200, 300, 400, 500 - A quest for greatness

Finally got around to investigating what happened to your log at BR. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and the resulting discussion.

I see what you meant about having other stuff to finish before attempting to give what you and Blade were discussing in that BR "labcoat" thread a trial. Interesting setup that you're trying here as well. I'd think it should work well, as it seems to be so far.

I'm not so sure about applying the HST idea of progressive overload to RE work (using Westside terminology) though. It seems to me that if you're doing ME style work (your SST stuff) that you're already using heavier loading on the same muscle groups, so the gradually increasing loads in the "HST" or RE work are not providing a novel stimulus.

I'm doing a somewhat Westside style setup now (Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 method), and I figured that the heavy 5/3/1 (somewhat ME style) work was providing the progressive overload component, whereas the higher rep accessory work was providing the metabolic stimulus.

Of course I may be entirely wrong. I don't think anyone really knows how those things all work together. We know that progressive overload is important, a certain amount of volume / metabolic turnover is important, muscle protein synthesis is important, etc. How they all work together though in different training styles that have produced results for many is really hard to model.

Maybe if you're doing 3x the volume of "HST" work as "SST" work then progressive loading in the HST work is important even though you're already placing greater tension on the muscles with the SST work. My speculation though is that the effects of progressing the HST work is largely nullified by the heavier SST work. That doesn't mean that the HST work is not beneficial, just that using an HST style progression for it may not be so important. Increasing tonnage by adding a few reps a workout might help just as much as doing it by increasing the weights being used.

Enough rambling, it's getting late.
smile.gif

Much better day, perhaps my deload worked. Though my back still feels a little "meh."

SST

Squats

Warmed up to 285, back down to 265 for a set of 6 reps. I made myself perform an extra rep to punish myself for the missed, fifth rep last time.

I was having some hip shifting/GM issues on this set, but hey, this is still technically an all time PR (i.e. the most reps I've ever done with this weight before).

Bench

Warmed up to 235 for a paused single, then back down to 220 for a set of 5, first rep paused. I managed the fifth rep "by the skin of my balls," as the expression goes. Still, I hit it, which is good.

Chins

Warmed up with me + 125 for a single, back down to me + 102.5 for a set of 4.25. I attempted a fifth, but it was just not in the cards.

HST

For the HST exercises, I started using modified rest pause, terminating sets when rep speed noticeably decreases (i.e. stopping after the first grindy-ish rep), and waiting ~30 seconds between minisets. The notation would be (first set # of reps)/(second set # of reps after ~30 seconds)/etc

Leg Press + Calf Raises + Leg Curls

Leg Press - warmed up to 7 plates per side for 7/3 reps.

Leg Curls - 170 for 7/3 reps.

Calf Raises - 3 plates + 35 lbs per side for a set of 10 + 10 bottom half reps.

Hammer Iso Row + Pullovers + Seated DB Curls

Hammer Iso Row - 200 x 7/3 reps.

Pullovers - 175 x 7/3 reps

Seated DB Curls - 45 x 6/2/2 reps.

DB Incline Bench + Dips

DB Incline Bench - 75s x 7/3 reps.

Dips - me + 75 lbs x 8/2 reps.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Sep. 07 2008,1:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Finally got around to investigating what happened to your log at BR. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and the resulting discussion.

I see what you meant about having other stuff to finish before attempting to give what you and Blade were discussing in that BR &quot;labcoat&quot; thread a trial. Interesting setup that you're trying here as well. I'd think it should work well, as it seems to be so far.

I'm not so sure about applying the HST idea of progressive overload to RE work (using Westside terminology) though. It seems to me that if you're doing ME style work (your SST stuff) that you're already using heavier loading on the same muscle groups, so the gradually increasing loads in the &quot;HST&quot; or RE work are not providing a novel stimulus.

I'm doing a somewhat Westside style setup now (Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 method), and I figured that the heavy 5/3/1 (somewhat ME style) work was providing the progressive overload component, whereas the higher rep accessory work was providing the metabolic stimulus.

Of course I may be entirely wrong. I don't think anyone really knows how those things all work together. We know that progressive overload is important, a certain amount of volume / metabolic turnover is important, muscle protein synthesis is important, etc. How they all work together though in different training styles that have produced results for many is really hard to model.

