Favorite Bulking Foods

Why must you exxagerate this?Have you seen a helluva lot of ppl dropping dead on their couch while going through bags of peanuts?The lectin stuff is in the domain of theoretical wanking:it may do this, it does that in animals etc. It`s not fact. I`ve eaten a kilo of peanuts in one sitting, and aside from some undigested bits causing grief on the way out, I had about zilch issues. Yes, it was stupid, no, I do not think eating a kilo of peanuts is a good think to do, no, it will not make your blood turn to glue. Really.

I mean, theory is interesting, conjecture too, but let`s use some common sense now and again...peanuts have been eaten for ages without causing blood glueing. Did Cordain push this anti-peanut idea?

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ May 15 2007,08:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why must you exxagerate this?Have you seen a helluva lot of ppl dropping dead on their couch while going through bags of peanuts?The lectin stuff is in the domain of theoretical wanking:it may do this, it does that in animals etc. It`s not fact. I`ve eaten a kilo of peanuts in one sitting, and aside from some undigested bits causing grief on the way out, I had about zilch issues. Yes, it was stupid, no, I do not think eating a kilo of peanuts is a good think to do, no, it will not make your blood turn to glue. Really.

I mean, theory is interesting, conjecture too, but let`s use some common sense now and again...peanuts have been eaten for ages without causing blood glueing. Did Cordain push this anti-peanut idea?</div>
Who is exaggerating? If you think it is nonsense, eat a whole peanut farm for all I care. Noone is going to die from eating a kilo of peanuts at one sitting. But as with low doses of radiation over long periods of time, the effects will be seen.

Peanuts have not been eaten for ages and even if they were, it would not mean they are healthy.

Peanuts are like radiation now?And if something has been eaten for ages, and hasn`t killed anyone,nor has it been linked by irrefutable proof with causing significant, if any, damage, does that not tell you that it`s safe for consumption?Again, is Cordain pushing this peanuts will glue your blood thing?

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 15 2007,15:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">post a study dr.peanuts to back up your argument because it sounds like bullshti to me.</div>

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 15 2007,15:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">post a study dr.peanuts to back up your argument because it sounds like bullshti to me.</div>
I am as much a dr. of peanuts as you are a scientific muscle. I am, however, a doctor of biology.  I simply posted something about lectins. You are free to research it, if you want, or eat a truck frull of peanuts.

good luck

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ May 15 2007,15:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Peanuts are like radiation now?And if something has been eaten for ages, and hasn`t killed anyone,nor has it been linked by irrefutable proof with causing significant, if any, damage, does that not tell you that it`s safe for consumption?Again, is Cordain pushing this peanuts will glue your blood thing?</div>

No peanuts are not like radiation and I did not write this. Maybe English is not your first language. As the EFFECTS of low doses of radiation, which over time cause various genetic mutations which may or may not lead to cancer, so too can low doses of almost ANY substance over time show their effects, be they positive or negative, but which escape immediate detection. Eat an ounce of peanuts everyday for 20 years and get back to me with a blood profile.

There are very few apodictic truthes, by the way.

I am glad you have done the research to determine the causes of deaths of billions of people who may have eaten peanuts.

and no Cordain is not pushing.

There is a plethora of info on lectins both good and bad. A simple google will keep you busy for a few years, as lectins have been studied rather extensively.

I found some studies about peanut lectin agglutination, but nothing about health problems associated with it. (unless you have peanut allergies or are lectin-intolerant, which most people are not)

It sounds like some pseudo-science from the paleo-diet.

I did find this recent article:
peanuts

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 15 2007,16:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ May 15 2007,15:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Peanuts are like radiation now?And if something has been eaten for ages, and hasn`t killed anyone,nor has it been linked by irrefutable proof with causing significant, if any, damage, does that not tell you that it`s safe for consumption?Again, is Cordain pushing this peanuts will glue your blood thing?</div>

No peanuts are not like radiation and I did not write this. Maybe English is not your first language.  As the EFFECTS of low doses of radiation, which over time cause various genetic mutations which may or may not lead to cancer, so too can low doses of almost ANY substance over time show their effects, be they positive or negative, but which escape immediate detection. Eat an ounce of peanuts everyday for 20 years and get back to me with a blood profile.

There are very few apodictic truthes, by the way.

