200, 300, 400, 500 - A quest for greatness

An argument about pullups vs. lat pulldowns came up at another forum, and the usual bro wisdom of "having to balance = good" came up.  I wrote the following post in that context.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'll try to explain how this works. I also realize everyone will ignore the truth of my statements because I'm a skinny labcoat or whatever, but it's comforting knowing I'm correct
tounge.gif

The reason a less stable exercise = &quot;more nervous system involvement&quot; compared to a more stable exercise is because the body itself is being called to help create stability. I think everyone is on the same page about this.

What's more, if you compare two different exercises at equivalent loading where one is stable and the other is less stable, the less stable one will show more recruitment of the prime movers.

However, it's also simultaneously true that less stability = direct inhibition of your prime movers by your brain. How can this be reconciled with the previous statement?

Simple - can you squat more with a barbell on your back on the ground or while standing on a bosu ball? The ground, obviously. Why? Because it's far more stable, and thus you are able to tap into a higher potential of the prime movers' (glutes, hamstrings, quads) force generating capacities. Your brain literally won't let you recruit those prime movers to their full potential if the movement is too unstable.

This is where zillions of people **** this up. Unless you intentionally lift lighter weights for fun, a more stable exercise = capacity for the main muscles that perform the movement to generate HIGHER levels of force. I.e. you can lift heavier **** the more inherently stable the movement is, and this is a direct product of the muscles performing the movement generating a higher % of their force producing abilities.

So the simple test is - what exercise allows you to move more weight through an equivalent ROM?

In the case of a pullup vs. lat pulldown, I doubt there's any enormous difference because even a pullup isn't that ******* unstable with a fixed bar, honestly.

If you want to test this principle out, compare your ability to dip with added weight on either a fixed dip station or using gymnastic rings.

You will be able to dip far more with the fixed dip station arms. Why? Because your CNS is inhibiting the prime movers (chest, shoulders, triceps) from doing their job in the gymnastic rings. You'll also notice your whole body shaking, initially, which is the &quot;increased nervous system&quot; stuff - i.e. more total muscles are attempting to &quot;keep you still&quot; due to the instability.

If you JUST use bodyweight, the gymnastic rings will be &quot;more stimulating.&quot; However, you can EASILY overcome this by simply adding weight to the &quot;normal&quot; dips.

That, in short, is why the entire instability = good argument is absolute horse ****.</div>

I consider Mikey's logic as common sense when it comes to exercise stability and work performed. Our muscles aren't designed to just push or pull.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, it's also simultaneously true that less stability = direct inhibition of your prime movers by your brain. How can this be reconciled with the previous statement?</div>

Isn't it less a case of inhibition of prime movers by the brain and more a case of the less well trained synergists and stabilisers quickly fatiguing to the point where further reps becomes impossible because balance cannot be maintained? So you just can't use your prime movers because you can't maintain a consistent path of motion. Maybe that's the same thing?! I can see that a conscious safety factor is involved too - you are not going to contract a prime mover really hard if doing so might suddenly shift your balance and cause a rapid shift in loading and possible injury.

It is interesting to me that I am much more aware of the strain on my prime movers when dipping with Oly rings than I am when I dip using dipping bars. Oly rings seem to increase the difficulty and perceived load by an order of magnitude.

Hey Colby, our muscles never push, they only pull!  
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 25 2008,12:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, it's also simultaneously true that less stability = direct inhibition of your prime movers by your brain. How can this be reconciled with the previous statement?</div>

Isn't it less a case of inhibition of prime movers by the brain and more a case of the less well trained synergists and stabilisers quickly fatiguing to the point where further reps becomes impossible because balance cannot be maintained? So you just can't use your prime movers because you can't maintain a consistent path of motion. Maybe that's the same thing?! I can see that a conscious safety factor is involved too - you are not going to contract a prime mover really hard if doing so might suddenly shift your balance and cause a rapid shift in loading and possible injury.

It is interesting to me that I am much more aware of the strain on my prime movers when dipping with Oly rings than I am when I dip using dipping bars. Oly rings seem to increase the difficulty and perceived load by an order of magnitude.

Hey Colby, our muscles never push, they only pull!  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
In essence, if the prime movers generated too much force, you'd lose balance/fall.

So the question is - what &quot;stops&quot; you from doing so? I.e. you can't just &quot;will&quot; yourself to generate that full force, so the idea is that there is direct CNS inhibition of the prime movers to prevent catastrophe.

