Browners Log

Some very impressive lifts mate (just glossing over your workouts and being nosey)

Hope I can reach that kind of strength over the next couple of years

Thanks mate. I'm sure you'll get there. I switched into powerlifting just over a year ago, and just concentrated on the big compound movements and left out all the bodybuilding assistance stuff. A few programs that helped me are Canditos 6 week program, The Strength Athlete intermediate program and the RTS 9 week intermediate program. Also working on technique and bracing during the lifts helps.

I was tempted to try candidos program ... Can't believe such a tiny dude can be so strong, but his 6 week program looks solid.

I'm gonna stick with HST for a few cycles and see where it takes me ... But definately going to cut out all the assistance stuff and just base my next cycles around the big 5 lifts. Might add a strength program on the end of some of my cycles like you did early on with mascows.

I notice you log the rate of perceived exertion for each lift .... That seems a good way to keep fatigue levels at bay.

I was tempted to try candidos program ... Can't believe such a tiny dude can be so strong, but his 6 week program looks solid.

I'm gonna stick with HST for a few cycles and see where it takes me ... But definately going to cut out all the assistance stuff and just base my next cycles around the big 5 lifts. Might add a strength program on the end of some of my cycles like you did early on with mascows.

I notice you log the rate of perceived exertion for each lift .... That seems a good way to keep fatigue levels at bay.

RPE is a good way of measuring fatigue, and estimated 1RMs. It takes some getting used to, and I still dont think I have the accuracy of it spot on yet. There is some good information on the reactive training systems website on it, also Izzy from Powerlifting to win on you tube covers it quite well.

You'll still make some good strength gains on HST, as you have already. I started using HST purely for hypertrophy, then moved on to Stronglifts and Madcow type programs but I found these a little boring.

this mornings Session;

Squats
160kg x 2 @7RPE
165kg x 2 @8RPE
175kg x 2 @8.5RPE
180kg x 1 @8.5RPE
160kg x 2 @ 8RPE
160kg x 2 @8RPE

(Felt as though I was struggling to get good depth today, felt very tight in the hips)

Bench (Touch n Go)
120kg x 6 @ 7RPE
125kg x 6 @ 8RPE
127.5kg x 6 @9RPE

Close Grip Bench

105kg x 4 @7RPE
105kg x 4 @7RPE
105kg x 4 @7RPE

Some squats from today

Not enough pulling in this program?

I know, im feeling that too. I'm basically running the RTS 9 Week General Program as it is just to see how it goes and get my head around RPE's etc...

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?126-Generalized-Intermediate-Program

Only 2 weeks left of the program then im going to take a deload, and switch it up. Ive made a few tweaks here and there and missed some of the back off sets on the assistance movements, but tried to stick to the program as it is.

I haven't really enjoyed the program that much to be honest. I think RPE and auto regulation is great, but I havent really mastered figuring out my RPEs, feel pretty beat up, 1 beacuse of the amount of push and bench movements, and 2, because trying it hit 9RPE on most things as per the program means you're almost maxing out every session. Having said that my comp bench has gone from 140, to an estimated 1RM of 155.

After my max testing at the end of this I will have a deload, and run a high volume block, percentage based block with plenty of pulling on it for 6 weeks then that should give me about 6 weeks then to run a peaking block before the first powerlifting comp of 2017.

High Volume block will look something like, Mon -A, Tue - B, Thur - A, Fri -B;

A
Squat 3 x 12 (around 60% 1RM to start, increase through the weeks)
Bench 3 x 7 (around 70% 1RM to start, increase through the weeks)
OHP 3 x 12
Bulgarian squat 3 x 8-12
Lat Pull Down 3 x 8-12
Face Pull 2 x 12

B
Deadlift 3 x 6 (Tue start around 70% 1rm, Thur 60% beltless technique work.)
RDL 3 x 8
Chest Supported Row 3 x 8-12
Chin up 7 mins AMRAP
Hamstring Curl 3 x 12

I find that a lot of folks find RIT/reps on tank is a more user friendly auto-regulation quantifier.

And American programs love love love endless squatting and pressing.

I find that a lot of folks find RIT/reps on tank is a more user friendly auto-regulation quantifier.

