It just makes sense to me that stronger makes you bigger makes you stronger etc.

And some element of hypertrophy from a volume based routine will be more weighted towards glycogen & water than from a load based routine. No idea how that can ever be measured ofc.
What do you make of Greg Nuckols reasoning for doing more volume (taken from his Bulgarian manual)

"Once you max out those neurological
factors, you’ve simply got to grow. This is why training volume (the main driver
of hypertrophy) with adequate intensity (at least 65-70%1rm) is the crucial
factor for long-term success on a problem.

For this reason, when you hit a plateau, the way forward isn’t to strain harder
on your daily max, but rather to do more dropback sets after that daily max;
you simply must increase training volume to drive hypertrophy, and thus future
strength gains."

What do you make of Greg Nuckols reasoning for doing more volume (taken from his Bulgarian manual)

"Once you max out those neurological
factors, you’ve simply got to grow. This is why training volume (the main driver
of hypertrophy) with adequate intensity (at least 65-70%1rm) is the crucial
factor for long-term success on a problem.

For this reason, when you hit a plateau, the way forward isn’t to strain harder
on your daily max, but rather to do more dropback sets after that daily max;
you simply must increase training volume to drive hypertrophy, and thus future
strength gains."

I generally agree, but once you do get stronger I think you then back off the volume until you need it again. It’s a plateau-solver, in a sense.

Friday;

Deadlift (On a deadlift bar - HATE them, just dont feel like I can get any kind of leg drive from them.)
180 x1
210 x1
235 x1 @7
250 x1 @9.5
220 x2 @8

Squat
170 x1
180 x1 @7
190 x1 @7.5
200 x1 @8
205 x1 @8.5
207.5 x1 @10

This morning
Squat
180 x1
195 x1 @7.5
205 x1 @8.5

Bench
140 x1
150 x1 @7.5
160 x1 @10 - Foot slipped so basically a no leg drive bench press.

Deadlift (80% for 5 singles)
210 x1x5 @sub6

After comp. although bulgarian method has worked quite well, especially for bench, I think I'm going to have a couple of weeks of just doing whatever I feel like doing when I get to the gym, I might also do a few Olympic movements. Not the full lifts but parts of them like power cleans, snatch balance, push jerks, hang cleans etc...

After that I'll most likely go back to the HFHI style training.

Be nice not to have to get under a heavy barbell every day.

Friday;

Deadlift (On a deadlift bar - HATE them, just dont feel like I can get any kind of leg drive from them.)
180 x1
210 x1
235 x1 @7
250 x1 @9.5
220 x2 @8

Squat
170 x1
180 x1 @7
190 x1 @7.5
200 x1 @8
205 x1 @8.5
207.5 x1 @10

This morning
Squat
180 x1
195 x1 @7.5
205 x1 @8.5

Bench
140 x1
150 x1 @7.5
160 x1 @10 - Foot slipped so basically a no leg drive bench press.

Deadlift (80% for 5 singles)
210 x1x5 @sub6

The trick with deadlift bars (obviously in my opinion), is to picture it as a block pull. If you watch a Rubish or Tom Martin pull on a deadlift bar, they’re basically breaking just below the knee.

But they’re basically cheating anyway in that respect :D

After comp. although bulgarian method has worked quite well, especially for bench, I think I'm going to have a couple of weeks of just doing whatever I feel like doing when I get to the gym, I might also do a few Olympic movements. Not the full lifts but parts of them like power cleans, snatch balance, push jerks, hang cleans etc...

I’m feeling like giving daily deadlifting another crack actually.

The trick with deadlift bars (obviously in my opinion), is to picture it as a block pull. If you watch a Rubish or Tom Martin pull on a deadlift bar, they’re basically breaking just below the knee.

But they’re basically cheating anyway in that respect :D

I think it is a skill acquisition thing. If I was to compete on one I'd probably use it all the time and then get the benefits of it. Only used one a handful of times and I think 'timing' of initiating the pull is key.

I’m feeling like giving daily deadlifting another crack actually.
Im just looking forward to training really easy for a few weeks and just have fun in the gym. Then will be back chasing that elusive 500lb squat!!

Ah great idea man, I highly recommend everyone do this. After a big cycle to just do whatever comes to mind for a couple of weeks, it's alot of fun and allows you to try new exercises, methods etc. Have fun!

Going to go with

Squat
1st 195
2nd 207.5
3rd 215

Bench
1st 150
2nd 157.5
3rd 165

Deadlift
1st 240
2nd 255
3rd 265

2nd and 3rd attempts may change depending on how things go on the day.

Leave a little in the squat tank for 170 bench?

Leave a little in the squat tank for 170 bench?

I am playing it a bit conservatively because the fed im with can be overly strict on depth, meaning you have to bury it far deeper than you need to. and the bench commands can take an age, from the start and press commands.

if the bench commands are nice and snappy then I may go 150, 160, 170 - We'll see ;)

Squat is always my weak link so would love to just make all three attempts and walk of with a comp PR.

So Saturday weigh in is 8:30am and my flight time isn’t until early afternoon...

...any ideas on how to pass the time?

Back