Cutting with HST

I've read this as well....there is a wide range of what is considered healthy t levels by most doctors. You most likely want to be in the upper end of the spectrum, but if you're not, it's highly unlikely a physician would prescribe therapy if you still fall within that range.
Good luck
I might just get mine checked for shits' n ' giggles !

Is there any situation where eating too few calories will stop the body from losing weight? Might sound like a stupid question. But I remember reading on Borge's website. He said something similar.

If my maintenance is 2700 - 2900 is going to 2000 too low?

The RFL diet has low calories which seems to work though

Last edited:
I would think you'd have to go a lot lower than that to elicit a kind of response from the body to put it in a state of "survival at all costs". But regardless, you'd still lose weight...just maybe not the kinda weight youd want.

There is no situation where eating too few calories will prevent weight loss. See the starvation studies. When in a controlled environment, EVERYONE in the study lost significant weight.

What about fatloss and not general weight loss? Is there a situation where consuming more calories (still below maintenance) results in more fat loss and less tissue loss?

Another question. Which has the greatest impact on loss of strength. Not consuming enough calories post workout? Or not consuming enough calories the day before the next workout?

The IF calculator has you consuming more calories on workout day (close to maintenance, or over maintenance depending on how fast you want fat loss) and then less calories the day after.

Would doing it this way have preserved more strength while causing fat loss?

Thanks

edit:
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ This is the calc I'm talking about (can I post links?)

It calculates my maintenance at 2900 calories workout out 3 times a week. That seems a little high.

For fast fat loss it reccommends around 2600 calories on workout days and 2000 calories on non workout days. According to that fat loss should be 1.20lb per week.

For slower fat loss it recommends eating above maintenance workout days and below maintenance non workout days

Last edited:
At the end of the day it comes down to calories in v calories out, eating more protein will help with muscle loss in a cut.

My preference is to eat similar number of calories daily with a larger percentage eaten post workout.

Last edited:
I also consume most of my calories post workout, as most of you already know...
As for fat loss, I'm under the impression fasted lifting is the way to go... But I assume IF protocol still has you consuming most calories post workout?
CBL I'm never wanting for strength or energy when it comes time to workout.

I eat when I want to or am hungry or have the opportunity. I have eaten from 2,000 to 6,000 calories per day at various times throughout the last several centuries. What you eat is far more important than when you eat. The amount is dependent on your goals. Assuming, of course, you have enough T to help cells multiply and grow. I define enough T as no less than 800 ng/dl if you want to grow. 300 ng/dl may fall within "acceptable" levels but it won't help create muscle. Most of the skinny-fat people you see suffer from inadequate T. Start with the basis of muscle growth or else all your planning and grunting can be for little results. And do not confuse monitored T supplementation with steroid abuse. My prediction is that within 10 years, T replacement therapy will be as acceptable as insulin is for diabetics or synthroid is for those with under active thyroids is today. It just takes a younger generation of more informed doctors.

What about fatloss and not general weight loss? Is there a situation where consuming more calories (still below maintenance) results in more fat loss and less tissue loss?

Another question. Which has the greatest impact on loss of strength. Not consuming enough calories post workout? Or not consuming enough calories the day before the next workout?

The IF calculator has you consuming more calories on workout day (close to maintenance, or over maintenance depending on how fast you want fat loss) and then less calories the day after.

Would doing it this way have preserved more strength while causing fat loss?

Thanks

edit:
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ This is the calc I'm talking about (can I post links?)

It calculates my maintenance at 2900 calories workout out 3 times a week. That seems a little high.

For fast fat loss it reccommends around 2600 calories on workout days and 2000 calories on non workout days. According to that fat loss should be 1.20lb per week.

For slower fat loss it recommends eating above maintenance workout days and below maintenance non workout days

Read the RFL book already ... watch the video I linked. Go and read Lyle McDonald's forums ...

Also ... calculators are only good for getting into a ballpark figure. They are not precise in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for the responses. It's not really the answers to the questions I'm looking for though.

On RFL jester Lyle is aiming for about 20lbs of weightloss and 4 - 7lbs of fat loss in the 2 weeks. Strength must suffer greatly on this.

I'm talking about is there a way to maximize the retention of strength while maximizing fatloss (not weightloss) by eating more calories on training days and then fewer on non training days while still being in a deficit?

I would say that there is very little difference for me between training fasted (i.e. training at 6am) and training at the end of the day (6pm) in terms of strength but there is a difference in energy levels (more tiring for me early in the day), but if you want to eat more calories one day than the next then consume more calories for the 24 hour period immediately following a training session rather than thinking in terms of training / non training days.

edit: In other words your food day starts after you workout (rather than when you wake up) and treat the following 24 hours as your higher calorie day then reduce calories in the following 24 hours, this is of course assuming you train every other day at the same time etc. In my case training 5/6 days per week I just keep calories constant!!

Last edited:
@charr - you are going to lose strength whilst cutting. Every human being in the history of the planet is affected by this. Those that aren't either;

a) Are chemically enchanced
b) Are cutting at an immensely slow rate
c) End up not losing any substantial amount of fat because they weren't actually cutting

Just suck it up and get your strength back when you return to a new maintenance level.

I hate to say it,but I had no issues with strength while dropping 10-14lbs of fat...my strength actually went up.

I hate to say it,but I had no issues with strength while dropping 10-14lbs of fat...my strength actually went up.

Newbie phase people can do that. At charrs strength level, strength loss will happen during a cut. However, it's usually temporary.

Can we find a different term besides newbie? Lol. I have been lifting for 3 years now :p
Novice perhaps... Or rookie! Lol

Length of time means nothing. See the strength standards on exrx. People in the novice category for strength can do a lot of things that intermediate and above cannot.

Back