Have you ever tried?

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 10 2009,7:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've never tried 5/3/1 or heard of it. But build your bod after about 4 weeks is the best program i've ever tried.</div>
I'm surprised you've never heard of 5/3/1. Jim Wendler has a very good rep. Here's a few reasons why: a 1000lbs squat, a 675lb bench press and a 700lb deadlift.

I like this quote of Jim's:

For 99% of people, strength doesn't happen because of genetics. It takes years and years of work to get there. There is no secret to strength training. All the information is out there, but you better be willing to put in the time.

Ain't that the truth.

HI Lol,

I'm assuming this is strickly a powerlifting routine? If you're into strength gains this sounds like a good routine. With such low reps though i don't think you will &quot;build your bod&quot; but rather get the blocky powerlifter look. If people are looking to focus on strength alone then 5/3/1 or HST would be the best programs. Build Your Bod is suited more for the bodybuilder looking to pack on solid lean muscle.

5/3/1 is an excellent program for the advanced bodybuilder who will likely not grow on 8 to 12 reps anymore. I hope Bod101 gets you to the point where you need to go this route.
smile.gif

Personally, i've tried low rep programs (i'm not sure if they were the same or not) but they were successful for short periods of time as far as building muscle is concerned. The problem i came accross was that i was getting stronger but looking blockier/fatter like a powerlifter which wasn't the objective.

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 11 2009,7:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Personally, i've tried low rep programs (i'm not sure if they were the same or not) but they were successful for short periods of time as far as building muscle is concerned. The problem i came accross was that i was getting stronger but looking blockier/fatter like a powerlifter which wasn't the objective.</div>
So...basically, in your what, 20 years of lifting experience, every program only works over the short run...except Build your Bod?

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?  And in 20+ years, you haven't figured out that looking &quot;blockier/fatter&quot; like a powerlifter is more a product of your diet than your training?  Jesus.

I don't waste my time for months and years on programs that don't work. Anyone with a brain will realize 5/3/1 is optimal for powerlifters.

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 11 2009,11:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't waste my time for months and years on programs that don't work. Anyone with a brain will realize 5/3/1 is optimal for powerlifters.</div>
How are you measuring &quot;works?&quot; Are you consistently keeping track of your weight/body composition/lifts?

Speaking of which, after 20 years, just out of curiosity, what are your lifts?

P.S. What are the odds that gspartan is, in fact, the author of buildyourbod fishing for traffic? The more I look over this thread, the higher that possibility seems.

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 11 2009,6:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...If people are looking to focus on strength alone then 5/3/1 or HST would be the best programs.</div>
C'mon gspartan/george/whomever - the clue is in the name, or maybe H stands for something else and we've all been doing it wrong these past 9+ years?
And wtf does SST mean? you've got me more confused than a brachialis on buildyourbod!

Actually I'm not confused - this is s-a-r-c-a-s-m  
tounge.gif

...and if it's wound you up for the day - then my work here is done.

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 10 2009,7:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've never tried 5/3/1 or heard of it. But build your bod after about 4 weeks is the best program i've ever tried.</div>
you need to get out more
rock.gif

When designing your own program take some additional time researching what is out there so that you are at least able to discuss about it. Saying that you don't know HST, Wendler's, Westside, SS, Korte, Madcow, Sheiko, Bill Starr, Texas, Stronglifts, Max Stim, Myoreps... BUT your method is the best, is lacking on credibility.
My second tip is: know your public. Maybe on some brah-board just saying that X can make your gunz beeg will net you some customers but if you join a board where so many people are interested in the research behind hypertrophy saying that Hypertrophy-specific Training will get you a blocky powerlifter look (??) and that you tell that a program works in 2 weeks even after lifting for 20 years.
That been said, I think your program might work if it follows basic tenets that Scientific Research has shown like a progressive increase in load (be it linear, undulating or whatever) and if there is a period of recovery so that trainees are not overtraining (like a SD or deloading phase).

Mikeynov-after 20 years, the elbows, knees, lower back, etc don't feel as good as they used to, so right now improving strength ins't my main goal. In the past (when i was in my 20's) my best lifts were as follows:

Reverse Grip bar rows-600LBS
Dips-bodyweight (270LBS) + 120LB dumbell between my
ankles for 15-20 reps because my gym only had up to 120's.
Dumb Curls-120 dumbells for reps
Inc Press-320 for 10 reps

Those are probably my best lifts.

I'm currently 255LBS at 5'11. My strength is still there, but it's not my main focus. And once again, after 2-3 weeks you SHOULD know whether or not a program is working for you or not. If you've been training for 3 weeks and you are not seeing any gains, WHY WOULD YOU STICK TO IT?

FAZ-with a wife, kids and a business to run, i try to get out as much as possible, but it's not as easy as when i was single. Thanks for you advice though.

Electric-I do know HST, i was on it off and on for a couple years. Gains after 2-3 weeks STOP. Furthermore, the gains you get the first couple of weeks are as a result of taking 9-14 days off. After 9-14 days off from the gym, any program would get you results initially.

As i've said in the past, you guys are almost as hard headed as H.I.Ters.

Impressive numbers.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm currently 255LBS at 5'11.</div>
If you don't mind my asking, what was your bf level when you were at 270? What do you reckon it is now at 255?

Hi Lol,

To be honest with you i never measured bodyfat. I use/used a tape measure to make sure everything was under control. Back then, my goal was to gain mass and get huge which i did. So i was by no means &quot;ripped&quot; or in contest shape nor did i ever want to be. I was on a really good program but i was training twice a day 6 days a week. Build your Bod is very similar but you only train 3 times a week, and your whole body each session. I've always been drug free and for the most part supplement free.