Maybe if you're doing 3x the volume of &quot;HST&quot; work as &quot;SST&quot; work then progressive loading in the HST work is important even though you're already placing greater tension on the muscles with the SST work. My speculation though is that the effects of progressing the HST work is largely nullified by the heavier SST work. That doesn't mean that the HST work is not beneficial, just that using an HST style progression for it may not be so important. Increasing tonnage by adding a few reps a workout might help just as much as doing it by increasing the weights being used.

Enough rambling, it's getting late.
smile.gif
</div>
The SST stuff, by its nature, is low enough volume that it probably isn't going to meaningfully solicit hypertrophy gains on its own. Same idea for any &quot;ME&quot; work or strength work in general.

As such, I suspect that keeping the hypertrophy work progressively loaded is still the path of wisdom. Particularly because there's direct research showing that consistent increases in load keeps protein synthesis cranking along higher than keeping it the same.

Obviously, there's options in between (e.g. adding some volume as you suggested), but the path of keeping MPS as elevated as possible seems to be consistent increases in load, imho.

In the worst case scenario, I suspect that it will work no better than more gradual increases in load, and in the best case scenario, it will work better. I don't see how it &quot;hurts&quot; to do it either way, so to me the cost/benefit is in its favor.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Sep. 07 2008,6:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In the worst case scenario, I suspect that it will work no better than more gradual increases in load, and in the best case scenario, it will work better.  I don't see how it &quot;hurts&quot; to do it either way, so to me the cost/benefit is in its favor.</div>
Well, if the higher loads of the SST stuff means that the signaling from the HST stuff is more metabolic than tension related then it probably doesn't matter if you're a bit submaximal for a time. In which case doing it HST style and staying away from failure most of the time may help keep CNS fatigue at bay. You might get better results but still not know why.  
tounge.gif

I think that the use by Westside style training of separate types of training (ME/RE/DE) with different emphases in terms of CNS training, hypertrophy training, metabolic work, etc. has some big advantages. However, it makes it a lot harder to model and figure out why it works well, doesn't it?

I'm interested in how your modified rest pause stuff goes. I may give that a try for some of the (RE style) accessory work that I'm doing with Wendler's template. However, I'm used to paying attention to when I might fail and usually stopping a rep or so short of that, not 2-3. I'll have to start paying attention to when rep speeds slow, as opposed to when they might actually fail.

edit:
Forgot to mention your workout. Excellent work all around, but especially the chins. I'm fairly strong at weighted chins, but I think something like BW+85 for a couple of reps is the best I've done.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Sep. 08 2008,12:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Sep. 07 2008,6:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In the worst case scenario, I suspect that it will work no better than more gradual increases in load, and in the best case scenario, it will work better.  I don't see how it &quot;hurts&quot; to do it either way, so to me the cost/benefit is in its favor.</div>
Well, if the higher loads of the SST stuff means that the signaling from the HST stuff is more metabolic than tension related then it probably doesn't matter if you're a bit submaximal for a time. In which case doing it HST style and staying away from failure most of the time may help keep CNS fatigue at bay. You might get better results but still not know why.  
tounge.gif

I think that the use by Westside style training of separate types of training (ME/RE/DE) with different emphases in terms of CNS training, hypertrophy training, metabolic work, etc. has some big advantages. However, it makes it a lot harder to model and figure out why it works well, doesn't it?

I'm interested in how your modified rest pause stuff goes. I may give that a try for some of the (RE style) accessory work that I'm doing with Wendler's template. However, I'm used to paying attention to when I might fail and usually stopping a rep or so short of that, not 2-3. I'll have to start paying attention to when rep speeds slow, as opposed to when they might actually fail.</div>
As a thought, it's not just tension that matters, but tension-time, and that can be true independently of the accrual of a bunch of metabolic stuff.

Stated differently, HST = RE may still &quot;work&quot; in the sense that it's still about &quot;progressive tension,&quot; because the strength work is below some threshold of tension-time, and the HST work is above that threshold.

The semi-interesting thing about this hypothesis is that it means you could probably &quot;deload&quot; pretty well (in terms of restoring a hypertrophic stimulus) via low volume strength work (e.g. working up to a triple with a 5 RM, something like that). So you still get to &quot;SD,&quot; but you don't lose the neural/performance magic you accrued during your strength/hypertrophy training.

Another solid day.

