"Eating fat makes you fat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
<div>
(Martin Levac @ May 24 2008,5:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">We have an almost unlimited capacity to store it as fat. And so the most obvious effect of eating carbs is obesity.</div>
Without even going into half the other false arguements, why dont you show the quantitative evidence of how much carbs is turned into fat.

Whole, multi-grain, fresh baked bread, slightly toasted with melted margerine on top.....a great tasting healthy source of carbohydrate energy, mmmmm.
cool.gif
I still eat carbs when I diet for fat-loss. I just keep them under a maximum caloric intake. It makes dieting more sane and healthy than extreme no-carb routes.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 24 2008,2:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...
I still eat carbs when I diet for fat-loss. I just keep them under a maximum caloric intake. It makes dieting more sane and healthy than extreme no-carb routes.</div>
In what way is it more sane and healthy that an extreme no-carb route?

Avoiding questions again? I'd like you to answer Aaron on that one. Our entire world lives on carbs. Supersize them and they supersize you. Balance macros and balance the body. Simple.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 24 2008,8:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...
Our entire world lives on carbs.
...</div>
That's an assumption. You can't possibly know what the entire world lives on. On the other hand, considering the number of overweight adults in the US (66%), it's safe to say that at least 66% of the adult population in the US is indeed living on a high carb/low fat diet.

Thats right Martin, all the overweight people are on a high carb, LOW FAT diet. Or maybe it's really a high carb, high fat diet with little physical activity.

I think the figure makes perfect sense. Whatever carbs that cannot be stored as glucose or be used as fuel goes into de novo fat synthesis. Glycogen depletion will alter the amount of carbs we can ingest before the 'bucket' spills over. I know the actual mechanism is a little more complex than that.

Why not alternate a high fat/low carb diet with a high carb/low fat diet every other day or every other week (but that may cause the 'spillover-effect') for minimum de novo fat synthesis? Do a high carb day after you have depleted your glucogen stores (by fasting or exercise or low carb diet).

Edit: This may also answer why the one-meal-a-day-makes-you-fat-hypothesis may be off target (Jeff Anderson is incorrect in his description). IF works even if you eat a lot of carbs at one sitting. It is not until you really max out (pig out) that the RQ might be exceeded.

<div>
(nkl @ May 24 2008,3:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...
Why not alternate a high fat/low carb diet with a high carb/low fat diet every other day or every other week (but that may cause the 'spillover-effect') for minimum de novo fat synthesis? Do a high carb day after you have depleted your glucogen stores (by fasting or exercise or low carb diet).
...</div>
That's a good description of Lyle McDonald's UD2.0. I don't know how effective it is at fat loss or lean gain. But I know it causes constant weight fluctuations as water is taken in on carb up days and water is excreted on depletion days.

I weighed in at 184 before starting week one of the diet...
I weighed in at 176 on the day of the carb up (fully hydrated, but supposedly glycogen depleted)
I weighed in at 184 after the carb up

BUT...I'm using the variant of the diet for bulking, which means my calories are at ~maintenance on low carb days, instead of the half-maintenance he recommends.

BUT...despite the return of all the 'lost weight' (which we all know is water that went bye bye with glycogen)..seems my waist has shrunk a bit over half an inch. I'll keep re measuring that to make sure its not a fluke.

Talk about mood swings on a diet though...jeez. Never thought I'd be so miserable with panera bagels in my mouth haha.

The figure also tells us that a meal plan with 5-6 meals evenly spaced out throughout the day, heavy on the carbs, may be causing some fat gain (not to mention locking up the fat). Of course you do not eat up to 250 grams of carbs per meal every day, but it is still possible. Lowering the carbs per meal will limit the fat gains. Or IF.

I'm not sure what happens after 16 hours (I have not read the referenced article), 11 hours after the last meal, but that might be some GNG kicking in. Not sure though.

Martin,

The videos you posted talked a lot about high cholesterol and low cholesterol causing high rates of heart disease. Being thin cannot be the only measure of health, or guys like David Letterman wouldn't have had a triple bypass or whatever. There needs to be some way to measure the effects of our diet on health.

An interesting thing I was told by an old diabetic biker...skinny guy...he said to just look around wherever you are, and see how many OLD FAT people you see. And how many old skinny people you see. It's amazing at first. I'd say that's ONE indicator of diet over health.
Death.

<div>
(nkl @ May 25 2008,9:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think the figure makes perfect sense. Whatever carbs that cannot be stored as glucose or be used as fuel goes into de novo fat synthesis. Glycogen depletion will alter the amount of carbs we can ingest before the 'bucket' spills over. I know the actual mechanism is a little more complex than that.</div>
you also have to examine net fat balance to get a clearer picture of the situation.

Looking at the original papers is far nicer than the text book.

<div>
(soflsun @ May 24 2008,7:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Martin,

The videos you posted talked a lot about high cholesterol and low cholesterol causing high rates of heart disease. Being thin cannot be the only measure of health, or guys like David Letterman wouldn't have had a triple bypass or whatever. There needs to be some way to measure the effects of our diet on health.</div>
I think there is. Hba1c. It's a hemoglobin that's been corrupted by glucose or some other form of sugar such as fructose. It's a good indication of long term average blood glucose level. When a protein is corrupted, the correct term is glycated, it doesn't work as it's supposed to and sometime can act in a destructive manner. But there may be more ways than one.

I can't remember where I read this but apparently, centenarians have a few things in common. Low blood glucose level, low insulin level and low triglycerides level. If good health leads to longevity, then these things should be a product or a cause of good health.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ May 23 2008,11:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ May 24 2008,5:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">We have an almost unlimited capacity to store it as fat. And so the most obvious effect of eating carbs is obesity.</div>
Without even going into half the other false arguements, why dont you show the quantitative evidence of how much carbs is turned into fat.</div>
He is a charlatan. Forget it.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ May 22 2008,6:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ May 22 2008,4:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">martin talks nonsense-ignore him. I read two of the papers he refers to about glaucoma and one about fat metabolism. He does not know how to read and comprehend scientific literature.</div>
I could say the same about you. But I don't. Because I'm polite. Unlike you.</div>
I don´t post quasi-science and I don´t post absolutely sophomoric analysis´ of scientific literature. I don´t continue to post almost nonsensically understanding of human physiology.

Statements like ...&quot;glucose is toxic...&quot; demonstrates to me your Oprah understanding of metabolism.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 25 2008,2:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ May 22 2008,6:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ May 22 2008,4:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">martin talks nonsense-ignore him. I read two of the papers he refers to about glaucoma and one about fat metabolism. He does not know how to read and comprehend scientific literature.</div>
I could say the same about you. But I don't. Because I'm polite. Unlike you.</div>
I don´t post quasi-science and I don´t post absolutely sophomoric analysis´ of scientific literature. I don´t continue to post almost nonsensically understanding of human physiology.

Statements like ...&quot;glucose is toxic...&quot; demonstrates to me your Oprah understanding of metabolism.</div>
Like I said, I could say the same about you. But I don't. Because I'm polite. Unlike you.

Over the past two days I have ridden 110 km and climbed about 3000 meters.
I burned abut 5000 cals from the ride plus the baseline of 3600 cals (1800 per day)
My weight has gone from 78 to 76 kg. (I´m 8% body fat)
two pieces of cake soaked in honey (about 100grams)
I drank 4 liters of water total
I ate two snickers bars
150 g halva

The above was during the ride. below was breakfast and dinner for two days

20 eggs
250 grams pistachios
600 grams raspberries
100 grams walnuts
100 grams prunes
150 grams lean roastbeef
110 grams beef jerky
can of tuna