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 12 2009,9:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As i've said in the past, you  guys are almost as hard headed as H.I.Ters.</div>
I am sorry, since you fail to provide scientific evidence of what you claim and criticise other programs without any real proof except the fact that &quot;you tried and they all stop working after 1-2 weeks&quot;, I fail to see how WE are the hard headed ones. Many of the people here are thriving with HST or other similar (free) programs for months if not years and you wish that we all ignore that and follow your word (devoid of scientific proof) OR ELSE we are hard headed?
I can relate with you trying to sell your product/service but I think is time to work on your pitch. Best of luck.

If HST works for you that's great. As you progress and become more advanced you'll notice your gains will diminish and you'll require something different and more effective.
And, i've only criticized HST and H.I.T programs. No scientific evidence, just plain and simple they don't work long term (long term being more than a couple weeks).

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 11 2009,11:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">

I've never tried 5/3/1 or heard of it.

Anyone with a brain will realize 5/3/1 is optimal for powerlifters.</div>

You gotta love this stuff!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(gspartan @ Dec. 12 2009,8:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Mikeynov-after 20 years, the elbows, knees, lower back, etc don't feel as good as they used to, so right now improving strength ins't my main goal. In the past (when i was in my 20's) my best lifts were as follows:

Reverse Grip bar rows-600LBS
Dips-bodyweight (270LBS) + 120LB dumbell between my
        ankles for 15-20 reps because my gym only had     up to 120's.
Dumb Curls-120 dumbells for reps
Inc Press-320 for 10 reps

Those are probably my best lifts.

I'm currently 255LBS at 5'11. My strength is still there, but it's not my main focus.  And once again, after 2-3 weeks you SHOULD know whether or not a program is working for you or not. If you've been training for 3 weeks and you are not seeing any gains, WHY WOULD YOU STICK TO IT?

FAZ-with a wife, kids and a business to run, i try to get out as much as possible, but it's not as easy as when i was single.  Thanks for you advice though.

Electric-I do know HST, i was on it off and on for a couple years. Gains after 2-3 weeks STOP.  Furthermore, the gains you get the first couple of weeks are as a result of taking 9-14 days off.  After 9-14 days off from the gym, any program would get you results initially.

As i've said in the past, you  guys are almost as hard headed as H.I.Ters.</div>
Something does not compute here.  You claim that only one program in 20 years worked longer than 2-3 weeks before BYB, yet you're posting numbers indicating that you've gained a tremendous amount of muscle/strength from baseline (unless you were born 250+ pounds).

And don't take this the wrong way, but some of your numbers are...a little suspect. Like rows and curls with more weight than Ronnie Coleman has ever used. But this is the internet, so you'd never lie to us!

You had me at &quot;blocky power-lifter look&quot;- (I was going to sit this one out but ...)- exercise selection and diet NOT rep range would be largely responsible for creating a &quot;look&quot;.

At this point in &quot;lifting history&quot; (and for quite sometime actually) there is nothing new under the sun; just new combination's and/or &quot;packaging&quot; of decades old concepts. I'm having a difficult time understanding what makes your program unique? To my cursory glance it appears to have no real intrinsic value that set's it apart from countless other garden variety routines. In fact it's similarities to so many other existing programs render it instantly obsolete IMHO.

Next time you &quot;create&quot; the &quot;best-est&quot; program ever I would recommend digging a little deeper into the subject (routine programming) before thinking your system is market ready- at least for the average HSTer (they tend to be a bit more cerebral compared to many other boards).

You said you were unaware of Wendler's 5,3,1 (which by the way has many varieties including some very effective bodybuilding focused interpretations), You should really study that, Hepburn, Bompa, Zatsiorsky, Pendlay, Rippetoe, Prilepin, really any and every thing you can get a hold of .

You will quickly see the futility of trying to &quot;re-invent the wheel&quot;, and be forced to accept the reality that all you can really do is sell the time worn concepts as new to the naive and unsuspecting (Bodybuilding.com perhaps?).

Of course you'll be in competition with some pretty established &quot;concept re-packagers&quot; (T-nations Thibaudeau, Waterbury etc.etc.), but if you market to the right crowd you just might make enough cash to cover the cost of the books you really should own(and read) before you tell HST that you've discovered a better way.

As for low reps- You're ridiculous &quot;blocky powerlifter &quot; statement indicates that You are completely unaware of low rep's superiority for cutting while holding strength and muscle loss to an absolute minimum so judging by your statement I'm guessing that you believe that high reps are good for definition? You seem incredibly uninformed for such a veteran lifter - but you're just trying to make a buck so I'll give you an &quot;E&quot; for effort...

You've caused my typing finger to get a limb-ripping pump and due to the high volume of this post I'll be expecting a well defined index digit when I wake up tomorrow.
tounge.gif

Since we're telling tall rowing tales I just thought I should share that I once grabbed Ronnie Coleman and Dorian Yates by the hair (Yates was more difficult due to receding hair line), one in each hand- and rowed them while standing on a medicine ball that was balanced precariously on the tip of a space shuttle while it orbited the moon. That was the easy part (due to zero gravity and such), what made this so incredible was that Coleman and Yates were both wiggling around trying to evade the Alien death rays being shot at us and I hadn't had my Celltech that morning...
tounge.gif

Back