SST

Deadlifts - oly shoes + straps

I decided to give straps another try for two reasons:

1) One can make a reasonably compelling argument that a double overhand style grip is less dangerous than an over/under grip, even if form is otherwise &quot;good&quot; for both. Mainly because you're avoiding the asymmetric stresses inherently imposed by the over/under grip.

2) I may start training at Cardinal fitness at some point with a buddy in the near-ish future, and they don't allow chalk. I could obviously still deadlift if I got used to straps.

As such, I pulled double overhand in my warmups to 275, then started strapping and warmed all the way up to 365, which didn't feel that bad.

I used to have real issues getting &quot;tight&quot; setting up at the bottom of a deadlift, but after watching that Rip video and practicing lately, it felt just fine. If anything, straps actually helped me focus a little more on what I try to for a &quot;clean&quot; pull (i.e. lock back into extension, chest/head up).

Backed off to 345 for a set of 5, which felt pretty. I considered going higher here, and left at least a rep or two in the bank, but decided I'd go for broke next week since it's my last day of the deadlift cycle.

Strict Press

Warmed up to 155 for a single, then back down to 135 for 5. This set of 5 felt easier than 132.5 for the set of 4 last week. Good deal.

Pendlay Rows

Warmed up to sets of 185 x 5, and 195 x 5. First set felt solid enough, the 195 was a little meh.

I have to be honest, I don't know if I like this exercise. I really have a hard time &quot;feeling&quot; it in the right areas, as it seems almost impossible to eliminate hip extension at even medium-heavy weights.

HST

Same as last time, modified rest/pause for sets of 10 total.

Leg Press - 7 plates + 10 lbs per side for 6/3/1.

Calf Raises - 4 plates per side for a set of 10 + 15 bottom half reps immediately afterwards.

Leg Curls - 170 + 1 increment for a set of 6/2/2.

Hammer Iso Row + Machine Pullovers + EZ Bar Curls

Hammer Iso Row - 205 x 7/3

Machine Pullovers - 187.5 x 7/3. This exercise is still causing a very weird pain sensation in my left biceps, so I may wind up ditching this at some point. It otherwise feels very good, actually - dunno what the **** the deal is here.

EZ Bar Curls - 105 for a straight set of 7 reps.

Incline DB Bench + Dips

Incline DB Bench - 77.5s x 7/3.

Dips - me + 85 lbs x 7/3.

Solid workout again, not that that is a surprise.

I find your thoughts about tension-time interesting, especially about low volume strength work possibly accomplishing the effect of an SD without losing the neural strength adaption.

Thinking back to the &quot;Five Myths&quot; thread on Lyle's forum, it seems that the closest to consensus on what volume is supported by research was about 30-60 reps per body part twice a week, or 60-120 per week. Reading the first posts in this log, you were talking something like a range of 5 or less to 15 per workout for the SST part, and 15-20 per workout for the HST part, or a total per week (given 3x/week frequency) in the lower to middle part of that range.

Looks to me like you're now coming near the low end of that for upper body and below it for lower body. For me to do that much volume (60-120/week) it'd have to mostly be from the rest pause stuff, as when I get near say a 5 RM I can't do too many reps or I won't last many sessions.

In light of recent discussions, what are your thoughts now about total volume? If you were starting a new run from scratch would you aim for similar volume, and similar distribution between the SST and HST (or rest pause) parts?

I don't mean to monopolize your log, I'm just finding the training talk to be very interesting.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Sep. 09 2008,11:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Solid workout again, not that that is a surprise.

I find your thoughts about tension-time interesting, especially about low volume strength work possibly accomplishing the effect of an SD without losing the neural strength adaption.

Thinking back to the &quot;Five Myths&quot; thread on Lyle's forum, it seems that the closest to consensus on what volume is supported by research was about 30-60 reps per body part twice a week, or 60-120 per week. Reading the first posts in this log, you were talking something like a range of 5 or less to 15 per workout for the SST part, and 15-20 per workout for the HST part, or a total per week (given 3x/week frequency) in the lower to middle part of that range.

Looks to me like you're now coming near the low end of that for upper body and below it for lower body. For me to do that much volume (60-120/week) it'd have to mostly be from the rest pause stuff, as when I get near say a 5 RM I can't do too many reps or I won't last many sessions.

In light of recent discussions, what are your thoughts now about total volume? If you were starting a new run from scratch would you aim for similar volume, and similar distribution between the SST and HST (or rest pause) parts?