I think the most critical part of my rambling was the point on stimulation at equivalent loading. Yes, at equivalent loading (e.g. bodyweight dips done on a dip stand or with gymnastic rings), you will &quot;feel&quot; stuff more and you are probably even providing a higher quality stimulus for the less stable exercise.

However, all you have to do to compensate for this on the &quot;stable&quot; exercise is lift more weight.

This, relatedly, is why the superslow people **** up the argument that slower = better.

At equivalent loading, I actually have very little doubt that &quot;moving more slowly&quot; might actually provide a higher quality stimulus, believe it or not. But this is superseded by the fact that you can lift more weight by trying to move it as fast as you can, even if the actual movement speed winds up slow as a result.

You CAN train your nervous system to send higher impulse signals to your muscles in order to get them to generate forceful contractions, and attempting to go slow for slowness' sake will simply handicap your strength potential.

Another day of testing maxes.  Things went pretty well.

Deadlifts - flat shoes (Adidas Samba's) + loose belt

I wound up working up to a slow but manageable single with 425, which is the most I've lifted since my competition days in 2006.  I was pretty pleased to be lifting this heavy again.

Bench - in an actual bench station with a spotter/handoff

I wound up working all the way up to 265 for a fully paused single after 245 and 255 felt light.  265 was a real grinder, but went up.

So, this is a 15 lb disparity by simply benching in a better bench station, which is kind of impressive.

Strict Press - belt + oly shoes

Doing these after maxing out in bench press might not have been the smartest idea ever, but I managed to get up to a single with bodyweight (165), which is cool.  If possible, this was even slower than the bench, but I still managed to grind it out.

Cable Rows

I rowed the stack, just for fun.

So, after one &quot;recovery&quot; cycle, my current 1 RM's stand at...

Squat - 325 (~80 lbs away from my long term goal)
Bench - 265 (~35 lbs away from my long term goal)
Deadlift - 425 (~75 lbs away from my long term goal)
Press - 165 (~35 lbs away from my long term goal)
Chins - 300 (I'm not really sure what my goal is here)

As I think I alluded to earlier, I spent the past week testing conservative maxes and then plotting what to do for my next cycle.

I decided it's time I finally jump in the deep end of the pool and experiment with ferrealz bodybuilding.  As such, I'm going to be performing a variant of Layne Norton's bodybuilding routine, as it's split by the same logic as previous routines I've done (i.e. work meant specifically for strength and other work specifically for hypertrophy).

The plan, in a nutshell:

Heavy Upper Body (lower volume, sets of 3's/5's)
Heavy Lower Body (lower volume, sets of 3's/5's)
off
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps (higher volume, sets of ~8-12)
Back/Biceps (higher volume, sets of ~8-12)
Legs (higher volume, sets of ~8-12)
off

Based on prior experience, the key determinant in overtraining for me seems like lower body stuff.  As such, having only one day per week where I'm actually squatting/deadlifting (the heavy lower body day) and one other day per week for other stuff (legs day uses lower back sparing exercises), I think I will be able to cope with the volume.  Even still, I am starting off cautiously.

Eating is going to be pretty big, averaging a bit over ~3700 kcals per day.

The plan is that everything is going to get cycled, basically.  I.e. I'm starting light-ish on both the heavy and hypertrophy days and scaling up loads over time, allowing my body to acclimate to the increased volume.

Heavy Upper Body Day

Bench

Warmed up to a paused 235 (light), then back down to 205 for 5 sets of 5, first reps paused.  This actually got pretty tiring, but I never risked failure.

I also noticed that it was actually easier to rep out with a bit closer grip (thumb's distance away from smooth/rough border), though I think my 1 RM strength is a little higher with a bit wider grip (pinkies just inside the rings).

Cable Rows

These got supersetted with the bench, 5 sets of 5 reps with 150 with a nice pause with shoulder blades retracted.

Strict Press - oly shoes

5 sets of 125 for 3.

Chins

Supersetted with the presses, 5 sets of me + 70 lbs for 3 reps.

High Rep Cooldown

Based on some interesting research of doing some lighter (~25-35 RM) stuff immediately after strength training to facilitate strength/hypertrophy, I performed a set of dumbbell incline bench for 35 reps with 25 lb dumbbells, and 30 reps in lat pulldowns with 100 lbs.

The key in these is not to risk failure, just go to a ridiculous burn.  It actually feels quite refreshing.

My exercise volume and selection is definitely going to be tweaked as I get used this routine, as I probably got a little ambitious by starting with sets of 5 across and such.

Squats - oly shoes + loose belt

Warmed up to 275 for a single, which felt light, then back down to 240 for 5 sets of 5.

