lacking a little right at the bottom edge of the pecs, but is getting kinda full everywhere else.  I've been doing 20 degrees incline bench presses only.  Should I switch to flat bench to fill in this area? Will this neglect the upper part of my chest that's filled in a little?

I'm also curious as to what others are going as regards to chest out there.  Not interested in iso movements though.  Thanks!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 20 2008,8:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Flat Bench Press &amp; Dips are all you need for chest development.</div>
Yup, where's the choice for dips...?

I voted for Flat Bench but, just like Colby mentioned, I do Flat Bench alternated with Dips every other workout.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jun. 20 2008,2:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am currently only doing dips for chest.</div>
Ditto, but only for a few more weeks until equipment arrives

I lack in the pecs, so am trying O&amp;G's system of one set each of four exersizes. Bench and my shoulder ain't gettin' along, so I replaced it with incline db's. Then Flyes, Dips, and decline bench. Gets a pump going, I just finished the 15's and am heading to alternate 12's and 9's for the rest of the cycle.
I figure he's nine years my senior with better stats than me: must be on to something.
rock.gif

<div>
(The Long Run @ Jun. 19 2008,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My chest seems to be lacking a little right at the bottom edge of the pecs, but is getting kinda full everywhere else. I've been doing 20 degrees incline bench presses only. Should I switch to flat bench to fill in this area? Will this neglect the upper part of my chest that's filled in a little?

I'm also curious as to what others are going as regards to chest out there. Not interested in iso movements though. Thanks!</div>
Doing flat bench will hit the lower pecs better, however... the lower pecs includes most of the visible part of the pec, so it won't really solve your problem. All you can do is keep hitting them and hope that they fill out. Everyone's pecs are shaped slightly different, so there is always the chance that you are screwed.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 20 2008,8:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Everyone's pecs are shaped slightly different, so there is always the chance that you are screwed.</div>
Count on Totz to state the problem clearly and eloquently...
smile.gif

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I honestly didn't think of dips as a serious chest exercise even though I know some here do them for chest. Also I've never done them so haven't seen the results they could bring.

Totz stated what I was thinking, and kinda afraid of at the same time. I probably just need to fill in my chest more before worrying about &quot;shape&quot;, but there can still be the chance I'm just screwed. LOL

<div>
(The Long Run @ Jun. 20 2008,10:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I honestly didn't think of dips as a serious chest exercise even though I know some here do them for chest.  Also I've never done them so haven't seen the results they could bring.  </div>
If that is the case then I highly recommend you do a HST cycle with only weighted, wide grip, leaning forward dips for chest.  You will see that they beat the crap out of pretty much anything else for chest development when done properly.

One note of caution: for some of us, using too wide a grip for dips plays havoc with our AC joints, so find out what is a comfortable width for you before piling on the weight.

Ditto about the dips. Try them and you won't be disappointed. Just remember to lean forward in order to emphasize the chest.

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 22 2008,2:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One note of caution: for some of us, using too wide a grip for dips plays havoc with our AC joints, so find out what is a comfortable width for you before piling on the weight.</div>
Very true - that's one thing you have to be careful with! I'd say, just stick with a closer grip, listen to your body and don't jump into high loads/reps right away!

Yeah, it is more important to lean forward than to have a wide grip.  I should have said &quot;dips with a grip as wide as is comfortable&quot;.

I like dips quite a bit, but I think that flat bench - when done correctly - is great for pec development. Ever since I finally figured out proper benching and have started getting my bench numbers up, my pecs have slowly begun to respond. Dips did work great for me up to a point, as I used to be totally flat chested where you could see the lines of my bones, and getting into dips helped a lot with that, but my pec development pretty much stalled out a while ago.

Long Run - what sort of form are you using when you flat bench? I found that a wide grip and pulling the bar down to about the top of the abs or just above the abs has been best for working my chest rather than my shoulders when benching.

I think I took Bryan's template workout as Gospel and have been doing &quot;slight incline&quot; presses and dips. Slight incline=less than 45 degrees I would say, a hair less...

But it seems like most of you guys dig the flat bench + dips combo?

Is incline unessential?

(I do shoulder presses as well, so maybe inclining my chest presses is redundancy...)

The slight incline is to take some of the stress off of your shoulders. I used to have some shoulder issues and when I switched to the incline benches they stopped being a problem. I alternate now between the flat and the incline and always do dips. If I get bored I'll use my pec deck for a set but those two exercises are my bread and butter.

<div>
(FireFighter @ Jun. 29 2008,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The slight incline is to take some of the stress off of your shoulders.</div>
Just the opposite for me.  I've run into shoulder issues with the incline and not so much with flat bench.  I still use dumbell inclines (slight angle) but stay away from barbell on this.

Back