I don't mean to monopolize your log, I'm just finding the training talk to be very interesting.</div>
If I did another run through, I'd probably use modified rest pause for the HST all the way through. Though we'll see how it goes over the next week and a half in terms of doability/overtraining.

As to total volume thoughts, I honestly don't know. I have conflicting thoughts about the subject in general. It seems clear to me that higher volume, within one's ability to tolerate it, SEEMS to lead to more mass gains.

Either way, however, it seems that rest/pause seems to yield a disproportionate stimulus relative to the volume, i.e. a little rest/pause is worth a LOT of &quot;conventional&quot; sets.

So it's possible, for example, that 15-20 rest/pause reps could be worth like 40-50+ reps of straight sets (total guesswork, but you get the idea).

Another pretty good workout.  Perhaps patriotically motivated?  I actually lifted at the gym I (theoretically) work at, which I haven't done in quite a while.

SST

Squats

Warmed up all the way to 295, then backed down to 275 for a set of 5 reps, tying an all time best.

This set actually felt pretty solid until rep 4.  Unfortunately, I had the safety arms set just slightly too high, so I actually clipped them on rep 4, which made me go up asymmetrically, which was rather disconcerting.

Rep 5 I had to cut depth to make sure I didn't die forever, and I'm not entirely positive I hit ferrealz parallel.  Also, as a consequence of not being able to fully harness the stretch reflex, I GM'd the weight pretty badly.

Good enough, though, perhaps I will simply repeat this weight next week.

Bench

Warmed up to 245 for a paused single, then went for glory and managed 225 for 4.5 reps, first rep paused.  Just could not get the last rep, sadly.

Still, not entirely far away.  For whatever reason, bench is still a bit lagged, most other stuff is about as strong as I've ever been.

Chins

Me + 105 lbs for 3.5 reps.  Lost another rep here with an increase in 2.5 lbs, possibly because my bodyweight keeps climbing.

HST

Leg Curls + Leg Extensions + Calf Raises

Leg Curls - 175 x 6/2/2

Leg Extensions - 100 x 10 done kind of slow motion-ish.  Leg press sucks at my gym, so I just did these.

Calf Raises - setting &quot;20&quot; for 10 reps, then 10 bottom half reps.

Seated Cable Rows + Lat Pulldowns

Seated Cable Rows - 170 x 5/3/2

Lat Pulldowns - 175 x 6/2/2

Dips + Incline DB Bench + Triceps Machine

Dips - me + 95 x 6/2/2

Incline DB Bench - 80s x 6/4 (not sure why I did it like this, just felt like it because I could)

Triceps Machine - 205 x 5/2/2/1

Just as a bit of a status update...

My weight is now pretty damn close to 165 lbs, which means I've probably gained like 12+ lbs in the past 5.5 weeks :-x

On the downside, my midsection is noticeably bigger.

On the upside, I am noticeably thicker everywhere - arms, back, chest, I think I even see a little more going on in my quads and calves.  I really should have taken some pre/post measurements because I'm guessing the differences would be impressive.

Also, my strength in everything but the bench press appears to be about as strong as it's ever been again, and for a ~5-6 week investment of time, that's pretty cool.  I've lingered around for MONTHS in the past at times trying to recapture top end strength, and this plan had me recover strength after a diet pretty damn fast.

The other bad news is that I might have a sinus infection or something going on, felt like **** today.  Hopefully I'll be recovered by Sunday to finish off my last scheduled week in this program, but if I need extra time off, what I'll probably wind up doing is either an abbreviated training week or just going ahead and testing conservative maxes now for my next cycle (which will be an upper/lower split, incorporating many of the ideas I've written about).

<div>
(mikeynov @ Sep. 13 2008,11:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just as a bit of a status update...

My weight is now pretty damn close to 165 lbs, which means I've probably gained like 12+ lbs in the past 5.5 weeks :-x

On the downside, my midsection is noticeably bigger.

On the upside, I am noticeably thicker everywhere - arms, back, chest, I think I even see a little more going on in my quads and calves.  I really should have taken some pre/post measurements because I'm guessing the differences would be impressive.

Also, my strength in everything but the bench press appears to be about as strong as it's ever been again, and for a ~5-6 week investment of time, that's pretty cool.  I've lingered around for MONTHS in the past at times trying to recapture top end strength, and this plan had me recover strength after a diet pretty damn fast.