Calling this &quot;easy&quot; isn't quite correct in that it was pretty tiring, but it felt lighter than anticipated.  Cool deal.

Deadlifts - oly shoes + loose belt + RDL

I definitely felt the effect of doing 5 sets of 5 across before my work sets of deadlifts today.

Went up to 315 for a couple of sets of 5 using straps, which was not &quot;omg hard,&quot; but reasonably difficult.

A backoff set of 245 for 8 in RDL's.  This honestly just felt awkward and almost a little weird on my back, probably because I haven't done this movement in like 6 months.  I didn't push this that hard due to form feeling a little off, and I think I'll just zap this out of my routine next week.

High Rep Cooldown

A set of 35 reps per side with bodyweight bulgarian split squats.  Mad glute pumps.

Now starts the most experimental time of my program, since I have no idea what weights I can endure for high reps.  Let's just say I tried to be extremely conservative and still managed to guess (very) wrongly.

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Dumbbell Bench

Four sets of 55's for 12 here.  Started extremely easy such that I was both going slow and fully pausing every rep of the first couple of sets, but was hitting failure by the last rep of the last set at a more &quot;normal&quot; cadence.  Yowsers.

Dips

This is where things went to hell.  I started with a set of 8 with just bodyweight.  I could probably do that with two plates hanging around me fresh.  Doh.

Then sets of 8, 9, and 12 guessing a few different settings and actually *gulp* using the little assisted pad to help me out.  I think I offset ~70 lbs to be able to do 12 pretty reps by the end.

Worth noting I did a set extra here from what I originally intended, so I subtracted a set from my last triceps exercise at the end.

Machine Flyes

Started with 40 for 12 reps, which is probably ~50% of my normal strength on one of these machines, and found this was even hard to complete, so I dropped to an absolute granny weight of 30 for the remaining 3 sets of 12 reps.

Hammer Triceps Machine

This thing is actually damn nice.

Anyways, one set of 12 with 20 per side, which was way too light, then a set of 12 with 40 per side, which was possibly still too light.

I'm not going to do shoulders (overhead press and lateral raises) til later, unless I feel like doing overhead presses with like 10 lb dumbbells or something.  Heh.

Seriously though, I find it perfectly fascinating how poorly I'm capable of sustaining high force effort across multiple, high rep sets.  I think this definitely &quot;means&quot; something.

edit: just finishing up the shoulders portion at home now.  Started ridicu-absurdly light.

Seated Dumbbell Press

25's for 4 sets of 12.

Seated Lateral Raises

10 lb dumbbells for 4 sets of 12 reps, fully paused at the top of each.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 01 2008,7:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dips
Then sets of 8, 9, and 12 guessing a few different settings and actually *gulp* using the little assisted pad to help me out.  I think I offset ~70 lbs to be able to do 12 pretty reps by the end.</div>
It takes a real man to admit using the weenie-assist pad...  
wink.gif

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 02 2008,9:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, a real man...

A real man who grows a mustache and wears tight leather pants</div>
Like the one in your avatar?
tounge.gif

<div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 02 2008,12:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dips

This is where things went to hell.  I started with a set of 8 with just bodyweight.  I could probably do that with two plates hanging around me fresh.  Doh.

Then sets of 8, 9, and 12 guessing a few different settings and actually *gulp* using the little assisted pad to help me out.  I think I offset ~70 lbs to be able to do 12 pretty reps by the end.</div>
Mikey,

If I understand correctly, for dips you did 8 reps with bw as a warmup and then sets of 8, 9 with an unspecified amount and then a set of 12 performed using 70lb less than the first two work sets. Is that right?

I have no idea about the little assistance pad or how it works but I'm guessing it's for folks who can't yet dip with their bw so it's somehow pushing up on you.

How long are you resting between sets?

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 02 2008,7:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 02 2008,12:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dips

Mikey,

If I understand correctly, for dips you did 8 reps with bw as a warmup and then sets of 8, 9 with an unspecified amount and then a set of 12 performed using 70lb less than the first two work sets. Is that right?

I have no idea about the little assistance pad or how it works but I'm guessing it's for folks who can't yet dip with their bw so it's somehow pushing up on you.

How long are you resting between sets?</div>
Haha, no, you are misunderstanding.

After the 4 sets of 12 in dumbbell bench, 8 reps with bodyweight is all I could manage in dips. It wasn't a warmup, it was a work set.

After that, even my bodyweight was too heavy to continue doing sets of 12, so I had to resort to using the little weenie pad to offset some of my weight. In this case, offsetting 70 lbs from me just to complete 12 reps.