And American programs love love love endless squatting and pressing.

Ive been trying to measure it as RPE 9 is one rep left, RPE 8 2 reps left etc... but still dont think I get it right, as I find myself trying to gauge it during the set, rather than the end of the set like I should. I personally prefer percentage based, as I have a number down that I know I have to do before I get in the gym.

I think auto regulation is great, but I guess its to much thinking for me that early in the morning.

Ive been trying to measure it as RPE 9 is one rep left, RPE 8 2 reps left etc... but still dont think I get it right, as I find myself trying to gauge it during the set, rather than the end of the set like I should. I personally prefer percentage based, as I have a number down that I know I have to do before I get in the gym.

I think auto regulation is great, but I guess its to much thinking for me that early in the morning.

Personally I do it like this;

-When I'm lifting, I determine RIT; it's just easier mentally when 400-600lbs is going places.
-I convert to RPE for recording purposes.
-If I could add up to 5kg and maintain the RIT/RPE, then I add a .5.

e.g. 7.5 means I had 2 reps in tank, but could hanks up to 5kg more before that becomes 1 rep in the tank.

I find % based programming to meet too restrictive, personally. And it's the bad days you need to account for most.

Personally I do it like this;

-When I'm lifting, I determine RIT; it's just easier mentally when 400-600lbs is going places.
-I convert to RPE for recording purposes.
-If I could add up to 5kg and maintain the RIT/RPE, then I add a .5.

e.g. 7.5 means I had 2 reps in tank, but could hanks up to 5kg more before that becomes 1 rep in the tank.

I find % based programming to meet too restrictive, personally. And it's the bad days you need to account for most.

I think I am going to stick to % based programs, however record the RPE also. That way I can still auto regulate, so if im having a bad day I can perhaps lower the intensity slightly and visa versa for those good days.

Shitty session this morning!

Deadlift
200kg x 2 @7RPE
210kg x 2 @8RPE
220kg x 1 @9.5RPE - This was supposed to be for 2 reps, but it moved so slowly!! I have pulled 240 in comp no problem and 240 in the gym countless times, however on this cycle, my deadlift feels weak as sh*t! Im hoping its because I train so early in the morning. I possibly could have forced a second rep, but would have been an absolute grinder, and the program today called for for a double at 9RPE.

here's a video of my poverty lift

Back off deadlifts

180kg x 2 (3 sets, all at about 8RPE)

Competition Bench
125kg x 2 @ 7RPE
132.5kg x 2 @8RPE
140kg x 2 @9.5RPE
125kg x 2 @8RPE
125kg x 2 @9RPE

High Bar Squat (Beltless)

120kg x 4 @6RPE
120kg x 4 @7RPE
120kg x 4 @7RPE
120kg x 4 @7RPE

Squats were probably easier than 7RPE, but I was to annoyed from the deadlifts to push any more weight

Only a couple of weeks left of this program, but thinking of taking an early deload, then switching it up to a high volume block for 6 weeks, then moving on to a peaking block that shold lead me up to my next comp.

Last edited:
I never find AM a good time for squats and deadlifts, I find I am at least 5-10kgs down on heavy loads and probably 2-3 reps down on lighter loads particularly on squats but not so bad on deadlifts but had to stop those as train in garage at home which is directly under my daughters bedroom as she moaned like hell being woken up with the sound of metal plates hitting the floor when doing deads

I never find AM a good time for squats and deadlifts, I find I am at least 5-10kgs down on heavy loads and probably 2-3 reps down on lighter loads particularly on squats but not so bad on deadlifts but had to stop those as train in garage at home which is directly under my daughters bedroom as she moaned like hell being woken up with the sound of metal plates hitting the floor when doing deads

To be fair, my PRs have always come during the afternoon or evening. After work I just want to get home see the ankle biter, if i train afterwork then I wouldn't be home before her bedtime. On the plus side if I cant start pulling big numbers that early in the morning, come comp days it should be a breeze.

After work I just want to get home see the ankle biter, if i train afterwork then I wouldn't be home before her bedtime

I know it was like that for me when the twins were younger, once they were in their teens I decided to set up at home and now I can train whenever I want and now my daughter is at Uni I can but still don't train legs first thing in the morning.

