Cutting with HST

I've only see my best gains in the last 10 months...And only even started squats this year.... Besides probably my first 4 months, with regards to strength. But as you can see, I'm a pretty svelte person (7" wrists!) lol
My target isn't to become the stereotypical "musclehead"... And age and time and genetics aside, doubt I'd even get there anyways (without" help"). Besides, it's only other guys who think THAT big is cool, or think that's what women like... They don't. Lol
I'd be perfectly happy with another 8-10lbs of lean mass...
Maybe by the time I'm 50!

Last edited:
Not talking about targets etc. but it's pretty clear to me that you're in the middle of beginner-gains territory, your age not-withstanding. You could 'clean bulk' from coke and chocolate bars right now.

Yeah, when you are in the newbie gain territory, you can get away with weird stuff like that. Everyone knows that newbie status doesn't apply to people who've gotten closer to their genetic limits.

With regards to size preference, who gives a crap what women like? Most women aren't that shallow to base their opinions solely on your size anyway. Generally, they seem to prefer a man with a good personality, sense of humor and some intelligence. At least the women worth the time do. And along those lines, every one of my women have expressed doubt that they'd like me bigger and as I got larger, they found that they liked it.

@Totentanz / @Jester,

Do you not think that the John Kiefer's 'CBL' or Borge Fagerli's Bioryhthm diets can work?

I have been currently maintaining weight (+/- 0.5lb per week) at an average daily calorie intake of 3128 (3095 after any meaningful walking done) for the last 7 weeks at a body weight of circa 178 lbs (calipers give me 8% body fat but would say nearer 12% based on Built Lean images) giving me a multiple of 17.5 per lb of body weight which in theory should be a bulk.

Before you mention it I am extremely anal and all food is weighed even to the point where the two tins of tuna I have are drained through a potato ricer to remove as much of the water as possible (which means the label that says drained weight = 112g is incorrect as it is actually around 75g per tin) and everything is logged (including alcohol, black coffee etc) on MyFitnessPal.

For clarification I do not follow these diets to the letter (i.e. no breakfast / no backloading on non training days / eat ice cream, cherry turnovers etc (John Keifer)) but what I do is eat proteins / fats during the day restricting carbs to around 30g (carbs in protein drink, sauces etc) then eat the remainder of my carbs (on average another 200g or so) in the evening / post workout. Average macros are 31% (242g) carbs, 44% (345g) protein and 25% (86g) fat and typically I eat around 1400 calories during the day with 1700 or so post workout / evening.

So what I am doing is following a principal of eating carbs later in the day which is more like Biorhythm than CBL (eat what you want post workout, NO!!) which seems to be working for me (never really hungry and probably would struggle to eat any more) or it could just be training full body 5 /6 days a week allows significantly more food to be consumed at maintenance levels and has nothing to do with diets.

Last edited:
I give a crap! Lol
I prefer to be not weighed down with "typical" relationships... The numbers just don't add up for me. Lol. With that regard, I guess I'd consider myself a "sporting" man. ;)
And having a body that's more in shape then 80% of the general population helps and makes me feel good... And that's what matters to me :)

Not talking about targets etc. but it's pretty clear to me that you're in the middle of beginner-gains territory, your age not-withstanding. You could 'clean bulk' from coke and chocolate bars right now.
Coke and chocolate bars...? Haha
I dunno about THAT! I'll give it a go...
;)

6'1, 155lbs, 44 years old, 31" waist, bf%...?
5rm Bench 160lbs
Hack squat 220lbs
Dead 230lbs
Chins Bw + 70lbs 5rm
Military 100lbs
All free weights

3 years ago, my bench started at 70lbs 10rm

P ratio... Which is what exactly..? Lol
@wungun,

Are the weights listed for Hack Squats, Deads and Military your 1rm or are they also 5rm?

Those are all my 5rm's...
Also, for regular squats... The first time I tried those was a week ago... I want to work up to at least my hack weight for those.

Why at 155 pounds at 6'1" are you in a freaking deficit? Other than your chins (which are probably good because you are so skinny), your numbers are light years from good. Quite frankly, I do not think you are in a position to give anyone advice. You don't learn by talking. You learn by listening. This is the type of crap you see on Bodybuilsing.com.

Why at 155 pounds at 6'1" are you in a freaking deficit? Other than your chins (which are probably good because you are so skinny), your numbers are light years from good. Quite frankly, I do not think you are in a position to give anyone advice. You don't learn by talking. You learn by listening. This is the type of crap you see on Bodybuilsing.com.
Harsh........LOL

O&G what are your thoughts on CBL (other than you cannot eat pizzas, cakes, cherry turnovers as suggested by John Kiefer), in other words what do you think of eating carbs at the end of the day as Borge Fagerli proposes in the Biorhythm Diet?