I was noting how absurd this was since I am naturally &quot;good&quot; at dips and chins. As I said, with dips, I could probably do 8 deep, clean reps with 90 lbs around me fresh, but after the dumbbell bench, apparently 90 lbs had been subtracted from my strength, or worse.

Hence me being impressed just how deconditioned I am to multiple, high rep sets (with short-ish rest periods).

<div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 02 2008,2:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hence me being impressed just how deconditioned I am to multiple, high rep sets (with short-ish rest periods).</div>
How long was your average rest period, Mike?
Btw, what's the theory behind your experiment?

<div>
(electric @ Oct. 02 2008,1:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Oct. 02 2008,2:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hence me being impressed just how deconditioned I am to multiple, high rep sets (with short-ish rest periods).</div>
How long was your average rest period, Mike?
Btw, what's the theory behind your experiment?</div>
I didn't time the rest periods, just waited until I felt &quot;ready&quot; for the next set.

And my hypothesis is one I've written about in the past and I'm too lazy to write out again, but basically that the acute stimulus of lower volume, frequent training may not be enough to drive one or more of the processes behind growth (in particular, the satellite cell stuff).

Another day of weenie weights. I did singles in chins with me + 90 and then me + 115 to remind myself that I'm not actually a ***** before commencing with the pumps session.

Lat Pulldowns (wide grip)

4 sets of 105 for 12 here.

Neutral/narrow Grip Cable Rows

105 for a set of 12, then down to 90 for 3 more sets of 12.

Hammer Pulldown

4 sets of 40 per side x 12. This was probably too light.

Hammer MTS Row

4 sets of 40 per side x 12. A little better than the last, still a bit light.

Seated DB Curls

3 sets of 25's for 12 reps.

Standing EZ Bar Curls

A set of 60 for 12 reps with a fixed-weight straight bar (probably ~30 lbs under my actual 12 RM), then backed down to 50 for the remaining 2 sets of 12 reps. Ridiculous biceps pumps by this point.

Today I rediscovered the same principle definitely applies to my legs, too.

Leg Press (45 degrees)

One of the cardinal fitnesses near me has a Hammer Leg press that's actually damn nice, so that's cool.

Warmed up to 6 plates per side for a single, then back down to 4 plates per side for 4 sets of 12.

Like everything else, this started pretty easy, but by the last set, my legs were just gone.

Leg Curls

Starting with 105 lbs for 12, my legs were so zapped I wound up at like 65 lbs for the last couple of sets of 12. 4 sets of 12 in all.

Leg Extensions

70 for 4 sets of 12. This, at least, I guessed properly.

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

2 plates per side for 3 sets of 12. A hard calf stretch afterwards for like 60 seconds total.

I may do more calf work later, but I was having trouble figuring out the Hammer seated calf raise machine. I know that sounds retarded, but pushing my knees into the adjustable pads would make it tilt away from me and come &quot;loose&quot; (how all Hammer adjustable machines adjust).

Given the heavy/light split of the new setup, what will be your criteria for success or lack thereof? Not having done a lot of high rep stuff for a while probably guarantees that you'll improve some on that. Since you are starting close to or at some of your previous low rep maxes, you ought to be well set to progress there, I'd think.

Do you have specific 3 and/or 5 RM weights in mind that you'd like to exceed? If so, in what time frame?

I suppose you could add subjective criteria and/or actual measurements, but those have never interested me much in the absence of actual strength gains. Maybe you have different ideas there, though.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Oct. 04 2008,3:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Given the heavy/light split of the new setup, what will be your criteria for success or lack thereof? Not having done a lot of high rep stuff for a while probably guarantees that you'll improve some on that. Since you are starting close to or at some of your previous low rep maxes, you ought to be well set to progress there, I'd think.

Do you have specific 3 and/or 5 RM weights in mind that you'd like to exceed? If so, in what time frame?

I suppose you could add subjective criteria and/or actual measurements, but those have never interested me much in the absence of actual strength gains. Maybe you have different ideas there, though.</div>
The criteria for success will be actual muscle growth, primarily.

(Training that is not substantially sponsoring growth) + (overeating) = you mostly get fatter

(Training that is substantially sponsoring growth) + (overeating) = you actually put on substantial muscle

It seems extremely clear to me at this point that &quot;strength training&quot; that does not represent a sufficient acute stimulus is not capable of driving progress in muscle mass for many, many trainees.

It is also clear to me that the old mantra of &quot;get stronger to get bigger&quot; is fundamentally flawed, that adding substantial strength past some point requires growing substantially more, which facilitates you getting stronger, not the other way around.

Back