Your Motivation/Inspiration

Bishop

I was just curious...what or who inspires you to work out consistently? What are your goals? What keeps you going?

Ah...ah

Good question, let us see............
wink.gif

Frank Zane, Lee Labrada, Arnie of course....and a few others.

On the other hand I am nuts!
laugh.gif
And I just love the slight constant pain that reminds me of a good precious day's workout!

Ah...one more...the fact that at 40 (almost), I'm in the best shape of my life...and yep one day If I am crazy enough I'll enter some competition and see what happens!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I want to be able to squat with 405lbs (4 plates a side) and deadlift more than that. I'm not sure how long it's going to take but I'm at 315lb squats for 5s this cycle and 360lb + for deads. If I get there in a year I will set my goals higher again. It's an ongoing personal battle!

My family think I'm nuts! I think it's good to be a little nuts.
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

My inspiration would have to be the Body for Lifers. Especially Anthony Ellis.

When you boil everything down though, I just want to be an inspiration to others that they can build their best body as well.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Apr. 08 2006,09:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">To crush all that come before me</div>
So was it a case of, &quot;When I grow up I want to be a steamroller&quot; or is it a need for revenge after some kind of childhood victimisation?  
tounge.gif

Actually, this guy has always been an inspiration:

hercules.jpg

Anybody know if Steve Reeves was natural or not?

Just read a couple of articles. He was natural. Supposedly 1965 is the approximate date for steroids to begin saturating the market. Yeh I'm like you, I aspire to the physiques of the 'Golden Age' of bodybuilding. I dont like the look of modern bodybuilders.

There are a few:

1. to look good,
2. lifting heavy weights is cool, hitting new PR's is great,
3. the health benefits

I agree with the classic bodybuilders...I just recently started to like Dave Draper:

draper1_t.jpg

Look at those gunns!!!
wow.gif

Yeah, Reeves would have to be natural. The only steroid around then was test suspension and that was only a rumor. It's nothing that would be available to him. Nope, he just had great genes. Remember, he was only 215 lbs at around 6'1 or so. That weight is not out of reach of most people, but his perfect proportions are difficult for a natural to attain.

Reeves is one of my sources of inspiration. I really like Bill Pearl too. Mainly though, I'm in this for functional strength and speed. I got into weight lifting to improve my performance in kung fu, but weight lifting has sort of taken over my focus.

My mental image of what men are supposed to ideally look like got all mixed up when I was a kid reading superhero comics. Ever since then I guess I've subconciously been working towards creating a build like the ones I saw in those mags when my mind was a malleable blank slate! Yea, I know it makes no sense as an adult - but I think that's what got me hooked in the first place.

That's one reason I really hate it when they make super-hero movies nowadays and put in actors, not bodybuilders - hell half those &quot;actors&quot; can't act fer crap, and they look pathetic, not heroic. The new Superman looks like a 180 pound joe-average.

I get motivated to train whenever I see gymnastics on TV. I know those guys are usually under 5'6, but dang, the shoulders. I think they have the best shoulder development of any athelete.

My mental image of what men are supposed to ideally look like got all mixed up when I was a kid reading superhero comics. Ever since then I guess I've subconciously been working towards creating a build like the ones I saw in those mags when my mind was a malleable blank slate! Yea, I know it makes no sense as an adult - but I think that's what got me hooked in the first place.

That's one reason I really hate it when they make super-hero movies nowadays and put in actors, not bodybuilders - hell half those &quot;actors&quot; can't act fer crap, and they look pathetic, not heroic. The new Superman looks like a 180 pound joe-average.

Back