Last edited:
I eat three meals per day. Lot's of red meat and legumes. Limit simple carbs. Emphasis protein and good fats. No snacks unless hungry and then eat some plain roast beef or fruit. I do not back load anything. I don't follow any fad diet. If my weight goes to 195, I cut some calories to get it down to about 188...my self proclaimed ideal weight at 5'7 1/2". I eat pizza at least once per week. I do not eat desserts. I let my blood work tell me how effective my diet is. I don't weigh anything I eat or count calories. I use a mirror but no fat calipers or such devices.

Bryan and Borge have contributed more to my development than all other advice put together including some one-on-one training by a rather well known professional body builder. However, nobody but myself can determine what to eat and how much to eat and when. Nor can I tell anyone else what to eat, when and how much.

Harsh? Perhaps, but some threads that go on and on and never say anything of import get under my skin. Besides, being Irish I am licensed to be a curmudgeon. Plus it always put me in a mood to have a great workout. :mad:

Am I in a deficit?! Not really... I'm backloading. And been burning off fat since summer.
Why? Because that is how I'm built and I've only been serious about lifting for about a year... Total maybe 3 years experience. And as I mentioned, I don't want to be huge...
Good numbers?! Iam at where I am at... If I could lift more I would be! But my lifts are continually going up, so...

Wun, here are some "ideal weight" computations for your size assuming you are NOT muscular:

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 169.1 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 164.3 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 176.1 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 183.2 lbs
Based on the "healthy" BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 140.2 lbs - 189.5 lbs

It is now recommended that one aim for the high side of BMI as it overestimates fat in athletic or muscular people. And what happens if you get a serious illness? You'll waste away pretty fast. All your loved ones will see at your service is a shot glass partially full of ashes.

Eat to get strong. It takes more commitment and is much harder to get bigger than get smaller. Everyone, whether they admit it or not, would like for strangers they pass to say " Hey, did you see the arms on that guy?" rather than "That guy needs to eat more!"

Nuff said on this whole bloody thread. Not reading anymore nonsense. If someone wants to look like Justin Bieber, that is not my problem.

Hello Wungun.

Did you see my post a page back? The carb backloading book looks alot like a Jason Ferruggia book I read when I first got into intermittent fasting. It also proclaimed that you could eat more calories than you could dieting the "normal" way. The book was complete bull. Most of these people selling the intermittent fasting style books have ripped their information from Martin's leangains and completely bastardized it. Leangains is really one of the only sources I trust on the subject and it is totally free. Carb backloading is just another name that has been given to intermittent fasting as they are both essentially the same thing.

With my build (which I still believe is endmorphic) means I can't consume more calories and expect to lose weight. Meal timing doesn't seem to effect how I lose or gain weight. I choose to do intermittent fasting because it suits me not because I gain anything extra from it.

Just another note. I was also using intermittent fasting/carb backloading while I was doing my bulk at 3000 cals a day. I still gained a ton of fat though

Before CBL, before trying to cut fat, or any dieting, just eating normally, my weight was 175 to 178lbs...
Assuming that I've also lost some muscle along the way, that's a fair chunk of useless fat I was carrying, assuming of course, I don't get sick and die. Lol
And I look MUCH better now, than I did at 175...
People aren't saying "look at that skinny guy"...
Sure, they're also not saying how huge I am, but muscle definition, vascularity, proportions.... All look awesome right now.
I'm not trying to impress O&G or anyone else who only sees what I write...

@ charr
Lean gains looks identical to cbl... Apart that on lg you eat less carbs on off days while on cbl, you load up on carbs the night before workout...
Why is it you prefer LG again??

I must admit I don't change my carb values like he says. It's mainly the intermittent fasting that I take from it. What I like about fasting is that it freed me from believing that I had to eat 6 meals a day with protein every three hours in order to build muscle. Eating and training has been a lot simpler since.

Martin who runs leangains is a very smart fellow. I believe he is mostly responsible for the fasting way of eating combined with training. Most of these other books written by "gurus" that they try to market for profit have taken the information from him and tried to make it sound like it is this amazing thing that allows you to take in more calories then usual and still lose weight.

If it is working for you then great no need to change what you are doing yet. But with my body type I'm having to cut my calories low regardless of meal timing to lose weight

Jeez...I think I just gave O&G a stroke...lol
Do you think, at 6 foot 1 and 155lbs and 2500 or 2600cal a day, I'm in a deficit?
Do you understand the premise of CBL, whether you believe it works or not...?

Back