2ct Pause Squat
120kg x 3 @6RPE
130kg x 3 @7RPE
140kg x 3 @8RPE
145kg x 3 @9RPE
130kg x 3 @8RPE

Snatch Grip SLDL - Beltless
140kg x 4 @7RPE
140kg x 4 @7RPE
140kg x 4 @7RPE
140kg x 4 @8RPE

Lat Pull Down (Strict form)
5 sets of 12 @ 40kg

Was supposed to have another week on this program, then max testing but to be honest I haven't enjoyed this program, and I feel I have made no strength gains. It has left me feeling beat up and drained. I think that is because it is predominately working in the 2-4 rep range trying to hit RPE 9 every day on the main lifts which equates to 96% - 89% of 1rm and I dont think my body can handle it, especially training at 5:30am like I do.

Also I feel that there is not enough pulling movements to accompany the constant heavy pressing movements.

If anyone wants to try it, I do think its a good program in the main, and worth a go if you are getting into auto regulated training, or want to start getting accustomed to RPEs

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?126-Generalized-Intermediate-Program

I am going to skip the max testing, as I dont want to demoralize myself, and for the next 6 weeks starting Monday I am going to do a low intensity high volume block. Just to give myself a break from the constant heavy loads I have been doing for the last 7 weeks. Will look something like this;

A (Mon, Thur)
Squat 3 x 12 (around 60% 1RM to start, increase through the weeks)
Bench 3 x 7 (around 70% 1RM to start, increase through the weeks)
OHP 3 x 12
Bulgarian squat 3 x 8-12
Lat Pull Down 3 x 8-12
Face Pull 2 x 12

B (Tue, Fri)
Deadlift 3 x 6 (Tue start around 70% 1rm, Fri 60% beltless technique work.)
RDL 3 x 8
Chest Supported Row 3 x 8-12
Chin up 7 mins AMRAP
Hamstring Curl 3 x 12

Last edited:
Shitty session this morning!

Deadlift
200kg x 2 @7RPE
210kg x 2 @8RPE
220kg x 1 @9.5RPE - This was supposed to be for 2 reps, but it moved so slowly!! I have pulled 240 in comp no problem and 240 in the gym countless times, however on this cycle, my deadlift feels weak as sh*t! Im hoping its because I train so early in the morning. I possibly could have forced a second rep, but would have been an absolute grinder, and the program today called for for a double at 9RPE.

here's a video of my poverty lift

Back off deadlifts

180kg x 2 (3 sets, all at about 8RPE)

Competition Bench
125kg x 2 @ 7RPE
132.5kg x 2 @8RPE
140kg x 2 @9.5RPE
125kg x 2 @8RPE
125kg x 2 @9RPE

High Bar Squat (Beltless)

120kg x 4 @6RPE
120kg x 4 @7RPE
120kg x 4 @7RPE
120kg x 4 @7RPE

Squats were probably easier than 7RPE, but I was to annoyed from the deadlifts to push any more weight

Only a couple of weeks left of this program, but thinking of taking an early deload, then switching it up to a high volume block for 6 weeks, then moving on to a peaking block that shold lead me up to my next comp.

I have some thoughts on your deadlift technique, for whatever it's worth;

You're doing a round-back pull, with next to no hinge. Now this might be what works best for you, but I think there's room for more hinging, without question.

Pull that slack out an think 'long arms' in your set up.

And like most people not on drugs, I think you need more deadlifting in your program.

Thanks for t
I have some thoughts on your deadlift technique, for whatever it's worth;

You're doing a round-back pull, with next to no hinge. Now this might be what works best for you, but I think there's room for more hinging, without question.

Pull that slack out an think 'long arms' in your set up.

And like most people not on drugs, I think you need more deadlifting in your program.

Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by more hinging? And also how many deadlift sessions per week? I try and deadlifts ft twice a week. Thanks

Thanks for t

Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by more hinging? And also how many deadlift sessions per week? I try and deadlifts ft twice a week. Thanks

I'll try to deadlift 4 times a week, but for many/most I think at least 3 will be ideal.

Re:hinge - that was almost a SLDL.

Back