The other bad news is that I might have a sinus infection or something going on, felt like **** today.  Hopefully I'll be recovered by Sunday to finish off my last scheduled week in this program, but if I need extra time off, what I'll probably wind up doing is either an abbreviated training week or just going ahead and testing conservative maxes now for my next cycle (which will be an upper/lower split, incorporating many of the ideas I've written about).</div>
Awesome Mikey! (apart from the bug; that sucks). I really hope I can get my strength and size back together as quickly once I am through cutting. I was hoping that two months would do it but you've managed it in six weeks or less.

Kind of a weird training day.

SST

Squats

Warming up on these actually felt good, and I went all the way up to 295 for a single.

Back down to 275 for a set of 5 again, which I got, again.

However, the set was just sloppy.  The last two reps, in particular, I was actually losing extension in my back a bit besides my GM tendencies.

Still, that I kept hitting depth and muscling it up is something, I suppose.

Bench

The last time I benched, I used a setup at the gym I work at that I actually really like.  At my &quot;other&quot; gym, I've never gotten a setup that feels particularly awesome, and it's always felt subjectively harder benching in the rack here.  Shittier benches?  I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, I warmed up to a paused single of 245, which felt okay, then back down to 225.  I wasn't necessarily counting on getting 5, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

The first 3 reps were okay, and then the fourth...I just stalled halfway up, unexpectedly, and couldn't grind my way through it.  Doh.  So this is a loss of a rep from the last time at the same weight, albeit a different setup.

Chins

Feeling annoyed at this point, I tried warming up with a single of me + 115, figuring my strength might be affected by some combination of borderline overtraining and recent sickness.

Surprisingly, 115 felt light enough that I just tripled it on the spot.  Last rep a little iffy (chin BARELY above the bar), but given my bodyweight, this is about as strong as I've been in chins.

HST

Leg Press - warmed up to 7 plates + 25 lbs per side for 5/3/2.

Calf Raises - 4 plates + 5 lbs per side for a set of 10 reps, and then 10 bottom half reps immediately afterwards.

Leg Curls - 170 + 2 increments for 6/2/2.

Hammer Iso Row + Machine Pullovers

Hammer Iso Row - 215 for 6/4.

Machine Pullovers - 200 for 6/4.  A little less biceps weirdness this time, which is good.

Dips

Since my bench appears to be stalling, I figured I would cut back on my pressing volume a little bit to see if I can encourage it to recover by the end of the week.

So, I just did dips at home, me + 100 lbs for 5/3/2.

I just got an awesome e-mail from on of my past trainees, which included the following passage:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">wherever your job path may lead you, i hope you keep this coaching side going in whatever way and keep inspiring people to do whats most important in life: drink whole milk and lift heavy ****.</div>

He gets it!

Only a so-so workout today.  I think I'm getting plain tired, which is fine, since I only have one more session left for this cycle (Thursday) before I deload for a week then come back the following week on a new program.

SST

Deadlifts - oly shoes + straps

Same deal as last week.

In this case, I warmed up all the way to 405 for a single, which was a little slow but okay-ish, then back down to 365 for 4. Feels good to pull 405 again.

My 365 for 4 set actually started off a little slow/awkward, I think due to a screwy setup (I had to shift my right foot out a bit at the top of my first rep, felt unbalanced).  My original intention was to hit 365 for 5, my all time best here with flat shoes.

However, given that heeled shoes serve as a mild deficit, I suppose this is a PR in a sense, as it's the most I've ever done with oly shoes.

Press - oly shoes

Warmed up to 155 for a single, which actually felt pretty good, then back down to 137.5 for 4.

I contemplated attempting the 5th rep, but had I gotten it (unlikely), it probably would have been ugly, so I just stopped the set there.

Hammer Iso Row

230 for a set of 5.

HST

Leg Press - these felt stronger than usual today, so I wound up warming up to 8 plates per side for 5/2/2/1.  All time PR here.

Calf Raises - 3 plates + 35 lbs per side for 7/5/4/4

Leg Curls - 190 for 4/2/2/2.

Hammer Iso Row + Machine Pullovers + Seated DB Curls

Hammer Iso Row - 220 x 5/3/2

Machine Pullovers - 212.5 x 6/3/1.  I was able to reduce the biceps weirdness by consciously trying to hold my left shoulder &quot;down&quot; (i.e. keep my left scapula depressed), as I have a tendency to &quot;hike&quot; that shoulder with overhead stuff.

