Cutting with HST

What else needs to be said?

Well at the end of the day, you can't cheat physics. Just about any process can be optimised of course, but if you're in an actual surplus then all the partitioning and timing in the universe won't stop you getting bigger. And vice-versa.

What's RFL?

Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet. PM me if you want assistance in getting the book.

Other thing is that I'm doing well on some lifts and I feel that I can comfortably increase some loads even at the cutting. Should I do it?

I know there is risk of injuries and CNS fatigue but the benefits are greater than the risks?

Well, sorry for repeating that, not sure it was seen. Could I increase these lifts during the cut, presuming I have room for it?

EDITED: sorry again, I didn't see that the answers were in the other topic. Thanks.

Last edited:
I guess I should mention that I have actually followed a protocol similar to this in the past. I didn't really get any different results than I did from a standard IF setup. I've successfully done a natural (i.e. drug-free) recomp while doing IF and while I did cycle carbs during that, it wasn't this protocol that you are referring to.

For cutting fat, I will always recommend a RFL style diet first. Recomps are for people too scared of hunger to embrace the rapid stripping of fat you get with a RFL diet. But that's okay, not everyone is hard core enough to endure RFL.

Do you spread your refeeds across the week, or bundle them on consecutive days?

When I do RFL, I do 11 days straight then do a refeed for a couple of days. Sometimes I'll take up to a week off from it before doing another 11 day stretch.

Hi Wungun.

I all ready check most of what you have on the list with regards carb backloading. The only thing that is different is I'm having around 50g of carbs on my second meal also. Surely that can't make much of a difference?

Leonardo. I had my blood work checked a few months ago. They did everything except testosterone. It all came back fine.

gbglifter. I measure and count everything I eat. Plus I eat the same thing everyday which stops things getting complicated (apart from Sat and sometimes sun). All calculations say that I should be losing weight rapidly but I haven't lost anything in the last 4 weeks. According to calculations I have a 2700 calorie maintenance at my height weight and activity level. 3 HST workouts per week plus 2 cardio. At 2000 cals a day I am at a 700 calorie deficit per day.

Also I am 3 - 4 reps off all my 10 rep maxes now. Which is where I was before my bulk. Does that mean the bulk has been a waste?

Thanks

1. Not checking testosterone is probably an issue/a mistake, at the least.

2. Calculations to determine theoretical maintenance are not definitive or accurate, the only way to properly determine this value (including activity levels) is to start with a ballpark and then adjsut based upon weight loss or weight gain.

3. If you are not losing weight at 2000 kcals, then either your BMR is just wrecked (unlikely based on your bloodwork), or 2000 kcals is too much for you to cut on.

4. You can't outwork the kitchen. Your deficit needs to come from intake, not activity.

Just Google up a PDF of Lyle's RFL Handbook and and do that for a month. Seriously, this is now a month later and your weight loss still isn't happening? You are eating too much. You can't cheat thermodynamics, you just can't. Meal timing and 'carb backloading' does not undo the laws of the universe FFS. If you aren't losing weight, then you are eating too much to lose that weight. Starving kids in Africa and South East Asia are not starving because of goddamned meal timing. Please employ some base logic here. Stop trying to outwork your food and just cut it down instead.

Hi Jester.

Does it really sound right that I can't cut at 2000 cals at 6ft and 200lb? Plus what about my strength. I know you lose it on a cut but should I be losing so much? Cutting cals even more would probably seriously effect my workouts

Just to add I actually got down to a lower weight that this last year on 2000 cals a day. Even though I was still no where near lean I hit 177lbs. I was on 50g lower carb then and higher fats. I am probably fighting age also now

1. You either want to lose weight or you don't. If you do, then suck up some minor strength losses in the mean time. I'm cutting right now and 1RM on my bench has dropped 20kg, working sets 5-8kg.

2. Yes, it sounds like you can't cut at 2000 kcals at 6ft and 90kg because ... you aren't able to cut. This is purely a results-based diagnosis.

3. You may actually be quite over 2000 kcal. Unless you're actually measuring out each gram of food and therefore calories, 2000 kcal is just a guess. Ballpark maybe, but a guess nonetheless.

4. Decide which of these is most important to you right now; weight loss and lower body fat, OR, weight gain and improved performance. You can't pick both. And you need to pick one or the other for the next three months.

Charr,

Maybe you should test your testosterone level. I don't believe you can't loose weight on 2000kcal with you height and weight, unless you have hormonal issues.

I don't know how many more times we can all say to get your testosterone checked.

Calculations of your maintenance are just estimations. You have to find the real maintenance level through trial and error, using your calculations as a starting point. It's all estimations until you lock it down.

As Jester said, there is no way of knowing your calorie intake unless you are actually weighing your food. Otherwise it is just an estimate. You'd think measuring in cups or something would be accurate but if you overshoot the measurement by 1/4 or even 1/8 of a cup each time, that adds up to a significant amount in the course of a day.

I don't know how many more times we can all say to get your testosterone checked.

Calculations of your maintenance are just estimations. You have to find the real maintenance level through trial and error, using your calculations as a starting point. It's all estimations until you lock it down.

As Jester said, there is no way of knowing your calorie intake unless you are actually weighing your food. Otherwise it is just an estimate. You'd think measuring in cups or something would be accurate but if you overshoot the measurement by 1/4 or even 1/8 of a cup each time, that adds up to a significant amount in the course of a day.

Not to mention over a week ... for something like cauliflower - who cares, but if it's rice, then 7x 1/4 cup variation is 1.5 cups over the course of a week. Potatoes being 1/3 bigger than you think they are etc.

Just to add I actually got down to a lower weight that this last year on 2000 cals a day. Even though I was still no where near lean I hit 177lbs. I was on 50g lower carb then and higher fats. I am probably fighting age also now
Was you doing IF then with the same timing in the eating window? Why if you were on 50g of carbs then and you got to 177 are you eating over 200g now or do you intend to taper down to 50g?

I am not estimating my food guys. Every thing is measured on my digital weighing scales which I use every day and checked with my fitness pal

I will look into getting my testosterone checked.

Mick. I assumed that calories is all that mattered and I found it easier to eat slightly higher carb this time. I also thought it would help me preserve strength more. I was using the same eating window.

Just to be clear I didn't mean I was on 50g of carbs. I was eating 50g less than I am now which at the time was 150g. I'm eating 200g now. But surely eating 50g more shouldn't make that much of a difference?

Last edited:
Back