I am glad you have done the research to determine the causes of deaths of billions of people who may have eaten peanuts.

and no Cordain is not pushing.

There is a plethora of info on lectins both good and bad. A simple google will keep you busy for a few years, as lectins have been studied rather extensively.</div>
I think I`ve stated before that English is not my first language?Is it relevant?And I built my argument that way intentionally, because I find that your comparison is ill-constructed:we know, beyond doubt, that radiation has additive detrimental effects, depending on its intensity. We don`t know, beyond doubt, that lectins turn ones blood to glue. It`s a wank back and forth in terms of research, it`s not set in stone.

But anyway, some subjects are seemingly religious to you, so I`d rather not debate them because no constructive outcome is likely, and I do find your contribution to be most interesting when you`re not on a subject that stirs this religious fervour, and as such I`d rather not cause you further grief on this. The funny part is that since I`m six weeks out, I can`t touch peanuts(because I`d likely eat more than I should), and I really crave them badly...so I should not stir my cravings further.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 15 2007,02:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ May 14 2007,23:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ May 12 2007,10:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">peanuts contain a substance, lectin, which is basically a blood glue. They use it in animals to cause clogging of the arteries. Stick with walnuts and almonds.</div>
So far, everything I've found online says this isn't true.</div>
Keep looking.</div>
That was supposed to be your cue to kinda, you know, give me some links to check out or something.
The links I found so far say that agglutination only occurs on slides where the cells have been stripped of thier acid coating, but that was just a statement from some doctor, so... I need more to read.

I live in Georgia, where we grow two things: Peaches and Peanuts.
Thousands of very old folks enjoy these inexpensive little nuggets for years on end, and have been doing so since childhood. Their blood may be goo, but they just won't lay down and die! My great grandaddy was a pnut farmer and lived on into the 90's.
Personally it's my least favorite nut, and I LOVE nuts!

My great, great, great grandaddy was a coal miner who I was named after. I doubt he lived all that long.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 15 2007,21:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
My great, great, great grandaddy was a coal miner who I was named after. I doubt he lived all that long.</div>
your great great granddady was named Quadancer?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ May 15 2007,21:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I live in Georgia, where we grow two things: Peaches and Peanuts.
Thousands of very old folks enjoy these inexpensive little nuggets for years on end, and have been doing so since childhood. Their blood may be goo, but they just won't lay down and die! My great grandaddy was a pnut farmer and lived on into the 90's.
Personally it's my least favorite nut, and I LOVE nuts!

</div>

Almost alll of the men on my fathers side ( his father, his uncles, etc..)  smoked all their lives and lived to well above 90. What should I make of this? Should I smoke? Did I also get their genetics?

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ May 15 2007,17:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I`ve stated before that English is not my first language?Is it relevant?And I built my argument that way intentionally, because I find that your comparison is ill-constructed:we know, beyond doubt, that radiation has additive detrimental effects, depending on its intensity. We don`t know, beyond doubt, that lectins turn ones blood to glue. It`s a wank back and forth in terms of research, it`s not set in stone.

But anyway, some subjects are seemingly religious to you, so I`d rather not debate them because no constructive outcome is likely, and I do find your contribution to be most interesting when you`re not on a subject that stirs this religious fervour, and as such I`d rather not cause you further grief on this. The funny part is that since I`m six weeks out, I can`t touch peanuts(because I`d likely eat more than I should), and I really crave them badly...so I should not stir my cravings further.</div>
It is not a religious subject for me and no grief has been caused.

Peanuts contain lectins. Lectins are used experimentally to model certain cardiovascular diseases. No big deal.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 15 2007,17:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I found some studies about peanut lectin agglutination, but nothing about health problems associated with it.  (unless you have peanut allergies or are lectin-intolerant, which most people are not)

It sounds like some pseudo-science from the paleo-diet.

I did find this recent article:
peanuts</div>
Peanuts contain antioxidants. There are better sources.

The Paleo diet is not pseudo science.

Enjoy the the juice.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 16 2007,00:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">edit...so I don't get banned.  Not worth it.</div>
because you are telling me that peanuts are healthy yet you are juicing.

So I am not allowed to discuss what foods are healthy or not based on my lifestyle decisions? Since when did my personal health choices affect my ability to research nutrition and health?

proving what, that peanuts contain lectins, that there are better nuts and that lectins are not really a great thing to ingest?

Back