Seated DB Curls - 50s for a set of 6 reps.

DB Incline Bench

I alternated these in today instead of dips, keeping the volume a little lower on presses again to try to reignite my lagging bench.

85s x 5/2/2/1.

Final session of the cycle. In some ways, a good day, in other days, eh.

SST

Squats

Warmed all the way up to 300 for a single. Felt decent.

Back down to 280 for a set of 5. A little sloppy, lost extension a bit on the last rep, but hey, this is an all time PR.

Bench

Here's the &quot;eh&quot; part.

Warmed up to 245, which was actually a little slow. 225 the first time around felt startlingly fast, which was weird. This makes me think I might be having technique issues holding me back.

Anyways, back down to 225 for a set of 4.5, first rep paused. I got 4 reps again, but the 5th wasn't that close. I really would have liked to get this for 5 to end the cycle, but oh well.

Chins

Me + 120 for 2.5 reps. No specific goal here, so this is fine.

HST

Dips + Machine Flies

Dips - me + 115 for 4/2/1/2/1. Strength in this is not quite what it used to be back in the spring either, so I feel like my pressing strength still isn't where I want it.

Machine Flies - 70 x 12 for funsies.

Seated Cable Rows + Lat Pulldowns (lat style)

Seated Cable Rows - 175 x 5/3/2

Lat Pulldowns - 180 x 6/2/2

Leg Curls + Leg Extensions + Calf Raises

Leg Curls - 180 x 6/2/2

Leg Extensions - 120 x 8/5/4/3

Calf Raises - setting 21 x 10/5/5

Cycle Results

Bodyweight: + ~12 lbs

Exercise/Goal weight (5 RM)/Actual result

Squats - 275 x 5 / 280 x 5 (+ 5 lbs)
Bench - 225-230 x 5 / 220 x 5 (- 5-10 lbs)
Press - 140 x 5 / 135 x 5 (-5 lbs)
Chins - 100 x 5 / 100 x 5 (0 lbs)
Deadlifts - 365 x 5 / 365 x 4 (-1 rep)

Overall, things were mostly good.  Didn't get QUITE as high as I wanted on certain exercises, but the &quot;point&quot; of this cycle wasn't really to break strength records (which I still wound up doing in squats), but rather to get my strength back in line.  In that sense, I'd have to say my cycle worked pretty well.

Today I tested some conservative maxes on squats, bench, and chins...

Squats - oly shoes + loose belt

I wound up warming up as follows...

135 x whatever
185 x whatever
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1
285 x 1
295 x 1
305 x 1
315 x 1
325 x 1 (all time PR in a &quot;normal,&quot; non-wide stance)

Cool deal, higher than I expected. I lost extension a bit on 325, but I absolutely buried it in terms of depth, so I'm pretty happy about it.

Bench

I think I figured out part of the setup problem. The &quot;flat&quot; bench I use really isn't flat, it's kind of a rounded pad.

At the gym I work at, they have a flat bench that is literally flat, like actual bench stations usually are.

Anyways, I wound up going up to 250 for a paused single, which was slow, but happened.

I may test bench again Thursday (when I will deadlift) in a normal station just to see what the disparity in setup is between a shitty &quot;flat&quot; bench in a rack and a handoff in an actually decent bench station.

Chins

Warmed up to me + 135 for a clean single, which is probably ~300 lbs or just over. Good deal, as strong as ever here.

I could have theoretically gone 5-10 lbs higher with lots of encouragement, but I think this is good enough based on my goals for this cycle.

Looks like fine results, Mikey.

I'm probably a bit out of it, as things are just recently back somewhat to normal here after Hurricane Ike. If I recall, though this was something like 6-8 weeks to basically get at or pretty close to your all time strength levels, after being very lean from your summer dieting. Sounds excellent to me. I'm curious and would appreciate if you'd refresh my memory as to how much your weight loss was and about how long you took to do it.

I'll be interested to see if you can bump up your lbm and strength past previous levels in the next cycle or two of your training.

BTW, I found that Crossfit discussion on high bar/low bar squatting pretty interesting. I've had the experience that Pendlay describes of having low bar squatting not seem to carry over to high bar squatting. At the time I thought it was because my PC was so weak that I couldn't use enough weight to challenge my quads with the low bar squats. I may do a litte experimenting to see if the high bar seems to carry over to the low bar squats like Pendlay indicated.

Back