Will Smith's Bench Press

EL_VIEJO

I read at Men's Health that actor Will Smith works up to a 385lb bench press for a single. If he can actually do that, then I'm impressed. However, I think I'd have to see it to believe it. Smith is 6'2'' and weighs about 200. A 385lb BP puts him above the elite category of Mark Ripptoe's Basic Strength Standards.

Anybody here regularly bench press 385lb?

Maybe if he dropped some halo before he benched...

Will Smith looks decent and all, but no way is he that strong. He's not a big guy.

I'll throw a counter in the mix...

I know a guy who pretty easily benches 375 - at 5'1", maybe 145. He's freakishly strong in his chest, but can't even come close to squatting his own bodyweight. If Smith is wired the same as my buddy, who knows - maybe could hit 385 for a single?

I do agree though - it's tough to believe a claim like that without seeing it.

5'1" and 145

6'2" and 200

Won't be in the same ballpark, short guys have it easierin that regards, shorter limbs, more torso, yaay to the short.

Your friend should drop a bit of weight and break national marks in the bench

Yeah, Will is taller and is light at 200, so that claim has to be justified by a video despite his "Brad Pitt" body.

I hate it when he tries to play a "tough guy". I'll admit that he's gained some weight in the last couple years but doubt the lift.

I don't find it impossible to believe. I'm just a bit dubious. However, I'm fully aware that some people are just f-ing strong. Here's Kara Bohigian benching 402lbs at 148.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wpw-NcYXDIQ

Actually, I find it easier to believe that Will Smith can BP 385 than to believe that our raw meat eating friend put on 20lbs of lean muscle in 8 weeks.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 26 2008,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">short guys have it easierin that regards, shorter limbs, more torso, yaay to the short.</div>
I dunno, I'm a short guy, but the bench press has always been my weakest lift. I've never even been able to bench my bodyweight...
sad.gif

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Mar. 27 2008,11:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's Kara Bohigian benching 402lbs at 148.</div>
But remember Kara is currently the best (light) female bencher in the world, and is wearing a bench shirt which alters everything.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 26 2008,21:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Mar. 27 2008,11:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's Kara Bohigian benching 402lbs at 148.</div>
But remember Kara is currently the best (light) female bencher in the world, and is wearing a bench shirt which alters everything.</div>
You're right, that does change things. I wasn't aware that she was wearing a shirt. I'll bet that her raw bench is still pretty impressive though. I really have trouble understanding what's being proved when one has to depend on a bench shirt or a squat suit which are essentially exoskeletons that assist your lift. Are these allowed in sanctioned powerlifting contests?

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Mar. 27 2008,02:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I really have trouble understanding what's being proved when one has to depend on a bench shirt or a squat suit which are essentially exoskeletons that assist your lift. Are these allowed in sanctioned powerlifting contests?</div>
Not only are bench shirts, squat suits (and briefs!), deadlift suits, knee wraps, etc. allowed in powerlifting contests, but they are de rigueur in such contests. Nearly all of the competitors wear it. Anyone benching &quot;raw&quot; is at a significant disadvantage.

I've heard he can't bench 385lb, and its actually 375.... after all being on the tele is supposed to add 10 lbs!!! Come on, bad joke of the day!!!

By the way, stop skitting people that have all of those aids!!! I use everything!!! I'd use a crane if i could get one in the gym!!!
wink.gif

Also, remember what some people consider a rep. I see quite a few in the gym that should be lowering about 6 more inches to their chest before pressing the weight back up. But, definitely possible even if done correctly.

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Mar. 25 2008,16:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I read at Men's Health that actor Will Smith works up to a 385lb bench press for a single. If he can actually do that, then I'm impressed. However, I think I'd have to see it to believe it.  Smith is 6'2'' and weighs about 200. A 385lb BP puts him above the elite category of Mark Ripptoe's Basic Strength Standards.

Anybody here regularly bench press 385lb?</div>
200 lb.s doesn't sound like much, but he's also pretty ripped. I believe it. He's got huge delts if I remember. He's pretty jacked. Plus as others mentioned he may have hit 385 using a 'spotter' who helped him or maybe he doesn't do full reps because its bad for his shoulders or something like that.
Anyway, who cares?

Soflsun had it right. I was impressed with guys lifting with no belts, gloves or anything. Now I'm one of 'em. The thing killin' me is the pause on the chest.
There are 4 benches IMO...
The Competitor: Full motion with pause.
The Proud Warrior: Full motion plus stretch reflex.
The Bouncer: Self-explanatory.
The Noob: 6&quot; off the chest plus humping.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 28 2008,07:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyway, who cares?</div>
I wanna see him do it while bashing an alien in the face saying &quot;welcome to earth&quot;

or something like that.

Back