2016 Log

How does the WG OHP hit your delts, Jester? Any major difference when compared to shoulder-width pressing?

How does the WG OHP hit your delts, Jester? Any major difference when compared to shoulder-width pressing?

Big time.

I’m weaker because it takes the triceps out of it by comparison, but I find it builds bottom-ROM strength like nothing else.

If I had more time for my sessions, I’d do a lot more sets but it’s always a lesser priority than anything PC.

DL; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, 250kg, 260kg@8, [email protected].

HBBS; 5-60kg, 3-100kg. Something about these is aggravating my SI on the left side. Guess lunges are the next direction.

Deficit hypers; 3-100kg, 6x3-110kg.

Pull-ups; 10x3, EMOM. I need to have better compliance for these. Might do more tonight.

Evening;
DL; 1-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, [email protected], [email protected].

Probably a bad idea to do this again but eh ... felt like deadlifting.

Last edited:
Probably a bad idea to do this again but eh ... felt like deadlifting.

Hey, when a man needs to pull, a man pulls. Nice work, sir.

In regard to the WG OHP - I get it. My OHP deltoid activation is something I've played with for years.

Ab-wheel; 2x10

DL; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, 250kg, [email protected], [email protected], 280kg@9. 290 wasn’t going to budge.

OHP; 5-60kg, 70kg, 3-80kg, 4x3-85kg@8.

Evening;
DL; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg@8, 270kg@9, 290kg@10.

Straight leg raise; 1x15

Conscious of the high volume week last week, not really hoping for 300kg this week, but another pull at 290 wouldn’t suck.

Last edited:
DL; 3-200kg, 1-225kg, 245kg, 255kg, 265kg@9, 275kg fail. Lower back fatigue at its apex this morning. Could’ve probably worked back up and given it a crack, but fought the urge and will hold off until Thursday (unless I crack and deadlift again tonight).

Pull-ups; 8x3, +10kg.

Cable rows; 8-80kg, 3x8-120kg.

I really need to be stricter in including these.

Evening; l
DL; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg@8, 280kg@9.

Made a change in setup steps and also of a sudden the erectors weren’t complaining even a little bit. So often it’s just the little things.

Last edited:
30min recumbent

OHP; 5-60kg, 1-70&g, 80kg, 85kg, 90kg, 95kg 1/2-fail.

Lat pulldowns; 2x8-80kg. Just stretch stuff out.

Ab-wheel; 2x10. Not sure if these are better before or after the workout. Maybe they assist in preparing time to brace harder when done in advance?

DL; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, 250kg, [email protected], 270kg@8, 280kg@9. Erectors/SI tightened a little and 290 wasn’t agreeing to budge without RPE 13.

WG OHP; 5-60kg, 8,8,7-70kg.

CG chin-ups; 8x3, +10kg. Am going to try doing these on my deadlift days. Will vary grip and load to (ideally) stave off adaptation for a while. The ‘stretch’ or extension value on the spine just “feels” great. Probably let’s me catch up on skipping upper back for a few weeks too.

Evening;
DL; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg, [email protected], 290kg- versa velcro apparently wasn’t tight enough on the 290kg and it gave. I’m still counting it because I had it to the knee with speed and I don’t miss lockouts, ever. Frustrating and satisfying at the same time, somehow.

Last edited:
Try this with the ab wheel... I can guarantee no extra loading is necessary.

Do two reps. On that third rep and every subsequent rep, stay at full extension for a slow count equal to the rep count. So, on rep three, you are fully extended for a 3-count. On rep 4, a 4-count. See how far you can go before the return trip doesn't happen. I do this test from time to time and the results are incredible both in a strength and endurance sense.

Try this with the ab wheel... I can guarantee no extra loading is necessary.

Do two reps. On that third rep and every subsequent rep, stay at full extension for a slow count equal to the rep count. So, on rep three, you are fully extended for a 3-count. On rep 4, a 4-count. See how far you can go before the return trip doesn't happen. I do this test from time to time and the results are incredible both in a strength and endurance sense.

All the reps are paused/held in extension already :p

I’m looking forward to loading it for the hypertrophic impact as well. Always thought the KK look was awesome.

Well @Jester, if you can get to rep 20 with a 20-count, you will be in a very lonesome company. I had powerlifters, strength athletes, strong man guys, and regular joes like me try this, and the furthest anyone got was rep 17. I tap out with consistent practice at rep 9. I pause every rep too - but that wrinkle of increasing the pause every rep is the very definition of evil.

Well @Jester, if you can get to rep 20 with a 20-count, you will be in a very lonesome company. I had powerlifters, strength athletes, strong man guys, and regular joes like me try this, and the furthest anyone got was rep 17. I tap out with consistent practice at rep 9. I pause every rep too - but that wrinkle of increasing the pause every rep is the very definition of evil.

I’m sure it’s bloody gruesome to go through it. But probably not ideal right before deadlifts ;). Sounds like a Friday night finisher.

DL; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, 250kg, 260kg@9. 220kg, 240kg, 260kg@9. Called it there. Erectors just toasted. May try again tonight. But I probably should just reduce volume and limit the 2nd daily sessions back to Monday and Friday. Hopefully reducing it over the next 1-3 weeks gives me a taper performance bump.

SG deficit hypers; 3-100kg, 4x5-100kg. SG making big ROM difference (obviously), but also makes the rep feel smoother (less like a partial).

WG neutral chin-ups; 3x5-bw.

Evening;
1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg, 280kg Gail. Erectors cramped and gave out. Probably overdue? Doesn’t feel like a strain. Might try some minor ROM stuff later before bed to keep it fresh.

Way way evening;
1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg@8, [email protected].

Put everything back into place, felt great.

Last edited:
Yesterday;

30min recumbent

Ab wheel; 3x5 - increasing pauses. Interesting protocol from @_tim . Will see they go for a while.

Back